276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lockwood & Co: The Empty Grave: Book 5 (Lockwood & Co.)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I felt like The Empty Grave& The Creeping Shadow are far more darker then other books in the series. There's a heavier feel to both books along with a shadow of death that's following the crew. This is what the Problem means,” he went on. “This is the effect it has. Lives lost, loved ones taken before their time. And then we hide our dead behind iron walls and leave them to the thorns and ivy. We lose them twice over, Lucy. Death’s not the worst of it. We turn our faces away.” I don’t want this series to end but I’m already at the fifth book and I know this ending is going to hurt! I don’t even know why, but I have a feeling that I’m probably going to cry an ocean while I read this.

I love this series so much, the characters are funny ... the ghosts are awesome. An Awful Lot of Reading The novel opens with Lucy and her friends sneaking into the well-protected Fittes Mausoleum, where Marissa is buried. Marissa was once a renowned female physic in London. The authorities forbid any person to visit the mausoleum of the Fittes because they want to preserve the history of ghost investigators. However, Lucy and her friends are determined to sneak into the mausoleum to uncover the origin of ghost incursions in Britain. When the team lucratively tiptoes into the mausoleum, they find Marissa's coffin with a missing corpse. For one thing, I think the Marissa/Penelope twist was introduced way too late in the series, so we never really got to settle in with her as an antagonist. I wish Stroud had established her as the Big Bad right from the beginning (while still saving the big bombshell about her identity for a later book) so we could enjoy the characters grappling with her throughout the series instead of wasting time on lesser villains (Stroud half-heartedly tries to keep the Winkmans relevant as villains in at least three books, and I would forget who they were every single time) Ultimately, the Marissa storyline felt very rushed, with everything getting crammed into the last book before we could adjust to the new information.The humor also remained a high point with the Skull delivering some of the BEST lines out of anyone. He may seem harsh and insensitive at times - especially with his constant jabs at Lucy or his frequently expressed desire for more violence along with the deaths of everyone he meets - but he became one of the most enjoyable parts of the entire series. Then there's Kipps. Can we talk about how freaking awesome Kipps became later in the series?! And this book was the pinnacle of it. Kipps dry humour was just a pleasure and seeing him and George go at it was just priceless. But I also live for Kipps' soft side. Kipps is just amazing.

You’ve heard of racism. You’ve heard of sexism. Well, this is skullism, pure and simple. You’re judging me by my outward appearance. You doubt my word solely because I’m a skull lurking in a jar of slime-green plasm. Admit it!” young-adult. Хоча його цільовою аудиторією є підлітки, дорослим його читати буде також цікаво. Локвуд майстерно вибудовує світ альтернативного Лондона, закручує інтриги, які в перших частинах нагадують детективи, а от в останніх вже ближчі до трилерів чи пригодницьких романів. Це читання, яке, якби це не звучало дивно, заспокоює. Це оповідь, яка тримається не лише на інтризі та загадці, але на цінностях та емпатії до персонажів. Вони переживають проблеми, більш близькі підліткам, але які будуть знайомі і зрозумілі дорослим. А через це - навіть якщо ви знаєте спойлери - читати романи буде цікаво. Наприклад, я перші дві книги спершу "побачив", тобто переглянув екранізацію. А вже потім їх прочитав. І ні про що не шкодую: серіал додав картинки до тексту, але з часом "книжкові" образи витіснили "серіальні". Принаймі, Джордж Кабінс чи Кіпс для мене будуть "книжковими". Люсі та Локвуд - "серіальними", але лише тому, що актори дуже близькі до книжкових оригіналів. the characters. MY GOD, THE CHARACTERS. i haven't felt this way about a group of friends since harry potter. Brilliant as ever. Spectator I enjoyed it so much, I hope there will be yet another book soon to follow in this fabulously told series. Amazed Earthling, with Guardian Children's BooksStroud honestly has such a refreshing style in that sometimes he doesn't deliver what you expect. And even he doesn't deliver exactly what I want how I want, what he does do ends up blowing me out of the water anyway. The unpredictable nature of his books was just delicious. So many things surprised me and caught me off guard, there were things I didn't even catch or notice until discussing them with someone else and then having a massive moment of realisation. I totally agree with you in that I immediately thought the skull is bartimaeus in a jar. Both allegedly evil, with the same wonderfully abrasive personality, and the same beautiful loyalty and insight on the concept of trust. I thought Lucy was more like Kitty rather than Nathaniel, however; also, the bit about the Other Place prematurely aging visitors is very much like the Spirit Realm in the Bartimaeus books. Not only did Lucy's friendship with him strengthen, but the skull himself actually began to show attachment to her. He wouldn't talk to anyone other than her (even when the team was on the Other Side and the others could hear him too) and he helped her with her cases despite constantly claiming that he had no intentions of doing it for any reason other than his own gain. You’re an evil man *whispers* when is book 6 being released again ;) ;) ;) I wont tell anyone :) :) promise :)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment