276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Face

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It was a good base but there wasn't a lot of depth in the characters, there was a lot of telling and not showing (which was the biggest problem in my opinion. It perfectly executes a change in character for Martin, who you go from having a distaste to, to supporting every step of his lifechanging journey. However, Zephaniah redeems himself with his excellent “voice” and descriptions, and relatability within teenagers. With this being my 3rd reading of 'Face' (reading the book twice, and the play once), I still love this book and the message it teaches the reader. It’s just a little too shaky in places, and whilst there aren’t any overt mistakes in terms of grammar and punctuation, I did occasionally find myself being jerked out of the story when somebody behaved strangely or said something unusual.

I read this book ages ago but I remember that it scarred me for life (but in a good way) and made me appreciate things more. I wanted to know more about Martin because I never felt like I got a good grasp of who he is and his personality.

And although his old friends melted away from him, I was glad that Martin was able to make other friends. It also shows us a strong young protagonist who is able to deal with the situation maturely and learn as it goes on. Benjamin Zephaniah is a British performance poet who travels on literary world tours for the British Council.

If you are looking for something grounded in reality which manages to perfectly balance issues around discrimination and prejudice towards appearance, race, culture, and personal interest, then this is a MUST read. He has to come to terms with his new appearance, his parents' reaction to his injuries, and then his friends and the rest of the school. This would be an excellent prompt for discussion about prejudices regarding appearance and our reaction to those less fortunate than ourselves. The other characters are additionally well written - with their portrayals remaining relatable throughout, thanks to Zephaniah's realistic youth dialogue. But one night after the Gang leave a late night rap club, Martin accepts a ride from Pete, a Raider's Posse gang member.It explores the way that – as a society – we take things at face value, and teaches us that what’s inside a person is what counts, and not how they look. This is definitely an important book and the writing is quite simple so I'd recommend it to younger kids and adults as well. meh 🤔🤔🤔🤔 o sea lo leí en inglés y está bueno porque tiene vocabulario y eso pero la historia medio que no me enganchó taaanto.

And then there was the part where Zephaniah said it was a Friday, and in the following scene it was “the next day” and still Friday, somehow.Even in the scene when he looked at his horribly burned and disfigured face for the first time, I was thinking more about how terrible that has to be for anyone rather than feeling especially bad that it happened to the main character, if that makes sense. Zephaniah shows the different ways in which the society/world reacts to huge physical changes and how difficult it can be to cope with it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment