276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ward D: A gripping psychological thriller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As Amy was making her rounds for the evening, she heard a noise coming from Seclusion One. It sounded like someone snarling and growling. But what was worse this person sounded like he was breaking through the door. Amy was terrified, but she knew no matter what she wasn’t going near that room. I listened to this audiobook and really enjoyed the narration by Leslie Howard. She did an amazing job, I look forward to listening to more books narrated by her. Mindless entertainment, be prepared for some wilder than wild behaviors that make this far-fetched, and gives it a feeling of Alice, (or Amy in this case) in Wonderland, falling into a rabbit hole of fantasy, but in the Psych Ward!

Also the author brings up some great points regarding a very very ugly subject - mental illness. I really hope if you read this you take note of her points. They are spot on and though the language used may be offensive it only heightens the points she is making. Her father is a psychiatrist and her mother feels this novel is her best. I think her family knows of what she speaks of. There is not a lot of preaching on mental illness so to speak and in fact I feel that most people will read her point and just keep reading without really thinking of it. Like I said the book is kind of flawed and yet I so enjoyed it. I cannot see any of it happening really but can you see zombie's happening, vampires and werewolves happening? Of course not and yet there are so many great books concerning those subjects. So yeah this is so unlikely and yet so good.

Terrible and harmful representation of mental illness. Missed opportunity... DNF after reading 'crazy'/some other negative bullshit too many times. The writing was piss poor and Amy was as lost as a wet fart in the wind. Jfc. I thought Millie from The Housemaid was a certified dumb-dumb, but Amy said hold my peach iced tea (IYKYK). Also, the narrator's voice made her sound even more immature and daft, so if you want to locate a shred of respect for our dear FMC, I recommend reading with you eyeballs. I'm sorry but even a three-year-old couldn't be gaslighted into thinking that RED JELLY was blood and vice versa. Cmon now. Show me a little respect and go with the ketchup instead. Or even some canned spaghetti-o sauce. You can leave the spaghetti-os in it tbh, still better than RED JELLY???? There are definitely complications with this shift that Amy is about to work. For one thing, she has some familiarity with the psych ward as her best friend Jade was committed when they were both 16 years of age. Due to Jade’s hospitalization at that time, Amy and Jade’s friendship had dissolved. Furthermore, Jade made a statement about Amy state of mind then that still bothers her. Factor this. Jade is on the ward that Amy is working, Ward D. No longer friends by any stretch of the imagination, at the very least Amy just wants to get through the night.

A major head spin filled with twists and turns that McFadden has so regularly and the aspect or her books I love so much! Amy has been dreading her evening working on Ward D, the hospital’s inpatient mental health unit. There are very specific reasons why she never wanted to do this required overnight rotation. Reasons nobody can ever find out .

I received an ARC ( Advance Review Copy) of Freida’s latest book, Ward D. After one night of interrupted sleep, and a break for a few hours watching The Masters golf tournament, it was finished.

Special thanks to Freda McFadden, NetGalley, and Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op for providing the Advance Reader Copy of Ward D. This review is my honest and personal opinion.One of my new favorite's from Freida McFadden . I'm not sure if having worked on a psych ward myself made this book that much more entertaining, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

p.249 Jade always complained about how hard it was to be on antipsychotic medications…… I’m beginning to realize what she has gone through over the last 8 years.While Ward D excels in many aspects, it falls short in its portrayal of mental health. Some readers may feel that the representation of mental health issues is stigmatizing. The negative portrayal of the illnesses represented raises concerns about perpetuating harmful stereotypes. Additionally, the overuse of the word “crazy” and the suggestion that all mentally ill individuals are inherently violent further reinforces these stereotypes. It is important for authors to approach such sensitive topics with caution and ensure that they do not contribute to the stigmatization of mental health conditions. p.96 He’s playing the piano and is just so good. It’s sad that somebody with so much talent had their brain crap out on them like that. Is it true that people with incredible talent are more susceptible to mental illness? i did expect me to love this way more than i did but i still liked it. the housemaid remains my favorite book by this author. I enjoyed the tension that flowed throughout this book. This book grabbed my attention from the beginning and didn't let go. I just had to know what was going to happen on this overnight shift.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment