276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ramadan Reflections: 30 days of healing from the past, journeying with presence and looking ahead to an akhirah-focused future

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ibadah in Islam has two interrelated aspects. One is inner and the other is outer, the inner determining the outer and the outer reflecting the inner. The inner is the state of our heart. The heart must be sound and wakeful. The outer aspect has two opposing directions, one negative and the other positive. We must restrain ourselves from certain things and we must actively engage ourselves with certain things. We must keep ourselves away from things that are displeasing to Allah (swt) and strive to do things that are pleasing to Him. The introduction alone, had me bracing myself. The quote Aliyah used to end the introduction, allured me to surrender my heart & mind- to accept her invitation, and embark on a soul searching journey.

There were also often very personal anecdotes shared by the author which were really meaningful and they helped me connect even more to the book and the message of each chapter. To the outside world, the rituals and rigor of Ramadan may seem somewhat Romulan. However, those acquainted with the diverse cultural phenomena of the Star Trek universe may be surprised to learn of the many spiritual parallels that exist between the franchises and the Islamic tradition.

Welcome to the New IslamiCity

Shahadah: believing there is no deity but God and prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) as his messenger

Ramadan allows a believer to transcend to a higher spiritual plane and draw lessons that shall become his way of life for the rest of the year. During the month we will share some Ramadan Reflections from members of the King’s community. As Ramadan draws to a close we hear from Shabnam Nawaz, a Senior Teaching Fellow at the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery, who has written a poem.

Monday, April 12 th, 2021 marks the ninth month in the Islamic calendar when for thirty days, over 3.5 million American Muslims will fast and “yes, even forego water.” Ramadan for Muslims world-wide not only is one of our five pillars[1] or religious tenets, it is also an opportunity to reset, renew, and rejuvenate your spiritual connection to God ( Allah) and use the physical pangs of abstinence, hunger, thirst during the daylight[2] hours as a tangible reminder of your spiritual connection to something bigger than your body’s physical needs. However, as a religious minority it is often harder for us to do this. Living in a non-Muslim community means that we are squeezing in prayers between work meetings, breaking your fast at your son’s baseball games, or “listening” to the Quran[3] , at stoplights while rushing to your next appointment. Not necessarily conducive to that whole spiritual awakening we are supposed to be experiencing. For our family, knowing that we cannot stop our every-day lives to dedicate it solely to religious practices, we try to fit in the intent behind Ramadan in a more practical application whenever we can. Prayers that you have made, are making and will be making flow in sync with Aliyah’s own and some sections were so uncanny in how similar her reflections were to mine. Obviously hers expressed far more eloquently than mine! It is so beautifully written that I can’t even find a genre for it – snippets of her life like an autobiography, sincere Duahs like a book of supplication, space for reflection like a journal, advice to get closer to Allah like a book of guidance, quotes from The Holy Quran, scholars and hadith like a book of knowledge. She has been blessed to write this book and any reader of it is blessed to receive it. Fasting allows the individual to understand the pain and suffering of millions around the world, who live their lives in poverty and famine, leaving the participant feeling more grounded and grateful for their privileged lives and what we take for granted every day. This would usually encourage actions of generosity and charity. Charitable donation is a huge thing during the month of Ramadan. Charity, compassion and generosity should be something which is a part of our lives and not just a one-off action. Islam recognises and places a great deal of emphasis on being compassionate and caring and helping those in our communities who have less than us.

Filled with personal anecdotes from the author's life and quotes from the Quran, the book gently but firmly guides you to reflect, to take a deep and honest look at yourself and your relationship with Allah, whilst offering beautiful advice and guidance. When Eid arrives, it’s lovely to celebrate with family and work colleagues and it’s nice to suggest a celebration to colleagues who has been fasting. After Eid, I really appreciate that cup of tea in the morning and enjoy the novelty of being able to eat during the day. Reflection: In using the momentum of Ramadan as a springboard to further reflection. How can we continue doing good works for a local community? How can we make small changes of understanding to further close the gap of misunderstanding? How can we as a family come together and with our own hands help the hungry, care for our neighbor, reconnect with God ( Allah) in a way that is more meaningful than rushed prayers in between activities?

Main Hubs & Home Pages

So, this is the first book I have been able to complete in a very long time. It broke boundaries of my short attention span due to the way it has been written – passionately yet succinctly. From the heart, to the point, yet leaving you wanting more. I feel absolutely honoured to have been an early-reader for Aliyah Umm Raiyaan’s Ramadan Reflections and this review comes very honestly, not just a recommendation.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment