276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bright White Tree

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Read more about the condition Very Good: A book that has been read and does not look new, but is in excellent condition. People, of course, only die if they are forgotten, and no one, I expect, who ever met Joanna will forget her. But convinced that the reason for these experiments being carried out was purely to advance the careers of ambitious practitioners, Pappworth had to speak up. His most important single contribution was the publication in 1967 of his book The Human Guinea Pigs: Experimentation on Man. They met in a Johns Hopkins University writing seminar in 1976, and ever since have shared their work in progress over meals.

I am very sorry to be writing to let you know that Dr Joanna Seldon died on Tuesday 6 December after a long illness that she faced with much dignity and courage. When a policeman stopped her car and asked when she had last had a drink, she shot back defiantly: “Five years ago. Maurice Pappworth, the great if controversial doctor, was the most awe-inspiring person I’ve ever known. He was scathing about the experiments described in the book as “carried out on children, on pregnant women, mental defectives, on patients before and after an operation” and those with incurable diseases.I was delighted when she got in touch to offer a review copy of her latest memoir, which reflects on her nearly half a century of friendship with fellow poet Phillis Levin.

I wouldn’t want to speak ill of the dead, though, so think of this more like a self-published work collected in tribute, and then no problem. The Duke brought peace to Europe and was described by Queen Victoria as 'the greatest man this country has ever produced'. I was a Senior Registrar in a London Teaching Hospital and had heard of Pappworth’ s courses and though not a candidate for MRCP (being a surgeon) I brought along a visitor from Mass General to a couple of his talks. It might have been easy, as his daughter, to paint either a simple loving or an equally simple hateful portrait, but Joanna offered the reader an unsentimental narrative, that rang true. his slides were not of the most modern but his clinical observations and insights were with me for 40+ years.Ever selfless, when the opportunity arose for Anthony to become master of Wellington in Crowthorne, Berkshire, she supported his decision to move. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment