276°
Posted 20 hours ago

No Job for a Lady: Series 1 [DVD]

£2.495£4.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Its 1896 and Violets mum disappeared ten years ago and Violet now has the opportunity to hire a private detective to find her.. but it’s not going the way she has envisioned. A quirky and fun read, there's no doubt that Violet has gumption and tenacity, but also a tender heart and an insatiable curiosity which leads her to finding the answers she's longed for. Never before have I gone out of town all by myself, because it's not proper etiquette for a single woman to travel without a companion. Well, why is it proper etiquette for a man to travel alone? Once again, rules made by men. Why should they have all the fun? Besides, this is something I have wanted to do forever, and even though I realize this is probably not the smartest time to make this decision, being that I am going into a foreign country where I don't speak the language, I'm glad I'm doing it. Historical Fiction fans ought to add this to their to read lists, especially those who hanker after pure entertainment and escapism.

Cat got your tongue? It's just dinner. I thought you'd like the company. Frankly, I felt sorry for you because you appear to be a woman alone. A bit worried, are you, out in the world all by yourself?" So, she decides to try and do something about it and hires a private detective – Frank Knight – to find out what happened to her mother. The thing is, Frank Knight isn’t a very good detective, Violet is sure she could do a better job herself. The thought appeals to her…

#= data.dataItem.date #

No Life For A Lady by Hannah Dolby was such a treat to read! Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC. Violet is a narrator whose voice you never tire of and I would adore to read more of her "Lady Detective" escapades in the future! There are some really terrific laugh out loud moments throughout this story. Violet is a pill and her inner thoughts can be a riot. Benjamin is a sweet cuddly teddy bear that you just want to squeeze and hold tight.

Charming, exhilarating, fabulously funny and so full of heart – Violet is the heroine I've been waiting for.' Daisy Buchanan This is not just a book about a mystery- it’s about women breaking conventions and making a place for themselves in the world regardless of what society dictates to them. The romance sub-plot adds a further dimension to the story and I loved the banter between Bernard and Viola. Another stand out character is Mrs Monks- she’s a tyrant to Viola but their interactions bring about some of the funniest scenes in the book.

See also

This book is a joy.. I was a little wary of it at first but I soon warmed up and fell in love with Violet.. it is a joyful, funny read which you will be rooting for Violet and rooting for Violet to experience the world which she has been hidden away from.. I hope that this book is going to be the first of many adventures that that we have with Violet and her desire to become a lady detective.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment