276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Overland

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And, second, by selecting a route that was closer to the Equator (where the Earth bulges) than the routes taken by the handful of expeditions that had previously driven around the Earth, we sought to set a record, an unbeatable record, for the longest such journey ever made. In quest of those goals, we crossed five continents, traversed six of the world’s most inhospitable deserts, and drove from the lowest place on Earth, at the Dead Sea, to within sight of the world’s highest, in Nepal. Overland Airways is based at Murtala Muhammed International Airport, although the airline also has a hub at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. Overland Airways Destinations If you are unable to make an Overland Booking online, you can always give them a call to make a phone reservation on the following numbers: Overland Flight Reservation Center: This book has everything you need in a read. Humour, entertainment, love, a dash of tension and, best of all, plenty of inspiration. BooksTeaAvocado There are too many good reads in the overland book genre, so here are some other titles very much worth your time.

A journey that I don't think could be made again today'. It was this comment by Sir David Attenborough on the fiftieth anniversary of the iconic First Overland expedition that became an irresistible challenge for filmmaker and adventurer Alex Bescoby. One of the most legendary and epic overland stories of all time is the 1955 Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition. The trip took 7 months and traveled over 12,000 miles, from London to Singapore in two 1956 Land Rover Series 1 Station Wagons.Excerpt from the book:“Time to stop beating around the bush and pretending that there’s anything other on your mind than a chunky fourbie. Sure, it’s a lifestyle phenomenon with an image of aspiring adventurousness and the desire to (literally) stand above the crowd, but you’re not aspiring, you’re actually taking your four-wheeler right to the places that feature so commonly in the ads.” Read ‘Overlanders’ Handbook’ ‘The Book of Independence: Around the World in 10 Years’ by Pablo Rey Bescoby is a terrific travelling companion, full of insight, sharp observation and enviable sangfroid.

The Longest Road: Overland in Search of America, from Key West to the Arctic Ocean by Philip Caputo Excerpt from the book:“I’ll never forget that Monday when I put the barrel of a gun to my head and fired until I was out of bullets, without stopping to think of what I was doing so I wouldn’t have a chance to change my mind. It was my resignation to a future which I already knew, a farewell to a secure job, an adieu to a brilliant career in advertising, the microcosm where I had lived for the last twelve long years. It was ten minutes after ten in the morning and my last words were, more or less ‘keep the corpse, I’m leaving.’ My body collapsed and I walked out the door.” Alex Bescoby weaves travel, adventure, history and the contemporary together like no one else. His great gift is to take us on a journey through past and present.' Dan Snow All of the women behind this book have a deep wealth of knowledge on what overland travel is all about, from living for years on the road themselves to guiding overland 4×4 trips for others around the globe. Read ‘I Can. I Will. Women Overlanding the World’ ‘Overlanding in the Southeastern United States’ by Izzy SanchezA completely different aspect of this book is that it’s written based on Birgit’s diaries rather than purely my own. She was a very important part of this journey and it was vital to me that she didn’t get sidelined as ‘the girlfriend’. She’s certain she isn’t a writer, so left that to me.

Excerpt from the book: “Camel Trophy was neither a race nor a rally, but a combination of adventure, expedition, competition and a unique display of personal courage, resilience and driving ability.” Read ‘Camel Trophy’ 12 Honorable Mentions: Overland Books In the book, Alex Bescoby recounts a journey of lifetime, a 13,000 mile recreation of the iconic 1955 First Overland Expedition. Combining his passion for adventure and love of history, Alex investigates how the world has changed since the First Overland, exploring themes of family ties, post-colonialism and the Land Rover religion, whilst also taking us behind the scenes of this truly epic adventure. A journey that I don’t think could be made again today’. It was this comment by Sir David Attenborough on the fiftieth anniversary of the iconic First Overland expedition that became an irresistible challenge for filmmaker and adventurer Alex Bescoby.The book – named by Waterstones as one of the ‘Best Travel Books of 2022’, and shortlisted for the 2023 Edward Stanford Travel Writing Awards - ties in with the major four-part Last Overland TV series, which premiered in the UK on Channel 4’s on-demand service All 4 on 29 September 2022. I like this kind of thing! Like, "guy goes on long somewhat foolish adventure and writes an amateur self published book about it." The authors argue it is “the longest and last motor journey around the world.” It’s hard to argue with that, as the route, closest to the equator, around the globe that the duo took is fraught with all types of political turmoil in today’s world. Whether read physically on paper or through digital means like Kindle, books about overland travel are well worth your time. From true classics to the latest releases, our best overland book list has it all. The Last Overland is an epic overland journey, epitomising the spirit of the great modern adventure.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment