276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Deal (Off-Campus Book 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The two form an unlikely alliance when Garrett offers to help Hannah with her music studies in exchange for her helping him pass a philosophy class. I give her a little wave, then leave the choir room and head outside. One of my favorite things about Briar is the campus. The buildings, ancient and covered with strands of ivy, are connected to each other by cobblestone paths lined with sweeping elms and wrought-iron benches. Just out of curiosity,” she says, “after you wake up in the morning, do you admire yourself in the mirror for one hour or two?” Despite repeated refusals from Hannah, Garrett is eventually successful in his quest to have Hannah tutor him. They make a deal – she will help him pass the midterm make up test and he will take her out to a party where Kohl will be, thus improving her social cred and making her seem unattainable – something Garrett assures Hannah is necessary if she wants a date with “loverboy”.

The fact that this is a dual POV romance book helps the reader to really understand the characters, as you see a situation from two differing perspectives. While it might seem like a typical college romance on the surface, The Deal brings much-needed nuance and complexity to the genre. While there are many college romances out there, I feel like The Deal was a refreshing take and there are many books that are similar, but nothing exactly like The Deal.

Kennedy’s sharp writing and sensitive portrayal of serious issues make this novel both hilarious and heart-wrenching, and the chemistry between Hannah and Garrett is off-the-charts. That gets her attention. She straightens up like someone shoved a metal rod up her spine, then swivels her head in astonishment. “What?” She looks so upset that I feel a pang of sympathy. Nell and I aren’t best pals or anything, but we’ve been sitting next to each other since September so it’s only reasonable that we’ve gotten to know each other. She’s on the pre-med path, and I know she comes from an overachieving family who would tar and feather her if they found out about her midterm grade.

However, Kennedy adds depth and nuance to the story by dealing with serious themes such as sexual assault, abusive relationships, and mental health issues. Similarly, Garrett’s struggles with anxiety and depression are also sensitively depicted, with a focus on the physical symptoms that often accompany these conditions. What could have been better… Hannah goes home for Christmas and is all mopey. She calls Garrett on New Year’s to wish him a happy birthday. Philosophical Ethics was supposed to be a breeze. The prof who used to teach it handed out brainless multiple choice tests and a final “exam” consisting of a personal essay that posed a moral dilemma and asked how you’d react to it. She snorts. “Uh-huh. Well, sorry to burst your bubble, Mr. Perfect, but I’m not interested in dating you.”What sets The Deal apart from other romances in the college romance trope, however, is Kennedy’s ability to balance the heavier themes with humor and heart.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment