276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Infirmary (The DCI Ryan Mysteries)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, his attempts at finding peace are complicated when the remains of a young woman are found at a historical sight. Even though he isn’t on duty, Ryan’s instincts won’t allow him to ignore case, especially one that might have a depraved killer at its heart. This Audible Original drama stars Tom Bateman (Murder on the Orient Express, Jekyll & Hyde, Snatched), Bertie Carvel (Doctor Foster, Les Misérables), Hermione Norris (Spooks, Cold Feet) and Kevin Whately (Lewis, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) and is a prequel to the DCI Ryan series.

Ryan is drawn into the case, though he isn’t alone. Doctor Anna Taylor is a police consultant with roots on Holy Island. As she struggles to overcome her old memories, Ryan and Anna work together to catch a killer. Stop off at the nearby Sill, the UK’s National Discovery Centre and have a reviving cuppa after a long walk and take in those magnificent surroundings. Having spent a brief holiday in Northumberland last year and seen Holy Island and walked to Sycamore Gap the meeting of books to reader almost seemed inevitable.Oh Anna. We get a lot of insight into Anna. Her thoughts, emotions and reactions. Except, we don't. She offers a few bland explanations, which a first year undergraduate or keen amateur historian would know. We know she has had a troubled - violent - childhood but we are left assuming that she is psychologically balanced and totally unaffected. We are given the impression she has a glittering academic career (established in just 8 years since leaving school) but we know absolutely nothing about her everyday life - does she have a flat, a pet, friends, hobbies. Nada.

LJ Ross has done a great job giving an insight into, and greater understanding of, Ryan’s personality before the nightmare events that sent him to Holy Island, showing how those events influenced the person he became. He’s totally focussed on his job and is determined to catch the killer.If you are a fan of the DCI Ryan series then this book really is an absolute must read. Even if you haven’t, this is a great book to start the series off with, with it actually being the prequel.

There are numerous characters, many of them suspects. Is there anyone who is trustworthy? Ross provides shadowy figures, and I never knew for certain who was speaking, since this was deliberately concealed. Just when I thought I might be onto something, there would be a new wrinkle. Head across the Millennium Bridge to the Baltic Art Gallery. Take the lift up to the viewing gallery and take in the view of the market and spot the famous sights of Newcastle. I keep getting distracted by talking about the production and not the story, I can only apologise! Because to be honest they go hand in hand, the storyline was epic, the killer on the loose was scary as hell, how was he getting to the victims, and when one is way way way too close to home, well things go a bit crazy.I loved how Ryan and Anna interact with each other. They both carry some baggage and have some issues but there is still a lot of humor between them. He has the need to be protective and she has a need for independence. It's fun watching them meet in the middle. But when people award 5 stars and glowing superlatives unqualified by any critical thinking, my reaction is to think:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment