276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bruckner: Complete Symphonies [George Tintner] [Naxos: 8501205]

£15.995£31.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For the performance of 1876, the inner movements were not altered, the violin solo in the Adagio was kept, and the internal Scherzo repeats remained cancelled. In the first movement, a cut was made in the coda. In the Finale, the fantasy on the second theme following the “Neuer Satz” was made more concise, a cut was also made in the coda, the peroration was recomposed and the additional trombone was removed. [9] Second Version, 1877 [ edit ] Marek Janowski with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande - Pentatone Classics SACD PTC 5186 448, 2012

I believe I mentioned once that I experienced LIVE (front-row center) in the Cathedral in Speyer the Ninth conducted (in 1972) by Celebidache with the Stadtsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz. He had to take it pretty slowly because of the echo! The Scherzo was mind-blowing---a wonderful experience! If you assemble a set via different conductors, here's some thoughts: (I'll skip the ones you already have, and try to stay cheap.) Some of it has to do with the differences between European and American brass instruments. European instruments are constructed in such a way as to "burnish", or take the sharp edges off the sound whereas American instruments usually sound harsher. I read somewhere that to a certain extent the differences in sound is caused by the differences between rotary valved and piston valved instruments. Walter's Fourth is truly in a class by itself, also according to my wife, me and musical friends. There's heart and soul there---and wonderful sound!

The Internet's Premier Classical Music Source

I have Chailly on Decca, which I also admire, and recently borrowed Solti/Chicago from my library which I also enjoyed very much.

Yoav Talmi ,Oslo Philharmonic,Chandos LP. Includes the Caragan version of the finale. I'm a true believer in this controversial completion.But Tintner can also go spectacularly wrong, as with the choice of the original, 1887 version of the Eighth, which ends with a fortissimo climax as opposed to the wonderful and devastating pianissimo ending of the 1890 version. I'm not sure that Tintner really believes that the 1887 version is musically superior (I hope not!). In the liner notes he makes the guarded comment that the original version "shows an almost primitive spontaneity". Georg Tintner conducting the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, 1996 (using a pre-publ. Carragan ed.), Naxos

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment