276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Breakdown

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cass had promised her husband, she would avoid taking the shortcut that night, but changed her mind. Knowing he would be furious with her for taking such a risk, and feeling like a horrible human being for ignoring the driver, she never tells anyone what she witnessed. It was one of those situations where I thought I knew what was going on, but I kept pushing through the tedious chapters and hoping I was wrong and that the ending would surprise me. It didn't. It's way too easy to work out. You might even be starting to suspect the answers before beginning if you read the author's previous book.

I stand at the very edge of the cliff face, looking at the roaring ocean below my feet. I’m in no danger, in fact my husband and his sister talk just feet away from me, watching my every move. Cass is stressed, she is worried she is losing her memory, and when she takes a shortcut one night during an awful storm her life changes forever. She passes another woman who appears to have broken down in her car, rather than stop to help Cass drives on. The next day it is discovered that the woman was murdered. This book did not grab me. Also let's talk about the character development, there was not one character that I liked, they were all dislikeable characters to me.And when were all the new appliances delivered? How could hubby coordinate their delivery to happen when Cass wasn’t home, when she seldom went out anyway?

THE BREAKDOWN epitomizes “summer reading.” This psychological thriller begs to be read by the pool on summer vacation. There’s just something about B.A. Paris’ writing that is fun—it’s not too serious, not too stuffy, and boy, does it move. I read this book in two sittings, I just couldn’t put it down. B.A. Paris has crafted a wholly entertaining story that hinges on the main characters’ deteriorating memory: I was totally absorbed as I watched Cass’ mental state fall apart. Paris ratchets up the tension bit by bit, bringing readers along as Cass goes from confused to alarmed to downright hysterical—a structure that kept me itching to see what she would do - and what would happen to her -next.Another bolt of lightning shoots through the sky and disappears into the woods. The wind whips up and branches scrabble at the passenger window, like someone trying to get in. A shiver runs down my spine. I feel so vulnerable that I release the handbrake and move the car forward a little to make it look as if I’m going to drive off, hoping it will provoke the woman into doing something—anything—to tell me that she doesn’t want me to leave. But still there is nothing. Reluctantly, I pull to a stop again, because it doesn’t seem right to drive off and leave her. But neither do I want to put myself at risk. When I think about it, she hadn’t seemed distressed when I’d driven past, she hadn’t waved frantically or given any indication that she needed help, so maybe somebody—her husband or one of the breakdown services—is already on their way. If I broke down, Matthew would be my first port of call, not a stranger in a car.

To say I was excited for this novel is an understatement. I loved Behind Closed Doors so I couldn't wait to see what B.A Paris had in store for me this time. Nothing is what it appears and EVERYONE is a suspect. EVERYONE has dark secrets and EVERYONE is a liar! Cass’s continual highs and lows will cause you whiplash, and you will FEEL her frustration as she grasps at straws (tongs, and cans of hairspray) to keep her crumbling life together!A story with a ratcheting sense of unease — a tale of friendship and love, sanity and the terrible unravelling of it.”— USA Today This was my first book by Arianne Richmonde and I look forward to reading more of her work in the future. This book grabs you at the start. Is there anyone who hasn't been deathly afraid driving through a pounding rainstorm, hands gripping the wheel? And it's totally understandable that Cass doesn't stop when she comes across a car stopped along the side of the road, given the location, worries that it could be trap and the miserable weather. But the guilt compounds the next morning when she learns the woman in the car was later murdered. She keeps quiet, not telling either her husband or friends about what she did (or rather didn't do) for various reasons. And on top of the guilt is the worry about her faltering memory. Her mom died of early onset Alzheimer's at an age just 10 years above Cass’s own.

The following day, news comes in that the same woman was brutally murdered the night before which sets off guilt, fear and paranoia and after subsequent events leaves her questioning her own sanity. She begins to lose control of her life and fears that she will be the next victim of the murderer. We meet the au-pair whose nativity frustrated me no end, poor girl. Perhaps another pawn in a bargaining tool? Wait and see! And despite another player leaving an impression on me, his actions fell a little short. I doubt the author wanted me to like the nurse, either. Well done here, Richmonde. It’s been a while since I’ve had so many convoluted feelings.

Need Help?

Told from multiple points of view that all feel unreliable and deceptive. I trusted none of them, dodgy people with too many secrets. In fact the only one who seemed close to honest was Celeste, the one we are led to believe is losing her mind, that’s how twisted this story is. A frighteningly cool portrait of a serious sadist, Behind Closed Doors is a gripping, claustrophobia-inducing thriller... Read at the risk of running from every handsome British lawyer who crosses your path.” — Romantic Times

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment