276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret: Now a major film starring Rachel McAdams and Abby Ryder Fortson

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015): A story as touching as it is heartbreaking, you can see what kind of story Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is going to be right from the title. Focusing on Greg ( Thomas Mann) and his best friend Earl ( RJ Cyler) as they form a meaningful friendship with Rachel ( Olivia Cooke), a young woman who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Though the title might seem like a spoiler, the journey these three teenagers go on is one that's impossible to forget. Well, here is where the school librarian (once again) saved the day by placing Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret in my hands. That woman always seemed to sense my love of books, my silence, and my needs. Side note related to the comment above: The key plot of the story is Margaret trying to decide which religion she wants to be – if any. I was reading online that this book has been censored and banned in some places because of its take on Christianity. As a Christian myself, this is ridiculous – and the behavior of the Christians in the book is ridiculous. No one should be made to feel bad about exploring what feels comfortable to them and, if they decide one thing over another, that is their choice and no one else’s business. The way she is treated in this book I am not surprised she responds the way she does! Personally, I think we need more books like this that tactfully yet unflinchingly talk about the facts of life in a voice appropriate for the target audience.

a b Blume, Judy. "Judy Blume on the Web: Judy Blume Talks About Censorship". judyblume.com. Judy Blume. Archived from the original on December 1, 2013 . Retrieved November 30, 2016.As fall turns to winter, Margaret accompanies Janie to church (which seems the same as temple, except that the service is all in English) and the PTA puts on a square dance for the sixth graders. Margaret is excited to dance with Philip until she discovers that like most of the boys, he steps on the girls’ feet. In December, Margaret and her friends look through an anatomy book and one of Margaret’s dad’s Playboy magazines—they think naked men look weird, and Nancy in particular wants to look like the women in Playboy. Margaret also discovers that Mom sent a Christmas card to her estranged parents. What a powerful little book. Sure, it is a coming of age story about a pre-teen girl in the late 1960s, early 1970s, but it feels like a story with lessons and ideas that are important to everyone in any era. I can see why this is on many must read lists. Part of that is understandable, since I do run around ranting all the time. But not about the big G and how he done me wrong. I tend to scream about human failings. Grobar, Matt (July 1, 2021). " 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret': Lionsgate Wraps Production On Feature Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood . Retrieved July 1, 2021. Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus | S3E16 | Southpark-online.nl". southpark-online.nl . Retrieved September 23, 2022.

But also so necessary," McAdams continues. "And to be able to go to your parent with questions and know you won't be judged and you will be embraced for whoever you are becoming and are - I think that's so beautiful. I had that in my own life and it served me really well."

Also, I got the overwhelming feeling that their male teacher, is in fact, a pervert. He held his gaze with Margaret too long for my liking, and he enjoyed looking at one of the girls that was an early developer. He also made Margaret feel dreadfully uncomfortable when she stated she hated religious holidays. What might be wrong about that, I ask? Gretchen Potter – Margaret's friend and the first member of the Pre-Teen Sensations to get her period Image: Abby Ryder Fortson stars in Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Pic: Dana Hawley/Lionsgate UK We could talk about characters in other books, because talking about characters is so much easier than talking about yourself or your mom. So, it's not "me and you." It's "Karen and her mother" or, you know, it's another character and her parent. And so we were sometimes able to do that. It got harder when they were mid-teenage years. I mean, those are hard years.

The current angst over books ties into broader concerns about access to information. Last month, the Florida House of Representatives passed a bill that would bar schools from discussing menstruation until middle school. (Had its sponsor read Margaret, he might have known that a girl can get her period in fourth grade.) Even if these bills never make it into law, they’re living symbols of the vast divide between what some adults want kids to know and what many of those kids can find out on their own. The first Judy Blume books I read. . . served as a kind of introduction to myself.”— John Green quoted in The New York Times a b "11 Facts About Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret". Mental Floss. March 18, 2021 . Retrieved September 4, 2022. Stories like this don't do much to help people like me, who don't insist that everyone share our worldview but would like to be believed when we say we have such a worldview. And this does come up quite a bit. a b "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret: Why was it banned?". Books on Trial . Retrieved September 4, 2022.The film opens with Margaret returning home from summer camp in New Hampshire only to learn that her family is moving from their New York City apartment to a New Jersey suburb. In the book, Margaret suspects that a large motivation for her parents’ decision to move is to separate from Sylvia, her overbearing yet fun Jewish grandmother. “She doesn’t have a car, hates buses, and she thinks trains are dirty,” Margaret tells us in the book. “So unless Grandma plans to walk, which is unlikely, I won’t be seeing much of her.” My niece is 10 years old now and she is really trying to figure out this growing up thing. She is wanting more time with girlfriends to talk about stuff. I gave her my copy of this book to read that I read when I was about 10 or 11 years old. It's a very old copy now. She read the book in 2 days and said it was good. I decided to re-read this classic and be able to talk with her about the book. I loved Margaret as an 11-year-old, and when I introduced her to my 10-year-old this week, I found my daughter felt exactly the same way. It was weird; nothing had really changed. It was still life, adolescence, social politics, love and fear.

According to Margaret, God was not Christian. Neither was He Muslim nor Jewish... For sweet young Margaret, God was not a religious entity. He was just a Higher Comrade she could turn to, whenever she needed a slight push to keep going ... I knew you’d ask me about him! Fudge was based on my son, Larry, when he was a toddler. Larry never swallowed a turtle, though. That idea came from a news article about a toddler who actually did swallow one! Now Larry has grown up but I still get ideas form him. He’s the one who told me about swallowing a fly while riding his bike. That’s how I got the idea for the I.S.A.F. club in Fudge-a-mania.Recommended for young readers; teachers looking for curriculum reads; Judy Blume fans; fans of middle grade fiction with a lit fic feel Top 100 Banned/ Challenged Books: 2000-2009". ALA.org. American Library Association. March 26, 2013. Archived from the original on December 13, 2016 . Retrieved December 10, 2016. Some of these issues, the young characters must come to terms with under ironic, satirical circumstances. They need information, but must judge the information they receive for conflicts with their own experiences and interests. Blume made a post-publication edit to subsequent editions of the book to reflect changing menstrual products. [9] Plot [ edit ] Small, skinny, a late developer. At first, very shy and fearful. Then, around fourth grade, much more outgoing. (I can’t explain this change.) I enjoyed drama, dancing, singing, painting and performing. I loved to roller skate (we didn’t have roller blades then). I also loved going to the movies and browsing at the public library. I was always reading something.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment