276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Neighborly: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So why only 4 stars? Because it’s a long book, and at least half of it was spent detailing one weekend with Jay’s emotionally abusive and manipulative family. This honestly wore on me, as I have personal issues with emotional abuse. It was important to see it in action so we understand Jay better and so he can overcome this hurdle, but a lot of it seemed pretty repetitious (not in that it’s the exact situation and dialogue, but that it’s in a similar vein) and I think it could have been trimmed a bit without sacrificing the overall story. Keep in mind that all of this is personal preference, so other readers will probably not have issues with this. Again, it’s all very well written, and I was able to be immersed in the situation, which is probably why it bothered me so much. I get what the author wanted for her characters. A someday when maybe somehow it might work with the shortsighted. But does the world have to accept what you do / are / love for it to be enough? No. Decidedly no. Should it? Again, no. The lesson here is you are always enough. So all of those words are not even a review of this book yet, but it's a fairly heavy series so far. Midlength in size by words, but heavy in content. There is a lot to deal with, and some of it is very sad, a bit somewhat horrifying. But if you are here because you are following the series and just want to see if this next one is worth it, this is the part that is important to you.

I eagerly awaited the release of this book. Looked forward to it as if it was a coffee date with beloved friends following a long quarantine. I have read the series multiple times, especially after a particularly tough day during this pandemic. It was a great escape. Only a few authors make me read slowly, savoring every word. Like each sentence is a delicious bite of chocolate mousse. M.Q. Barber’s language is vividly sensual, like these statements. “Understanding slipped into place like the smooth burn of a neat single malt in his throat.” Or, “His voice floated, impossibly light, a surface bubble on a simmering kettle.”I always expect these books, this series to be emotional, but this one is a heavy hitter. There are just so many varied relationship dynamics...it is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for the reader. I absolutely loved getting to know all these people that we'd only heard of in periphery, due to their relations with the main triad. Alice's sister, in particular, is one I hope we hear more from in future books. And I am forever hoping that Will can snag a turn to tell us his story. Despite what I wrote in that last paragraph, I’m glad I read this book. I’ll definitely read the next book in the series to see where the throuple end up! Minding Their Manners was probably my most anticipated read of the year, and boy it did not disappoint. I discovered this author last year and devoured the previous books in this series. I highly recommend reading the series before starting this one as there is a lot of character development and growth that pay off in this installment. There is more of a focus on dominance in this one. Henry is called master more. This was softened somewhat with the particulars, if not the actions, in previous books.

The reason I love this series is the character development. From the first book, each character is distinct. Although this one is slightly different because the POV shifts from Alice to Henry to Jay. And because I’m used to hearing only Alice’s voice, hearing from the two guys was jarring. This wasn’t the fault of the author, I want to make clear. In fact, the shifting perspective was very well done. But the arrival of Alice’s sister threatens to upend their cozy routine. Skepticism and accusations erupt in a visit bristling with tension as the sisters tear open old wounds. I wasn’t sure I would like this book as (a) I’m not keen on American novels and (b) I’ve already read several psychological thrillers about neighbours from hell. But it seemed the best of the bunch of the Kindle First on offer this month. But wow, once It got going I couldn’t put it down and I was frustrated that work and other duties got in the way of me reading. Characters in this book are dislikable… actually I’d go so far as to say detestable. Kat, our main character, is a new mum, has moved with her husband into a new house and village, and is desperate to escape her past. She wants to make new friends and move on with her life and her perfect little family. Super cliche, but sounds likable, right? A not-to-be-missed novel of suspense about the secrets hidden in a young couple’s new neighborhood.Life should be grand for Henry, Alice, and Jay. They’ve defeated the doubts that kept them apart and embraced a relationship that suits all three of them. As increasingly sinister and frighteningly personal notes arrive, each one stabs deeper into the heart of Kat’s insecurities, paranoia, and most troubling, her past. When the neighbors who seemed so perfect reveal their open secret, the menace moves beyond mean notes. Someone’s raising the stakes. The issue is that none of the characters are properly developed, and that could even be said of the main protagonists. We know nothing really about any of the neighbours beyond a snapshot, we learn next to nothing about Doug and Kat comes over as more neurotic than sympathetic a lot of the time, so as a reader I wasn't much invested in the outcome by the time it was all over.

As for the characters. There are quite a few and yet I sensed them all, got to know each one. No confusion knowing the star players in this book. As the book goes on and twists and more reveals enter play I was unable to stop reading. Nothing was tearing me away until I knew the grand finale. Healing the Wounds is quite obviously about trying to heal the trauma Jay experienced that was revealed in Crossing the Lines. However, it is also about healing wounds Alice did not see that she also carries, and touches a few in Henry as well, though for many reasons he has the fewest visible. He still has some, the events of the previous books still affected him. In the end they will be in a much more stable place, and there is a lot of work done on each person individually, the relationship as a whole, and determining where each one ultimately wishes to be in the future in relation to each other. We also get to see their perspectives on things that happened in the past. The reminiscing might account for the book’s length. I wanted to put the book down so it wouldn’t end, so I was totally okay with the length.

This was my most anticipated book of the year, and it did not disappoint! This installment of the series focused mostly on Jay’s development and his relationship with his family, but we also got to see this with both Alice and Henry’s family members, which only furthered my love of these characters. It added layers and so much more depth to these characters to see how they interacted with their families and presented their triad relationship to them. For the greatest emotional impact I strongly recommend reading the previous books in the series, so you have a deeper understanding and appreciation for where these three are in their relationship now. All in all, I’m glad I didn’t pay for it but can’t say I regret reading it. It wasn’t exactly good but it took me out of my comfort zone.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment