276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Bear (Little Bear, 1)

£2.975£5.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is a great little read for the young and the young at heart. My son really loved this book. It was one of 6 in a box set he got for reading 10 days this summer. It was really interesting watching how excited he was with the story and the illustrations. And I can give it 2 thumbs up! The English books are categorized as I Can Read Series Beginner Level 1. Since we are mainly focusing on Chinese learning at home, we have not yet read the English versions of the Little Bear books.

Of course, if you are going to read this, you definitely have to do the voices for Little Bear, Mother Bear, and all of the animals. Therefore, I recommend these English and Chinese bridge books to help kids gain confidence and reading stamina as they transition from simple picture books to chapter books. This is the what the reader will question while reading this story. What else can Big Bear do to help Little Bear? What if Little Bear never falls asleep at night-time? The reader becomes curious as to where the story is going which at the same time makes it an intriguing read. The story also has humour as Little Bear seems to be driving Big Bear crazy!The 小熊 was easy for my daughter because it mainly discusses different types of clothing. Previously, my daughter learned to read clothing-related characters from our free bilingual printable clothing flashcards . Getting used to long passages Else Holmelund Minarik's five Little Bear books, which followed their eponymous ursine hero through some of the adventures of childhood, were one of the staples of my own personal library as a girl, and I recall reading them over and over again, until my copies fell apart. Gentle and reassuring, they are also wonderfully and subtly humorous, offering a perfectly realized depiction of a young child's interaction with the people and places in his own small world. Like subsequent installments, this first title contains four stories, each of which gently highlights some reality of child life.

However, t here is still an ample amount of illustrations which are soft on the eyes and have lovely detail that supports the text. Recently, I have been taking these stories out again because my 2-year-old son likes animal stories. He really likes the illustrations and the repetitive nature of the writing, often echoing what I am saying. He only knows a few simple Chinese characters (eg, 小) and likes to point them out when he notices them! Chinese character review with Little Bear Books I absolutely love this book! It has such emotional importance to me as my third daughter had breathing difficulties when she was born and spent the first 5 weeks of her life in NICU. My eldest daughter chose this book from home to take to hospital and read to her. It ended up being the only book we read during those long and heartbreaking 5 weeks. My daughter suffered severe brain damage during her birth and as such we are unsure about her future ie. we are somewhat ‘in the dark’ and very scared. It was relatable to us on so many levels; a little baby bear being afraid of the dark/the unknown and the big bear trying to help by shedding some light on the situation. The bit about them going out of the cave into the big dark unknown and the little bear being scared resonated with us as we were terrified about taking our baby out into the unknown. Amazing. Can’t read it now without bawling my eyes out. However, even if you havent had a horrendous and dramatic birth experience it’s still a very sweet and funny book and I highly recommend it as a bedtime story. We listened to all of the stories and read most of them on and off during this time period when she doing the 四五快读 curriculum.This book is about Little Bear who cannot fall asleep because he's afraid of the dark. Little Bear tosses and turns as he tries to sleep but to no avail. Big Bear sees Little Bear in distress so he stops reading his book and gives Little Bear a small lantern to sleep with, however, it seems this isn't enough for Little Bear. Little Bear still tosses and turns so Big Bear has to stop reading his book again to get him some more light. But again, Little Bear cannot sleep because there is too much dark inside as well as outside! Big Bear doesn't know what to do, there is dark everywhere, how is Big Bear supposed to light up all the dark at night-time? This book is an example of a picture book because the text is brief, and the illustrations greatly enhance the story narrative. Since the series was originally written in English, the content is relatable for non-native learners such as our Chinese American family. Why Little Bear books are an excellent bridge for budding readers 1. Repetition Little Bear is a picture book that contains four stories in it. Although I read all four stories, I will summarize the first story titled, "What Will Little Bear Wear?" The story is about a bear who goes outside to play and gets cold. The little bear comes inside several times and tells his mother that he is cold playing outside. Each time that little bear comes inside because he is cold, his mother gives him another article of clothing to put on to keep warm when he is playing outside. Finally, the mother has given the little bear everything that she can think of to keep him warm, and little bear decides that what he really needs is a fur coat. Little bear removes all of the clothing that the mother bear has given him, and goes out to play as he originally was in his own fur coat. This time, however, little bear is warm.

In both English and Chinese, the story line has quite a bit of repetition which will help readers practice and memorize unfamiliar Chinese characters or English words throughout a chapter. Also assuming he effectively masters the characters from Si Wu Kuai Du, would he be ready to read bridged storybooks? A few parents have told me that the stories are too repetitive and therefore mundane for their child, so please keep that in mind. We often don’t know which books will be a hit or drag until we try it! 2. Font size and spacing I have come across this book whilst on my first placement in a Special School. My severe learning difficulties nursery class are reading the book as part of their literacy lessons which they absolutely love. However as they are so young and don’t yet have the cognitive ability to have this book read to them fully as a class they have the story read to them as a sensory story – which I have found fascinating. The first three books in the Little Bear series were all published by Harper and Brothers. In 1962, Harper and Brothers merged with Row, Peterson, and Company to form the new company Harper and Row, which published the next book in 1968. Harper and Row then merged with William Collins in 1990 to form HarperCollins Publishers LLC, which published the final book in the series.

I think this will be a great set for my daughter to read in English in the future. What’s inside the Little Bear Books? The popularity of Else Holmelund Minarik's I Can Read Books about Little Bear has continued across generations. These timeless classics feature beautiful, detailed illustrations from Maurice Sendak, the Caldecott Medal-winning creator of Where the Wild Things Are. Because the animals talk about wearing clothes, going fishing with dad, celebrating a birthday, imagination, and friendship, the series are great for building up common, everyday Chinese parenting and family vocabulary. These books are geared to readers 4-8 years of age. At 8 my son could read the whole book but loves sharing stories. But to be honest even as an adult there is something really enjoyable in these stories. Assuming that he effectively masters the characters introduced in Si Wu Kuai Du, which level should I start from for Odonata?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment