276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Port Charlotte 10 Year Old, Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If we decide not to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms, such decision shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.

I’ve never tasted Bruichladdich’s new make, so I can’t speak to that directly, but I’m assuming it’s good since they’re able to put out fantastic tasting whiskies at low ages. You can’t do that with mediocre new make. I’d point to examples like Kilchoman, Penderyn and Paul John. All three have produced stellar whisky at a young age and whose new make I’ve been able to taste and they’re delicious. I wanted to state this under a separate headline. Bruichladdich offers three different styles. Unpeated Laddie, heavily peated Port Charlotte and super heavily peated Octomore. Unlike the numbers we see on Octomore (which is 80+ ppm), Port Charlotte 10 Year Old is at 40 ppm.On the nose: Far less ashy than the initial pours. In fact, it’s smells much more like actual smoke now. The earthy peatiness is present and the citrus scents are a touch stronger. Less of a lemon pledge, more of a grilled lemon albeit one that has been left on the grill for far too long. An old, wet piece of seaweed and a slight perfume-y note have evolved as well. I think there might be the smell of a fresh cigar in there as well, but that could very well just be my imagination. We may, but are not under any obligation, to release new functionalities and tools or other features for the Service every now and then. Any new functionalities, tools and features shall be part of and governed by the Terms from the moment they are launched and/or available. Further, we reserve the right to modify, change, discontinue the Service, add or remove features, update the Service, change its appearance, temporarily and permanently, at any time, in whole or any part thereof. Recently I reviewed the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 and that review is the root of this deeper dive. My source of truth for flavor profiles and the information in it will be expanded here as we dissect, and play with, this fantastic whisky. Breaking Down Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10

When it comes to the flavor of all peated Bruichladdich it’s important to note where the peat used to smoke the barley comes from: the Scottish Highlands – not Islay. This is what gives all their peated whiskeys more of a BBQ smoke, like what you get in Ardmore, VS the more plasticy/band-aid smoke found in whiskies like Bowmore. Excuse me, did I say oxidation? I was mistaken, the process of oxidation does not occur to whisky in a bottle. Now hear me out, that doesn’t mean the liquid doesn’t change, it just means that oxidation specifically doesn’t occur. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that is characterised by a molecule/individual atoms/ions losing one or more of its electrons to another molecule/individual atoms/ions. Basically, something that loses electrons is oxidized and something that gains electrons is reduced. That seems counterintuitive because why would something that acquires matter be labelled “reduced”? It has to do with the fact that an electron has a negative electric charge. The more electrons you have, the more “negative” or “reduced” the overall charge on the molecule becomes. At the time, we dutifully listened, but now have added the unveiled names of the whiskies to each sample. Whisky A – Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky For relatively new whisky drinkers, Bruichladdich has been highlighted as a whisky to chase when the opportunity arises, perhaps owing to the release of popular documentaries of late. Is Bruichladdich, and its many peated and unpeated products, worth the chase? If you are like me, I had to indulge in the hunt to find out for myself. The finish lasts significantly longer than either of the other Port Charlottes and is not as easy or traditionally pleasant. Lingering dark coffee ground bitterness and a wet campfire smoke remain minutes after taking your last sip. I enjoy dark chocolate and espresso so these flavours are not wholly unpleasant to my taste preferences but they are surprising considering the red wine cask usage.Whiskybase B.V. (“Whiskybase”, “we” or “us”, company details below) offers a whisky enthusiasts online platform that provides its members access to the most comprehensive, transparent and trusted resource of whisky bottles and allows and stimulates its members to contribute information about whisky bottles to the platform (“Service”).

People, I have literally reviewed over 40 Bruichladdich whiskies on Malt – what else do you want me to say about the place? PALATE: After the elegant nose, I was expecting a softer dram. But it is all bold Islay with peat and wood spices balanced with smoke and toasted nuts. Oak and honey with bits of salt and malt. Very drinkable. Water softens the peat and brings more caramel sweetness to the front. It softens the wood spice but doesn’t diminish the peaty notes. The higher ABV is barely noticeable. I finished my first glass without adding water and had to pour a second glass. Unless mandatory applicable law provides otherwise, your use of and membership to the Service are exclusively governed by Dutch law. We shall first try to settle any dispute over a dram of whisky. Disputes that cannot be settled over multiple drams of whisky shall be solely submitted to the court of Amsterdam, The Netherlands unless mandatory applicable law provides otherwise.

Other ‘Of the Year 2021’ Winners

The end result is that the water:ethanol ratio in the bottle increases over time, slightly diluting the whisky and causing the oils to separate a little bit more. It’s similar to adding a few drops of water to the whisky in your glass, except instead of increasing the water volume we are decreasing the ethanol volume. Either way, the ratio of water:ethanol has increased. This can reach a critical point where too much ethanol is lost and the contents of the bottle can taste “flat”. Just like some whiskies can take a little water better than others, some can handle ethanol evaporation better than others. Let’s have a look at how well Laphroaig stands up to the process! The Vermouth I used was a “perfect” blend of 50% dry vermouth and 50% red vermouth. Tasting the two versions side-by-side I was impressed by both and found the Campari and Vermouth both enhanced, more than they distracted from, the spirit. However, a victor had to emerge and that victor was Version 2. It was a bit more balanced and kept the PC 10 more front-and-center while also adding a complex herbal and candy sweetness from the Campari and Vermouth. PC 10 Scotch “Negroni” Recipe In my last review, it was noted that a comparison of tasting notes for Laphroaig 10 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask had been in the works before my laptop gave out after exactly 11 years of service, literally to the day, and taking my work with it. At last, the time has come to finally redo that piece. Without prejudice to the section Liability below, the Service may be temporarily unavailable during maintenance, updates, etc. We shall make reasonable efforts to inform you of any unavailability due to maintenance or updates. In the mouth: Still thin and almost watery but much less hot than the first pours from the bottle. Salty, ashy, and medicinal are still the dominant flavours but there is certainly a much stronger sour lemon-lime flavour that has come out over time. The seaweed flavour is also much less raw and vegetal, more salty and “cooked” if that makes sense.

This year’s winner, Port Charlotte is a superb rich and smoky whisky with a maritime tang – a worthy winner of the title.” Port Charlotte 10 On the nose: Wood ashes, tobacco ashes, burned leather, extremely faint caramel. Faint iodine and medical notes. Actually, at least there’s something a bit different about this release and that’s nothing to do with the whisky itself. It’s about the container that the whisky arrived in. The bottle. A new bottle design, in fact! For Port Charlotte has been given a bit of a facelift, a gentle rebrand, a bit of TLC. All things considered, it’s pretty good compared to many other offerings from the distillery. Score: 6/10 Laphroaig 10 Year Old – One Year Later – Review For the sake of consistency, both of these bottles were stored in the same cabinet, inside their respective canisters, in the dark, at room temperature of 21 degrees Celsius and relatively low humidity. The corks remained intact and were never removed from the bottles for a period greater than 5 minutes.Nothing in the Terms shall exclude or limit our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or for death or personal injury resulting from gross negligence or willful misconduct by us. Seville orange marmalade, Bay leaf, Jasmine tea, Peach ice tea. Roasted pulled pork smoke, end of BBQ coals, cold ashy peat notes and earthy, wet moss. This is darker, colder and heavier than Whisky E’s fruity peat character and goes through waves on the palate. Where Octomore is the Bruichladdich heavily peated expression, Port Charlotte is closer to the standard level of Islay peat. The Port Charlotte 10 yo whisky is non-chill-filtered and with natural colour. An initial fleeting taste of red berries before they’re buried by smouldering peat smoke. Tinges of barley sugar appear at various stages of enjoyment only to be enveloped in peat smoke once again. Then follows a cacophony of strong bitter notes forming a barely sweetened dark chocolate torte with a red berry compote and caramel sauce drizzle with a dark roast espresso as your dessert digestif. At all times, a moderate peppery tingle keeps your attention.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment