276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Lies, Your Lies: The new most emotionally gripping novel of 2020 from the bestselling author

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The story is told primarily through Joely's eyes in the third person, as as occasionally Freda and Joely's mum, Marianne. Peppered throughout are the memoir entries written in the first person narrative, leaving the reader pondering who she may well be. The story is told over 2 timelines. In 1968 we meet a schoolgirl who falls for her music teacher, she persuades her mother to let her have piano lessons so that she can be alone with him. They begin a passionate affair that must be kept secret but has disastrous consequences when he tries to end things. As the story progresses, Joely discovers the subject is very close to home and there is a reason why she was chosen to write this. Nearly there and things have changed dramatically. I know a lot of people won’t like this but it appears that the love between David (Sir) and Marianne (Linda) was real. Even though she was only 15. I think maybe the fact that he was her teacher is what makes it indefensible. He had a duty to his pupils and he let his desire overcome that. However 10 years seems a long sentence ( from what I have read about sentencing Laws in the UK). The structure of the story was really good though as Joely's apprehension of trying to write for a famous novelist was well captured, just like the reader she's also desperate to know the outcome of the couple.

Joely could not foresee what was to come. The twist that came that threw her whole world into disarray, and left her questioning everything she had ever known? What did it all mean? And where did Freda, and Joely, fit into it all?

About this book

When Joely’s husband Callum leaves her for her best friend Martha, she is glad to be given a writing assignment in Devon, so she get away from London. She has been asked to be a ghost writer for established author F.M Donahue who wants to tell her story to Joely who can try and rewrite it in a style Mrs Donahue fans will be expecting.

The story begins with Joely, a former journalist who is dealing with the fact that her husband has moved in with her best friend, Martha the meat-eating man stealer. Reeling from her grief and her husband's betrayal, Joely accepts a job as ghostwriter to reclusive author, F.M. Donohoe, to undertake the task of ghostwriting a memoir. She travels from London to a remote area in North Devon to Dimmett House, riddled with secret rooms, towers and turrets and darkened halls. Freda is the reclusive writer and she is as eccentric as they come. Her manner is aloof and even arrogant. One minute she is full of memories she regales Joely with, the next she takes to her room and doesn't speak to her for a day. Joely doesn't know what to make of her or her behaviour, other than to undertake the task at hand.The challenging working relationship between Freda and Joely was tense and fascinating, as were the musical references and hints at long gone family relationships. This had me captivated from the beginning and kept me in its grasp long after finishing this amazing book. Even when I reluctantly put this down I was still thinking about the characters!! I would like to thank #SusanLewis, #NetGalley and #HarperCollinsUK for an ARC of #MyLiesYourLies in exchange for an honest review. As the story of Freda’s past unravels, it spins Joely into a dangerous world of secrets and lies she could never have imagined, causing her to question everything she thought she knew about her family. But one this is for sure...there are two sides to every story. Not just the one you think you know.

Upon arriving, Joely discovers that Freda has already begin the memoir, having written the first two chapters already, and it is her firm wish that Joely continue in the vein with which she began. Their conversations about the memoir lead Joely to pondering many things but none of them would prepare her for where it would lead. Freda had her own agenda with this memoir. She wanted to right the wrongs that had taken place previously as a result of the outcome to the story Joely now transcribes. As I'm writing this I'm still beyond stunned that this is a published novel that seems to have no self awareness of how utterly wrong and offensive it is. Can you imagine an abuse survivor stumbling upon this book and reading it only to discover the whole thing serves as a defense of paedophilia? Sorry *hebephilia* as Freda calls it, attraction to girls between 11 and 15, which we are supposed to surmise, I think, is not 'as bad' as 'actual' paedophilia. After all, that little slut 15yr old Marianne knew what she was doing *side eye*. I can't even. There are even love letters at the end of the book, from David in prison to Marianne like this is the loviest love affair of all time. VOMIT. The ending felt way to forced and implausible to justify the quite unpleasant and unnecessary 'relationship' from 1968. Most of her recollection focusses on a 15 year old school girl who is besotted by her music teacher. The descriptions of the house and local landscape were brilliant. Very evocative and they gave a real sense of remoteness so you just know something unexpected and untoward will happen.The story follows ghostwriter Joely who's been given the difficult task of telling famous author F.M Donahue memoir in the style that her fans will appreciate.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment