276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Gladiator

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In 81 AD, a Christian (Pelonia Valeria) is sold into slavery by her evil uncle after her family and servants are killed by marauders on their way to her cousin’s wedding. Ex-gladiator, Caros Viriathos, who is now a gladiator trainer, buys Pelonia as a slave. He is attracted to her, and once he hears her story, he is compassionate. In the past he was also sold into slavery and forced to fight in the arena, or die. He won his freedom, eventually, after doing so well in the ring. Pelonia wants to be set free, but how can Caros let her go when he is falling for her? Pelonia has lost everything but her life and her God; if it were known that she was one of "the deviants," they would take her life as well. As it stands, she is a slave to the infamous Caros Viriathos, head of the gladiator training school and x-gladiator himself. When he first sees her, he is drawn to her instantly. He buys her from the slave trader, hoping to win her heart. She also feels for him, but vows she will not be a slave forever. He wants only to keep her near, while she wants her freedom. From one of the best elite athletes on the planet comes a book bursting with no-nonsense advice on how to locate your inner gladiator, and first-hand wisdom to help you push yourself beyond what you thought was possible. Non-royal protagonists tend to be in the minority in historical fiction, especially in the more violent periods of British history. Vita is therefore a welcome addition to the genre, with her strength lying in her intellect rather than her physicality.

The very culmination of this is not at the end, but rather early. It is the moment that Maximus removes his helmet, reveals his identity and faces the emperor, after a long and ferocious battle. It is a scene so poignant that I always wish it would have been saved until later on in the film, thereby giving it even more weight. But no matter, because rest assured that it is goosebumps-inducing enough. Adam Peaty shows you how to take more control of your life and helps you both discover and develop your talents. He shares his own ten secrets to a winning mental attitude, whether it be at home, at work, on the sports field, or within ourselves. Recommendation: I think this book is really good and shows just how trusting in God and knowing that we (mortal humans) will never fully understand His ways but that we need to trust that He does what is His will for our eternal salvation. As a Christian I did love this book; however, if you don't want to hear about how God uses people in their darkest times to bring others to Him, you might not like this one. A tale of redemption of a man fighting for good. A cause bigger than himself and to overthrow a tyrant obstructing the birth a republic. Revel in the violence, behold it's beauty and magnificence, wasn't a doubt in my mind that Ridley Scott would reap the rewards of his efforts and win awards galore. People who criticize this film are the same people that ridiculed Blade Runner, Alien, and my message to them is to get stuffed, thats as polite as i can put it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cato and Macro have one of the best fictional relationships I've ever come across. They are great characters and even though I should feel sorry for the slaves, as their lives are terrible, well not Ajax -he deserves it, because they are against them I just want them to lose. There is lots of drama and excitment in this one as Macro and Julia are taken captive. Cato gets underestimated more than normal in this book which I didn't like, I think he's proved himself by now!

Vita and the Gladiator – at a glance

Overall I found the book to be interesting and it does feel like each chapter builds on the previous one, though I did find some chapters spoke to me more than others - such as the finding the balance between the athlete and the normal person as I do struggle to switch off at times myself. However I did also find the challenges that are set at the end of each chapter for you to put into practice what you learnt to be not very unique as I have seen them in other places on YouTube before. We see a love between these two but so much more. There is Cat the pet tiger. His past, her future. Jealousy, forgiveness, faith and tough decisions.

Gladiator is a science fiction novel by American author Philip Wylie, first published in 1930. The story concerns a scientist who invents an "alkaline free-radical" serum to "improve" humankind by granting the proportionate strength of an ant and the leaping ability of the grasshopper. The scientist injects his pregnant wife with the serum and his son Hugo Danner is born with superhuman strength, speed, and bulletproof skin. Hugo spends much of the novel hiding his powers, rarely getting a chance to openly use them.Carla Capshaw knows how to write a breath-stealing romance. She adds just the right amount of bait on the line to reel fans of romantic historical fiction in to her tale of inspired love. Fans of The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers will enjoy this book. While this story had to be a tad kinder and gentler due to the Love Inspired label, I still found it to be edgy enough to be enjoyable. Hugo finds success in his teenage years, becoming a star football player, and receives a college scholarship. He spends summers and free time trying to find uses for his strength, becoming a professional fighter and strongman at a boardwalk. After killing another player during a football game, Hugo quits school.

Read this book in 2009, and its the 9th volume of the wonderful "Eagle" series, featuring Cato & Macro.

Disguising herself as a slave, Vita escapes the wedding preparations to watch a performance of one of her favourite stories – Theseus and the Minotaur. The fights staged in Gladiator are masterful set pieces; stylized and captured gloriously. However, the fighting in Gladiator is not unrealistic; it's graphic and bloody. The warriors who battle each other are not super-men, they are normal men, real fighters, who get bashed and beat up at every turn. These soldiers combat in a truly gritty way, they are warriors who need to smell and rub their hands in the earth they battle upon. Chief amongst these mortal combatants is Russell Crowe's, a hero of mythological stance, whose raw aggression on the battlefront, coupled with his powerful expressions (combating and not combating, his silent moments from his execution to his first brawl in the arena are his best) and compelling heroics earned him a well earned Oscar.

Caros had the traits that I love in a good hero: he was strong, but gentle, loving, possessive. He was very masculine, and he was a good man, even if he had lived a rough life, and done things he couldn’t forgive himself for. I could easily see why Pelonia fell in love with him. I could also see how the Lord had brought those two together. We are all capable of locating greatness within us and achieving hitherto unimaginable feats. Whether you are old and wise or young and bursting with energy, there are limits you are imposing on yourself that this book will help you reconsider.

Read now or download (free!)

What comes as an unexpected and pleasant addition is that we have an enemy who we had left behind long ago, emerge. One that gives us plausible cause to believe he is not only present at the recovering Crete, but his actions will and do impact the story. Wie immer ist die Geschichte nicht die Originellste und Spannenste, die man jemals gehört hat, aber das muss sie auch nicht sein. Die Bücher leben ja schließlich vom Setting und den mittlerweile ans Herz gewachsenen Charakteren Macro und Cato. Besides that, I wasn’t rooting for the main heroes. Instead, I was in support of the antagonists. I mean, Cato and Macro are fighting against a slave revolt. Am I supposed to side with the slave masters? Hell nope. I know the presence of slavery in the story was just indicative of the times and I get that. But I don’t understand how the author expected me to root for characters that are fighting against freedom? Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was so good! I loved the unique storyline and the setting, in ancient Rome. The story had great descriptions and atmosphere. There was the horror and tension of the Christian slaves being murdered in the arena. Caros, trying to understand Pelonia’s devotion to Christ. The building trust and love between Pelonia and Caros. I also liked the secondary characters, some who have their own stories in other books in this series, which I look forward to reading.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment