276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Atlas Six

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At the heart of it, this is a character-driven novel exploring academia and magic. Our six main characters are highly skilled in their individual fields, but even they haven’t heard of this mysterious society they’ve been invited to that offers access to research you wouldn’t find anywhere else. It’s enticing both to the characters and myself – I want to find out more about this literature not available to everyone, and what secrets this society might hold. Enter the latest round of six: Libby Rhodes and Nico de Varona, unwilling halves of an unfathomable whole, who exert uncanny control over every element of physicality. Reina Mori, a naturalist, who can intuit the language of life itself. Parisa Kamali, a telepath who can traverse the depths of the subconscious, navigating worlds inside the human mind. Callum Nova, an empath easily mistaken for a manipulative illusionist, who can influence the intimate workings of a person’s inner self. Finally, there is Tristan Caine, who can see through illusions to a new structure of reality—an ability so rare that neither he nor his peers can fully grasp its implications. Of course. Have to, seeing as I’ll be working on it next year, won’t I?” he mused. “Pity you didn’t get that fellowship, by the way.”

Review: The Atlas Six – stories with saima Review: The Atlas Six – stories with saima

He also had a monstrous capacity to fool people into thinking he knew what he was talking about, which he resolutely did not. Sometimes, maybe. But certainly not always. A revised and edited edition of The Atlas Six with brand new illustrations hit shelves this week ahead of the release of the sequel The Atlas Paradox this Fall and let’s put it this way: The time to get on this fantasy hype train is right now.

This is a very dark story with some scenes of a sexual nature that make it unsuitable for a younger audience, but adults who like fantasy will find it very intriguing with a fascinating conclusion that leaves an opening for a sequel. From the moment you open Blake’s novel, you cannot ignore her imaginative approach to magic. Early in the novel, we are introduced to a character named Tristan, who is technically an Illusionist, but his real power is that he can see through illusions. He can see the things that no one wants you to see, from your magically-enhanced breasts, to fake walls or false animated corpses, Tristan knows your secrets, and he can see through it all. Possibly the most interesting, and certainly my favourite, power of the book belongs to Reina. She possesses power of the highest medeian calibre, which the doctors noticed when she was born. As a baby in the hospital; As a writer, Blake is wonderfully stingy with her exposition, allowing us to get to know both the personalities and the histories of these characters through their actions in each individual POV chapter. Her characterizations are rich and thorough—none of the six are especially good people or even likable most of the time. (In fact, several of them are kind of huge jerks!) They all make selfish choices and often downright dumb decisions. But, the emotional underpinnings of their various behaviors have been so carefully laid out throughout the story that it makes their mistakes, if not wise, at least understandable. Libby Rhodes and Nicolás Ferrer de Varona: inseparable enemies, cosmologists who can control matter with their minds. Olivie has penned several indie SFF projects, including the webtoon Clara and the Devil with illustrator Little Chmura and the viral Atlas series. As Follmuth, her young adult rom-com My Mechanical Romance releases May 2022.

The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake (Book Review) – Life and Other The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake (Book Review) – Life and Other

The characters themselves are incredibly morally-grey, which I really enjoyed. Usually, unlikeable characters put me off a story, but the concept was so interesting that I wanted to learn more, and as I did so the characters became more and more complex — and more difficult to label in terms of “good” or “bad”. Much like real life. In many ways Blake’s novel is a fantastic study of the human mind.It’s not my fault the subject of Fowler’s inadequacy is evergreen,” Nico replied, and were it not for the fact that they were directly in front of all of their classmates and a great number of their faculty and staff as well, Libby would not have paused for an additional centering breath and instead entertained whatever her abilities compelled her to do.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment