276°
Posted 20 hours ago

They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Didn't you once tell me Hemingway said the only thing a writer needs is an unhappy childhood? "My early life gave me a great deal to draw on. But would I have swapped a happy childhood for the writing? Yes." The centrepiece of Robinson's case is a stunning analysis of letters. My faith in him returned after all the chuntering about Masonic iconography; In all the interviews and books I've read and films I'd watched, don't think I'd found him intellectually formidable before, aside from humour, but here… As someone who has different handwritings for various levels of required legibility or contexts, and who also notices their writing change with mood and energy level, I don't need persuading that one person can write differently, whilst small similarities in letter shapes may show up. (I think pressure may be significant but a) you can't see it on photos, and b) little idea how that worked pre-biros. I wondered if there were different 'families' of writing among the letters. He didn't even mention the possible influence of habitually writing musical notation on the little wings on some letters, which would have added to his case.)

Factor in the decades long fight for justice by the bereaved families of the victims of the Hillsborough tragedy, and numerous other cover ups we can all recall, and we could all be forgiven for thinking this is just business as usual. There are 115 days unaccounted for, during which he could have been there to mail the 'Dutch' letter. He would have travelled incognito - he said in a newspaper interview that he always did - but I am totally convinced the f***er was there. I think somebody pieced all of this together. They told him to marry this ugly bitch who was his housekeeper and get the hell out."I don't think it's too much to ask of an author to write books in a civilized manner using good English instead of relying on cursing to make his point.

He became chairman of the Isle of Wight Hospital, was a magistrate and was five times mayor of Ryde. He was also a Freemason. [3] He had been at Buxton for three weeks being treated for periodic gout when he died in his sleep of heart failure on 26 August 1913. [4] He was buried four days later at Ryde. taken off them and placed nearby. The whole affair is glaringly Masonic. That much I realised within a week." A couple of the letters feel unconvincingly overinterpreted; for instance the commentary on the one signed 'Andy Handy', when compared with the text, sounds like too much has been read into it. For the basic premise is that the killings were perpetrated by a rogue freemason. The incompetence of the police and other authorities - dominated by freemasonry - was breathtaking, but is explained by the fact that the killings were so obviously masonic in their execution that a cover-up was instigated. Robinson makes this case very persuasively and - bearing the above caveat in mind - I am convinced by his argument. Juwes' had to have been written by a Mason. Warren got his stupid arse out of bed that night to fulfil the spirit of the oath sworn by a senior Freemason, ie, 'I will protect any other Mason [from the consequences of their actions], murder and treason not excluded.'"As others have mentioned the language can be vulgar, but in most cases Robinson is using JTR's own words. His disdain for the ruling class and their lies and cover-ups is sometimes expressed in the form of sarcasm, and I enjoyed that. The author is passionate.. His dismissiveness of some of the more prominent "Ripperologists" is comical and also well-placed; for one thing, Robinson proves that some of the letters dismissed as hoaxes were in fact written by the killer. I hope that someone takes up the challenge, uses the author's research and theories, and writes a better book. Pro: I accept Robinson's nominee as the actual JTR. It all makes so much more sense from this perspective. I* - a film occasionally described as a "cult" classic (has an adjective ever been more patronising or redundant?) - and his 2011 collaboration with Depp, The Rum Diary, based on the Hunter S Thompson novel. This last was an ambitious project that, as Robinson candidly puts it, "bombed". His greatest work of prose is the 1998 novella The Peculiar Memories Of Thomas Penman, which draws on his traumatic upbringing in Broadstairs, Kent.

Best of all is the relation of content in various letters to one another, and playing with words and phrases and oblique allusions. The textual analysis and psychology is rather awesome. Although I think we could have done with systematic mentions of which bits riffed on letters that had been published in newspapers. Drawings in two different letters are quite obviously by the same hand. Some authors are drawn to sexual crime out of a kind of voyeuristic fascination. Robinson is not among them. The dominant themes in his work, from The Killing Fields onwards, have been fury at injustice and a passionate empathy with the underdog. When conversation turns to his own childhood, it's not hard to understand why. Robinson, once tirelessly sociable at any hour of the night or day, has moderated his consumption of red wine but remains a tremendous host who - unlike most interviewees - actively enjoys having journalists stay the night. A note on the bathroom mirror reads, "Writing is horrible." The judicial malpractice Robinson reveals is staggering even by the standards of the Ripper trials that preceded it. In 2016 I also read ' In Plain Sight: The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile'. A book that reveals how Savile's relationships with members of the Royal family, and then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, helped him to get away with abuse on a horrendous scale.This book is a hot mess in a million ways, it hardly sets off down one gaslit Victorian alleyway before it charges off down another to chase something else entirely and I have to admit, there were more than a few moments when I wasn’t entirely sure what we were talking about. But I was willing to follow Bruce Robinson (arguably the hottest one from the ‘60s Romeo and Juliet movie) on his big crazy journey and I’m glad I did. I kind of couldn’t tear myself away from this even in its most wtf moments. Robinson becomes quite upset at times as he reveals the wretched lives of the poor Whitechapel victims - angry that more wasn't done to relieve the sufferings of the poor of that era. I completely understand his feelings but that is no reason to use the F word 500 times in anger. In fact, Robinson has quite a vulgar mouth which I found hard to believe since he looked so angelic as a youth.

The pungency of the language feels necessary as a way of standing up to horror; the possibility of swearing as armour, as defence, is one of those things some us who swear quite a lot would perhaps rather others didn't realise, the "muscularity" of the language overlaying soft vulnerability somewhere inside. The choice of words to reflect how Victorian society regarded prostitutes, in the manner of free indirect style, seems to have offended a few readers unfamiliar with the narrative form, but from time to time raw compassion appears, all the more emotive for the shift in tone: We can look at the photograph below as if it’s a monstrosity from some long-forgotten sideshow, a waxwork or a work of fantasy. But it isn’t, and it’s horrifying. This was a young woman, poor as dirt, but she had a life, it belonged to her, and the infinite sadism of this most horrendous of murderers has left her like this forever. I still expected some commentary on the attractions of Ripper research, especially, because, including Smoking in Bed, Robinson is conscious of a need to prove himself against impossible standards, from childhood on. Here he is working for 15 years on the most notorious unsolved mystery in British history. He also has form for lengthy investigation of conspiracies, e.g. in the research for his film script about Robert Oppenheimer, Fat Man and Little Boy, aka Shadowmakers. And years earlier, he seemingly sent himself up, playing on the way researching Victorian serial killers preyed on an anxiety-prone mind, in short story Paranoia In The Launderette, later adapted without official credits as part of the film A Fantastic Fear of Everything. So I assumed similar self-deprecation would be present here: a ruthless questioning of one's own methods and the tendency to apophenia, rather than giving in to it without meticulous examination. But I'm not sure he likes writing narrative about himself directly: he talks to interviewers, he writes scripts, he used third person to write unflattering dark comedy characters based on himself, in Laundrette and The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman. Maybe memoir just isn't his thing. A book like no other – the tale of a gripping quest to discover the identity of history’s most notorious murderer and a literary high-wire act from the legendary writer and director of Withnail and I. Ripperology has long been a notorious crank subculture, and the online forums were fascinating to read, for a few hours, at least. By no means does everyone sound like a crank, rooting for their favourite suspect whilst ignoring holes and uncertainties in the case. Some do think the case will never be solved; some bring what looks like professional-style rigour to a micro-study (such as a recent book by a descendent of the suspect Chapman).That's a project, Robinson says, he urgently hopes to proceed with. There's also talk of a stage version of *Withnail & Interviews give the impression that Robinson doesn't use the internet: it's obvious why someone who likes a quiet life, and who wants to control their own tendency to get caught up in obsessive research, might avoid it; nevertheless this is a pretty significant obstacle to examining and connecting with 21st century ripperology. (He mentions using a typewriter, and there was only one vague hint in the book towards anything online: the entirely sensible estimate that even these days – let alone 120 years ago – most people wouldn't be familiar with the name of a small foreign magazine.) I*. In the meantime he is braced for the recoil from Ripperologists, tetchy historians and Freemasons. The last group's contemporary members are not criticised in the book. "That," says Robinson, "would be like blaming the modern army for General Haig's blunders in the First World War." But it's an unavoidable truth that, historically, English Freemasonry has not always responded kindly to criticism. It will, Robinson hopes, not be too interesting an autumn. There's a lot of anger, I say, in this book. "If there was one thing that kept me going as I immersed myself in the filthy f***ing miasma that was British politics in the Victorian era, it was rage. I was inflamed by what they did with that little boy."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment