276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Dark

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On a positive note, the characters were interesting and likeable. The dynamics between them were also cleverly developed throughout. Sadly, though, I just did not enjoy the chapters which pulled the reader away from the main protagonists and into the perspectives of some random people who I didn't care for. Unfortunately, this became a major part of the novel towards the end. Likewise, I did not care for the ending - admittedly, I haven't fully wrapped my head around what occurred at the end but I do not have the motivation to do so. Having said that, I do admire the way in which Herbert melded the elements of the paranormal and science together at the end. The opening chapters to Moon are fairly slowly paced, it takes its time and has no problem keeping the mystery and main themes of the book hidden for a while. Once things get going and the cards slowly began to reveal themselves I was hooked, The main idea here being a logical man finding himself to possess a power that links his mind to that of a murderer is cool and had me set for cat and mouse thriller, sadly it doesn't pan out that way. James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction. Herbert's seventh book, The Dark is one which explores religious and supernatural themes, part of a trend that began with the author's third novel, The Survivor. His first two books, The Rats and The Fog, fit more into the science fiction horror genre. One thing which connects The Dark with both Herbert's early and later supernatural work is the use of graphic violence and large-scale set pieces, such as, in The Dark, a football stadium ripped apart by insane fans. Could I wish for a bit more detailed explanation of the theory behind this take, yes! But I guess it's rather hard to give an completely satisfying explanation of something there's no (yet) any explanation of. So with that in mind, yes I think it was a great story. We got a couple of the usual mortifying toe-cringing detailed sexscene of the parts of the sex lives of humans which often aren't very sexy in all honesty (love it!), we got some plumb women here and there, to

James - James Herbert About James - James Herbert

It's set on the island of Guernsey, which is why I read it, and that aspect was the only plus for me.man with his full cooperation. Herbert has granted the author a number of rare interviews, such that the result is a frank and revealing portrait of one of the giants of contemporary popular fiction. In addition The Dark is the 7th James Herbert novel first released in 1980. For those used to his writing style this will feel like putting on a comfortable pair of old slippers. You know you need to replace them but they’ve still got a certain appeal that just relaxes you. Jonathon Childes a pyschic is the main character and very believable. He sees the crimes being committed through the eyes of the person committing the murder and he is aware that this is two way thing putting people he loves in danger. Bishop is a psychic investigator tasked with investigating a seemingly nondescript house where he uncovers a scene of brutal mass suicide. It turns out the events that took place inside was some form of ritual that saw the leader imbued with powers that can control the dark. Far too much of this story is just the main characters spouting exposition or losing hope in the face of an evil they seem to have no hope overcoming. That question remains for the majority of the story & it does a good job of making it seem hopeless however the eventual resolution is massively disappointing.

The Dark - James Herbert - Google Books

Elements of that are present in this book but I found the story very problematic in terms of believe-ability and delivery. but how do you fight the dark? Bishop, because of his findings is dragged into the middle of everything desperate to stop the chaos but hiding his own dark past. Jon Childes has found a peaceful life. He lives on one of the Channel Islands, working at three different schools teaching computer science. His ex-wife and daughter live in England, but he’s found a new relationship with a fellow teacher, Amy Sebire. He hopes the horror from his past is gone forever.There isn’t a memorable character in this book, the only highlights being the more chaotic moments. These small snippets that show off the damage the dark does are fun to read but hardly scary. They bear much similarity to The Fog (an earlier Herbert book) but with less imagination. Lo que nos cuenta. El libro Luna (publicación original: Moon, 1985) nos presenta a Jon Childes, ingeniero y profesor de informática en una pequeña escuela de una isla del Canal de la Mancha. Jon está divorciado, tiene una hija que vive con su exesposa y desde joven tuvo visiones sobre su madre muerta, pero terminaron por desaparecer. Ya casado, tuvo visiones sobre crímenes y terminó ayudando a la policía, lo que le costó el matrimonio por cómo se vio afectado, aunque fueron incapaces de capturar al asesino con vida. Tres años después, Jon empieza a tener nuevas visiones sobre crímenes. So what of this book - it is from the phase where horror was full on almost tangible - yes Herbert can be visceral and graphic but also subtle and menacing and this book to me captures both aspects of his writing.

The best of James Herbert (27 books) - Goodreads The best of James Herbert (27 books) - Goodreads

He fled from the terrors of his past. Finding refuge in the quietness of the island. And for a time he lived in peace. Until the 'sightings' began. Visions of horror seeping into his mind like poisonous tendrils. Violent acts that were hideously macabre, the thoughts became intense. It wouldn’t be a James Herbert story without a woman who is hard on the outside but vulnerable on the inside. His lead female characters always seem to just be waiting for the hero to come along & ‘fix’ them, it’s cringe-worthy.From the title and the cover art I had assumed that it was going to be a werewolf tale. But, I was wrong. There are no werewolves in the novel whatsoever. There is a mysterious killer however. Anyway, I am not going to delve in the story in detail. In brief the major events of the novel take place in the island of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel near the French coast. The island really exists. A pesar de no contar con los mismos recursos que el cine para producir terror (imágenes truculentas, juegos de luz y oscuridad, música aterradora...) sigo pensando que es posible lograr lo mismo a través de un libro.

Horror Book Review: The Dark (James Herbert) - GAMES Horror Book Review: The Dark (James Herbert) - GAMES

It's not as bad as I'm writing it to be, as I said. It's okay... Well, kinda. I'd be lying if I said that the ending isnt a mess. In fact the entire final third of this book just really lost me. I don't know if the publisher had a word count in mind or not but the ending chapters feel like an eternity. The pacing entirely goes off a cliff. For those who have read the book, I'm mainly talking about "The Fire". From "The Fire" until the end felt incredibly dull and drawn out. I just wanted it to end. Sadly, it did then end and I was left relieved that I could put the book down but also pretty disappointed at how the ideas here were left squandered.I'm disappointed as I originally had this as a 4 star book (first read about 20 years ago) but I didn't enjoy it much this time around :( He released his final book ‘ Ash‘ in 2012 which is a sequel of ‘Haunted’ and ‘the Ghosts of Sleath’. It seems he took quite a lot of time over this book as it is decidedly more indepth than any other book he has written. He also is in a relationship with another younger teacher called Amy. Herbert writes some truly awful sex scenes that are cringeworthy. However James Herbert offered something different, yes there were so truly graphic scenes but there was as story there, characters you could invest in and events you just had to read to the end of to see what happened.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment