276°
Posted 20 hours ago

James Bond I've Been Expecting You Doormat, Coir, Multi-Colour, 40 x 60 cm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We simply didn't know when to expect you. First it was teatime yesterday, and then dinner, and it was only half an hour ago that we really knew you were on your way." And he definitely dies. They’re not playing with the idea, like at the start of You Only Live Twice. You don’t actually see his corpse, but there’s no twinkly possibility left open that he escaped. What happens in the story – the canonical story made by Eon Productions and endorsed by Ian Fleming’s estate – is that James Bond, agent 007, is killed. At the end of the credits it still says “James Bond will return” but I’m assuming it will be a prequel, a telling of another part of his life. The death of James Bond at the end of No Time to Die is, and will remain, the character’s fate.

i>The Spy Who Loved Me - Carl Stronberg over the loudspeaker to Bond at Atlantis says "Good evening Mr Bond, I've been expecting you. Stay where you are! I've sent the elavator down for you". The Dead Zone: Johnny plays this trope very well by sometimes exploiting his Spider-Sense and sometimes just being really intuitive.

International delivery

One episode of Babylon 5 had Delenn being questioned by an inquisitor to determine her worthiness using harsh methods. When he hears the door open he says, without looking, "And the third player in our little drama arrives at last," implying he knew it was Sheridan and that he'd been expecting him to show up eventually. The problem with it is that, at the end, James Bond dies. I really hope that everyone still reading either already knew that or doesn’t give a shit about James Bond, though I warn the latter group: I’m not going to get on to anything important like economics or gardening. This whole Bond death thing is buzzing around my head like a miniaturised Sean Connery on Little Nellie. The Anticipator is a character who (whether villain or hero) can somehow sense the presence, or, without fail, await the supposed-to-be-a-secret arrival of another character. i>Dr. No - Bond and his friends are told by the boat henchman, "Megaphone Man", "We know you're there. We've been expecting you".

James Bond is famous for the "I've been expecting you" lines in many of the movies. As stated in multiple real-life interviews, this one-liner has become one of the main reasons that the real life MI6 would consider James Bond to be a terrible spy, because "no matter where he goes, he's expected". In The Spy Who Loved Me, Bond goes to Atlantis to rescue Anya Amasova before Atlantis is blown up. Again, Bond's entrance is noticed by Stromberg, who says, "Good evening, Mr Bond. I've been expecting you." He thoughtfully sends his private elevator to bring Bond to him—as the audience already knows, the elevator floor is a Trap Door to the Shark Pool. In Diamonds Are Forever, Bond drops into Willard Whyte's penthouse suite and, having been observed by Blofeld, is greeted by Willard Whyte (actually Blofeld with a disguised voice) with the words, 'Howdy. Welcome, son. We've been expecting you'. Live And Let Die - "Good evening. The name's Bond. I have a reservation.""Mr Bond. Of course. Mrs Bond's been expecting you."In Man of Steel, while standing at Jonathan's grave, Lois tells Clark she knew he'd show up if she just kept digging. Naturally, he's right behind her.

This is a Super-Trope of the following tropes. Only add examples here that don't fit in one of these categories: Rumpelstiltskin does this in the Pilot of Once Upon a Time: When Prince Charming and Snow White go to consult him, they are warned to do three things: 1) Stay out of the light, 2) keep their faces hidden, and 3) not mention their names. All three turn out to be useless, as Rumpelstiltskin not only knows who they are, but has been waiting for them to show up. Justified because he A) can see the future and B) has been planning for this moment for years. i>Octopussy - The hotel receptionist, when Bond arrives in Delhi welcomes him by saying "We've been expecting you". John Rain: In The Killer Ascendant, Professional Killer Rain is hunting rogue CIA agent Jim Hilger. Knowing that Hilger is planning to murder a Dutch official when they return home after work, Rain decides Hilger will be staking out his victim from a park across the road. Then Rain wonders if Hilger has anticipated his arrival, and is actually waiting in ambush for Rain. So he enters the park from a different direction, and sure enough sees a man with a gun lying in wait. It's then that Hilger springs his trap — the man lying on the ground is an innocent bystander that Hilger murdered and left there as a Sleeping Dummy, so he can ambush Rain in turn.

Examples

Sometimes, in a tragic-dramatic twist of fate, the Anticipator will be waiting for their opponent calmly and patiently after uttering one of the above phrases, because there's Nothing Left to Do but Die. If they are tired of fighting, then they may enjoy One Last Smoke before the big showdown. I don't think it has though I haven't seen the Bond films in a few years so I honestly can't remember, which is why I'm asking.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment