276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Elsewhere

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Powerful and thought provoking in the way that recalls Lois Lowry’s The Giver, this bittersweet tale will move some readers to tears with its devastating beauty and loss.”— Seattle Post-Intelligencer As with A.J. Fikry, Zevin’s characters are believable and relatable, I wanted them to do well. I also loved the fact dogs played such a key role in this book. Not sure if the author is a dog-lover, but I’ll take a dog story any day, I just wish I could speak Canine. Even the most cynical fourteen year-olds should be captivated by Gabrielle Zevin’s witty dialogue and charming characters.”— Portland Tribune I wonder if there's a hat in here somewhere," says Liz. Even in a dream, Liz isn't sure she wants to be the freaky bald girl. She opens the closet and looks under the bed: both are as empty as the bureau. Okay, I have to share this... this is when the eyes started to tear and the lips started to tremble:

ELSEWHERE - Bloomsbury Praise for ELSEWHERE - Bloomsbury

People, you'll find, aren't usually all good or bad. Sometimes they're just a little bit good and a whole lot bad. And sometimes they're mostly good with a dash of bad. And most of us, well, we fall in the middle somewhere.” Liz is 15 and is a hit and run victim. She wakes up on the S.S. Nile (cute, huh?) and it takes her a bit but she finds out she's died and then ends up in Elsewhere. I think Elsewhere could be whatever your spiritual affiliation wants it to be. Limbo, Heaven, squatting at St. Pete's doorstep, a Quentin Tarantino filmfest....whatever... a b c d e f g Brown, Nell Porter (June 8, 2020). "The Arts as Essential Goods". Harvard Magazine . Retrieved November 16, 2022.Yes, the book has plenty of great ideas, but they are wrapped up in a very dull and childish plot with a lot of teenage whining. Even the "romance" rings false - you basically have a 35-year old man (in a body of a 17-old boy) fall in love with a 15-year old girl. There are talking dogs and mermaids, and Elsewhere itself is a rather boring utopia-like place. Ultimately the story is just extremely juvenile. I think if you take out references of sexuality from "Elsewhere" it will make a great read for 10-year olds (to spark that conversation about afterlife), but as a young adult novel it falls short. Zevin offers a dazzling, original novel about anger and forgiveness, about love and healing, about life and death and the meaning of everything.”— Buffalo News Liz (who is Elizabeth to her teachers; Lizzie at home, except when she's in trouble; and just plain Liz everywhere else in the world) sits up in bed, bumping her head on an unforeseen upper bunk. From above, a voice she does not recognize protests, "Aw hell!"

Elsewhere – Gabrielle Zevin

Funny and pensive, happy and heartbreaking. Readers from a broad range of beliefs will find this a quirky and touching exploration of the Great Beyond.”— The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Gabrielle Zevin has constructed a fascinating ‘what if?’ Great humor and speculation, on pets as well as people.”— Chicago Tribune The concept and the world which Gabrielle Zevin's created is pretty unique and somewhat beautiful; it's what I like the most. Needless to say, Elsewhere focus on life (after death) and grief. The living (her family and friends) grieve her death while Liz grieves the life that has been taken from her. She has to learn to leave again in this new place and to appreciate her new life. However, I’m not a fan of the romance or do I just say love interest. It doesn’t work with me … a 28-year-old man (if I remember it correctly) fall in love with a 15-year-old girl. How does the author use humor in the novel? What examples of wordplay are evident? For instance, Liz is aboard a ship called the Nile and Thandi tells her she is in denial (de-nile). Another example of this gentle humor is when Liz meets Sadie and informs the dog that she is drinking from a toilet. Locate other instances of humor and discuss how it is used in the novel. Is the humor intended to defuse the emotion of a serious situation or scene? Is it more of a way to show how Liz is becoming acclimated to life on Elsewhere?Intriguing. Surely guides readers through the bumpy landscape of strongly delineated characters dealing with the most difficult issue that faces all of us. Provides much to think about and discuss.”— School Library Journal, Starred Review Sylas K Barrett The Secret of the Sul’Dam: Subtle Changes to the Way the One Power Works in The Wheel of Time TV Series 3 hours ago There is a door at the end of a silent corridor. And it's haunting Harry Potter's dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night, screaming in terror?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment