276°
Posted 20 hours ago

This Lie Will Kill You

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The characters Niamh interacts with, all have warmth and by the end of the book, personally felt like they were my friends. I trusted them, I loved them, I adored them, but should I have trusted all of them? This was good. This is the kind of book I would love to see Netflix adapt into a series. It's enigmatic, thrilling, enjoyable and detailed. I don’t watch either of the shows that it has been likened to, so I don’t have a comparison, but it definitely has elements of Kara Thomas’ The Cheerleaders, Karen M. McManus’ One of Us is Lying and a dash of Gossip (the movie).

Last One to Die by Cynthia Murphy is the first book I read this year, and my first 5 star as well. I am now confident that 2021 won’t be that bad. I knew I was going to enjoy it, I just didn’t expect to enjoy it this much. Huge thank you yo Kaleidoscope Tours and Scholastic Press, for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for my review. Are you going to tell him you’re passing up fifty thousand dollars?” Her mother fixed her with a stare. “After everything he’s been through?” I have to say that this book was able to set the mood and ambiance of a mystery that will hook you, but unfortunately, it was unable to deliver it's promise. I have to say that there were parts of this that I liked, but the cliche, cheesy, and unconnected parts outnumbered the things that I enjoyed. Sometimes teachers submit you. Guidance counselors. You’re such a good student, and you were going to be valedictorian.” The story did start good—with a death and a promise of revenge followed with five teenagers entering a house to solve a murder mystery game for a scholarship. It reminded me so much of hidden object games (which I like) and adding the mystery someone that orchestrated all of that gave me strong Pretty Little Liars vibes (also liked that), taking that in account this should’ve been a great read for me…however I’m semi disappointed with it. If/when the author publishes something new I would give it a look.Mom, it’s a scam. Real scholarship offers don’t sound like this.” She’d never even heard of the Burning Embers Scholarship. She’d never heard of it, and she didn’t like the sound of it. Juniper blinked. She could see her mother staring at her, could see her baby sister bouncing in the periphery, but she felt completely displaced. Like she was floating outside of space and time. Juniper started to laugh. It was the cold, brittle kind of laughter, like twigs snapping underfoot. Of course Ruby hadn’t submitted her for the scholarship. Of course Ruby wasn’t looking out for her from behind the scenes. Their friendship was over. It had been over for a long time.

There were a few twists in the book, some of them I saw coming and others I didn’t. It was a good mix and I found myself on the edge of my seat, excited to take in the next part of the story.Anyway, I have digressed a little. One of the other features of this book that is very typical of the genre is its narrative structure: the perspective changed in each chapter, alternating between the five protagonists. This technique can be very effective when the plot involves lots of lying and betrayal, which this one did - the same situation can be told from different characters' points of view, and it makes for a good way of exposing the truth bit by bit. However, it wasn't particularly well executed. The chapters were not labelled according to which character was telling them, and since all five characters were in one place all together for the majority of the book, it was not always clear which of the five was narrating. One year ago, there was a party. At the party, someone died. Five teens each played a part and up until now, no one has told the truth. I received this eProof for free from Simon & Schuster Children's Books via NetGalley for the puposes of providing an honest review. The writing was very bad. But just the second half, because it was filled with the ugliest, most absurd and incomprehensible metaphors, which I swear made me want to carve my eyes out and smash my Kindle.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment