276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Man Who Died Twice (The Thursday Murder Club Book 2)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I guess you can probably spot the theme here. Even though this is a super fun mystery, at it's heart this is a story of people making their way in the world and the special bonds they've formed with one another. It’s always a little intimidating reading a sequel to a popular book, because there’s always the danger it will lose some of its shine or run dry on some of the ideas that made its predecessor so successful. I needn’t have worried. Personally, I think this one is even BETTER, and here’s why: Ooh, yes?" says Joyce. "I love this sort of thing. I had my tarot done on the pier once. She said I was going to come into money."

The very short non-spoilery gist is that Elizabeth's slimy secret agent ex-husband shows up and wants her help. Someone is trying to kill him and she's one of the only people he trusts to keep him alive. I need to reread the first book cause I gave that 3.5 stars. Was I wrong? Or does the second book just have my specific tropes? But you may imagine nothing goes as it planned, dead bodies start piling up and our genius foursome find themselves into complex espionage scheme, fighting against real dangerous criminals. Could they survive? Fingers crossed! I don’t want to lose my favorite characters so early!Think of the Thursday Murder Club itself as a senior version of ‘The A-Team’. . .Funny, moving and suspenseful. . . So delicious, even adorable . . A wildly entertaining book.”

This was such a fun read! I started Richard Osman’s The Man Who Died Twice right after finishing with The Thursday Murder Club which I truly enjoyed. The second book in the series does not disappoint. As the cold case turns white hot, Elizabeth wrestles with her conscience (and a gun), while Joyce, Ron and Ibrahim chase down clues with help from old friends and new. But can the gang solve the mystery and save Elizabeth before the murderer strikes again? PC Donna De Freitas slams her head against the dashboard. "Sir, I am begging you. I am literally begging you. Please stop talking about my mum for ten minutes." The truth is, Joyce," says Ibrahim, "maybe you would, and maybe you wouldn't. Fifty-one percent. It's the toss of a coin, and I don't believe that is a risk worth taking. You must never die before your dog."

Lomax has his own problems. He lives on a glorious estate, where he invites the public to visit his gardens (NOT the house!) and where he has all manner of gold, gems, artwork, you-name-it, held as deposits for various drug dealers as they negotiate their swaps. He is careful to a fault, but the public needs to be wary of where they walk. The plot is completely ridiculous, of course, and therein lies my biggest concern with the series. In this one in particular, there's a bit of violence and a number of dead bodies and I just felt like, well, I don't think real people would continue to go along. In particular, I'm not sure the characters he's created here would continue to go along. It's one thing to solve historical murders that have present implications. It's another entirely to get involved with James Bond-level heists and commensurate level killings. Resist the attempt to escalate, Osman. It does you no favors. He has a delightful young assistant called Poppy, and they are trying to fend off Martin Lomax, a middleman who’s laundering money for – well – almost anyone. After MI5 searched Lomax’s house, Lomax claimed his diamonds were missing, so he's threatening Douglas. Douglas appeals to Elizabeth to investigate and find the diamonds.

I've always enjoyed the dual points of view in this series, which alternate between third person omniscient and first person in the form of Joyce's journal. I find Joyce's voice to be particularly delightful and her colorful commentary of the events a real hoot and highlight. It’s taken a mere two books for Richard Osman to vault into the upper leagues of crime writers . . . The Man Who Died Twice. . . dives right into joyous fun.”

Customer reviews

Elizabeth has received a letter from an old colleague, a man with whom she has a long history. He's made a big mistake, and he needs her help. His story involves stolen diamonds, a violent mobster, and a very real threat to his life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment