276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bright Side

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So, to say that there is some repetition in plot points from the first book would be a fair criticism. But it would also be fair to point out that you don’t really notice until the end of the book, and then you don’t really care. Reading this wonderful book made me laugh and cry at the same time, and strangely enough gave me somewhat more hope for the (near) future... After all, I'm not much younger than Hendrik. Hendrik is now 85 years old set in 2015 and it tells of the life in a Care home in Amsterdam, and as a founding member of the Old-but-Not-Dead-Club. It tells of the outings they go on and also the fine dining restaurants and the relationships he has with the other members of the club and the other people in the Care home. They still try and have fun and live life to the fullest the best way they can. But Hendrik finds out that his best mate Evert has Cancer, an another of the residents has dementia. Not only that, they think that home future is unstable and maybe one day close. Dit is een boek wat je in 1 zitting uit kan lezen, en in die zitting een hele mix van emoties kan beleven. The New Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 85 Years Old is his diary for 2015 detailing his life in a care home in Amsterdam. This book follows on from The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 ¼ Years Old, which was his 2013 diary. Hendrik did NOT publish a diary for 2014. This book can be read as a stand-alone and covers similar ground to the first book.

Bright Side by Kim Holden - Vilma Iris | Lifestyle Review: Bright Side by Kim Holden - Vilma Iris | Lifestyle

Trivia - "His (David Frost’s) unexpected call to John Cleese in New York asking him to be on The Frost Report secured John’s future in television, away from his mother’s ambitions to make him manager of a Weston-super-Mare Marks & Spencer. Grocery’s loss was comedy’s gain. Frostie gave all of us great jobs as writers on his new BBC TV show, for which we remained highly ungrateful.

Subscribe for Updates:

When I was given the opportunity to read this sequel to The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83¼ Years Old I hurried to read the first book before I embarked on the second. Wondering now whether the second would work as a stand-alone I am inclined to think it would but a great deal of the poignancy of Hendrik’s story would suffer. When On the Bright Side opens, one of his friends has died and one is suffering from dementia and has been moved to a different part of the home. His friendships with both continue to be very important to him and that doesn’t quite come across in the sequel. Nor do the experiences he has already shared with the other members of the Old But Not Dead club. Read the first one first is my advice. This is just what I needed after a year in a global pandemic and I’m sure many people have been feeling the same these past 12 months! From many weeks of isolation and stressors in the world it has been nice to escape reality to read about other people’s lives. However this is not a depressing read and Cathrin brings humour all the way. After reading this book I actually felt quite lifted and grateful for the life I live! It’s not very often I read a book and find myself laughing out load, but this certainly did it for me. Funny highlights for me were Cathrin’s two ageing parents in their 90’s and her description of the quirky electrics in her house. I think what makes it so great is that Cathrin’s writing is very believable. Best of all, as her book went to print, she added an epilogue- to update where everyone was from the point of her book - a charming inclusion. Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography

For those of you not familiar with Hendrik, he's now 85 years old and lives in a care home in Amsterdam, where he's one of the founding members of the Old But Not Dead Club! They're a determined bunch, arranging day trips and sampling fine dining at various themed restaurants, amongst other things. They also cause mayhem within their care home, resulting in some hilarious moments. Hendrik and his friend Evert are akin to a pair of naughty schoolboys - the proverbial pain in the posterior of the care home manager. Evert doesn't care what others think of him, and comes out with the most outrageous ( though amusing ) comments. Hendrik on the other hand has a more gentle, caring side, and displays a charm that's something of a rarity today. He's made a pledge to be more assertive but he remains a thoughtful, giving person and he and Evert complement each other perfectly. There are funny anecdotes galore; from pieces of fruit turning up in peculiar locations; a mysterious apple in the aquarium, a tangerine in the lift, a pineapple in the "gym", to Mrs Schansleh's creative proverbs. Although this is the second book in the series, I don't think it's imperative that you need to read the first book to read the second. Hendrik starts his diary with a catch up of the characters from the first book, which brings old readers up to date and brings new readers into the loop. The getting soaked while filming The Holy Grail, trying to sign coconuts & John Leaving to make ghastly TV series about boring Hotel manger which all thought sound ghastly.

On Instagram

The Old But Not Dead club is still going strong, even after the closing events of the first book. In fact, a new member Leonie, fits right in. She even makes Evert blush. The residents of the home are still a bit of odd bunch. There is still also a slightly merry war between the director of the home and certain residents. There is also a performance artist who moves into the home. The home itself might be facing some type of restructuring. And like the first book, there is the potential of a death in Groen’s ad hoc family. Most of the people mentioned were treated to generous descriptions. Given the collective talent among the names I listed, why wouldn’t they be? There were a few cases where some agent or promoter tried to bilk him and deserved to be chastised, but those instances didn’t dominate. He also had a few choice words about the sitting US president. Even Brits are entitled to their opinions about our political landscape (as long as they’re the right ones). ;-) Der rüstige Rentner Hendrik Groen erzählte in seinem ersten Tagebuch „Eierlikörtage“ von seinem Dasein als Rentner in einem Amsterdamer Altersheim, seinen Freunden, und wie er gemeinsam mit ihnen den Alt-aber-nicht-tot-Club (Alanito) gründete. Hendrik und Co. sind nun etwas älter geworden, strahlen aber noch immer jede Menge Lebensfreude aus und so schildert Hendrik in „Tanztee“ die neusten Ereignisse und Veränderungen aus seinem Rentneralltag, erzählt von den Unternehmungen des Alanito Clubs und lässt ganz nebenbei seine Sicht auf die Welt einfließen.

Bright Side: Twelve Months, Three Heartbreaks, and The Bright Side: Twelve Months, Three Heartbreaks, and

This is the sequel to Hendrik Groen 83 and a quarter years old. Hendrik keeps a diary. He is determined to grow old with dignity and to rise up against the care homes director. He dreams of escaping the confines of his care home. Cathrin Bradbury's life imploded in the space of a few months. Her beloved parents died, her marriage limped to an end after twenty-five years, her heavily mortgaged house turned against her, and a promising new romance ended in crushing disappointment. Hendrik Groen, pseudonym of Peter de Smet, is a Dutch writer. He is the author of the book Pogingen iets van het leven te maken: Het geheime dagboek van Hendrik Groen, 83¼ jaar ( The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83¼ Years Old) published in 2014. That book was awarded in 2016 with the Audience Award for the Dutch Book. The sequel Zolang er leven is: het tweede geheime dagboek van Hendrik Groen, 85 jaar ( On the Bright Side: The New Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen) appeared in 2016. Eric’s kind heart is obvious, as shown through his endearing friendships with George Harrison and Robin Williams, not to mention all the Pythons. He’s had a rich life full of love and good friends. Laughter really does bring people together. I’d love to hang out with him sometime. I’ll even supply the booze.A narrative revealing how brokenness can bring wholeness and healing…if we wade in and allow it to show its bright side.

CHASING THE BRIGHT SIDE - Jess Ekstrom CHASING THE BRIGHT SIDE - Jess Ekstrom

Bradbury had an exceptional working life, as an editor of major news publications - but her personal life was more fractious, and in 2015 it imploded. This memoir recounts this period, her thoughtful connections to the past, her family and friends and the effort to find a way into a different future. Attempts to make something of life in 2016 won the Audience Award for the Dutch Book. This prize was not personally collected by the author. Hendrik is such a warm and genuine character - you do really feel for him. I can only hope there is a third diary; you do begin to care for Hendrik and hope he has many more tales to tell and adventures to go on. This goes from public schools to His mad days with David Jason, Peter Cooke his life long friendship with David Bowie & Robin Williams to ending up like his Grandfather in A circus to how Look on the bright side is played at funerals On the Brightside is the 2nd book in the Hendrik Groen Series. I have read the first one and I enjoyed it immensely, so I was looking forward to reading this one.The book is also a little more nuanced in character than the first one. More is hinted at about the director, so she becomes something more than just a “no” party pooper. Hendrik himself finds a new friend that reveals new facets about his person as he shows the reader that it is possible to never stop growing as a person.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment