276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Zachary Ying and the Dragon Emperor

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Maybe I’m one of the few people left who has not yet read Zhao’s Iron Widow. After reading Zachary Ying, I am extra excited to read everything Zhao has to offer. Situational Sword: Due to the legend of Jing Ke's assassination attempt on Qin Shi Huang, his sword can only be drawn if others are shouting "Bear your sword, my King!" at him. Most of the time, I dislike chapter titles. I know, I know. When chapter titles are done badly, they reveal too much of or add nothing to the story. But Zhao nailed all the chapter titles! They are all so incredibly funny, accurate, and not too spoilery either. Some examples of this would be “How to Get Rich and Famous by Renting Your Body to a Dead Emperor” and “How to Scam the Ancient Chinese Justice League.”

Xiran Jay Zhao – Sci-Fi / Fantasy Author

To be honest, I’m just glad I’ve watched some cdramas, brushed up on a bit of Chinese history and watched all of Xiran’s videos diligently in the past year or so, because otherwise the experience of reading this book wouldn’t be the same. I’m not saying that you won’t enjoy the book if you don’t know the history - you still will because the story is written in such a way that everything that needs to be learnt is told in an organic way and you learn it along with the main character. But if you do know some little history and pop culture tidbits, it just makes you feel more excited and in the know. The magic system is also very interesting because it’s based on myths and legends and how much people believe in them. The writing is fun and quirky and full of banter, and the action starts right from chapter one, so there’s not much here to get bored. We are always on the move with the characters, going on heists and summoning legendary historical or mythical figures and just overall having fun all throughout.Cast from Hit Points: Tang Taizong’s spirit bow harms its user with every shot, as a reference to how he used it to kill his own brothers. Edutainment: Clearly inspired by the genre, as it's a story where a boy has to learn Chinese history and culture to increase his own magical power. I just absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this book. I am admittedly extremely partial to Xiran's work, which is so inspired by their experiences as Chinese diaspora and the struggles in reclaiming that part of our identities, all things that resonate with me too well.

Wikipedia Xiran Jay Zhao - Wikipedia

Jing Ke and Gao Jingli are trying to assassinate Qin Shi Huang for his tyranny. Wu Zetian even (derisively) calls them heroes while talking about how predictably honorable they are, which makes Zachary very uncomfortable.immersive, fast-paced, and wholly engrossing, zachary ying and the dragon emperor had me spellbound from the get-go; i devoured the book in one escapism-fuelled sitting. this was my first book by xiran jay zhao, and with a sample size of n = 1 (one) book they are already entering the top tier of authors i love, enjoy, and wish to support.

Zachary Ying And The Dragon Emperor (Literature) - TV Tropes Zachary Ying And The Dragon Emperor (Literature) - TV Tropes

Never My Fault: Qin Shi Huang blames Zachary for accidentally exorcising him, even though he was trying to kill a kid at the time. a b Brooke, David (7 April 2022). "2022 Hugo Awards finalists, including in comics, announced". AIPT . Retrieved 12 May 2022. I received an advanced digital copy from Margaret K. McElderry Books via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review. a b Armstrong, Vanessa (11 May 2022). "Here Are the Finalists for the 2022 Locus Awards". Tor.com . Retrieved 12 May 2022.Zhao, Xiran Jay (10 May 2022). Zachary Ying and the Dragon Emperor. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9781665900706 . Retrieved 24 October 2021. Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for an advanced copy of this to review! Ever since reading Iron Widow last year, Xiran Jay Zhao has been on my radar. I’m so happy that this lived up to their debut! This book is so much fun, and middle grade readers are going to love it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment