276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Open Circuits: The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Electricity is one of them and, if we think about it for a moment, it is something so essential that it is hard to imagine ourselves without it. My inner child appreciated the peek inside various switches, learning how they work, and why they feel so satisfying to flip. That wasn't the case here - this book does a fantastic job of showcasing the various electronic components, with many of the photographs taking up full or half pages. This ended up on my radar while I was looking for nonfiction with a good combination of visuals and info.

Aside from the impressive precision of these components (though there are exceptions, a particularly poorly made coax cable is roasted by the authors) the photography is really notable for bringing out glorious color in these components - sometimes included for manufacturing reasons, sometimes an artifact of the materials themselves - but normally not seen by human eyes at all, safely enclosed in plastic, ceramic, or metal boxes. From resistors to LEDs, USB cables to headphone jacks, stepper motors to nixie tubes, the book’s arresting imagery transforms more than 130 components into delightful works of art.As you visually dissect the components' insides, you'll learn about how they work and how they were made. Although everything was beautiful and more interesting than I expected, my favorite chapter was probably the electromechanics one. The book wraps up with a "making of" section that describes how the various electronic components were prepared and photographed, plus a bit about macro photography. Through painstakingly executed, vividly detailed cross-section photography, Open Circuits reveals the surprising—and often accidental—beauty hiding inside the electronic components that drive our everyday devices.

After the leads are attached, the films are rolled up and dipped into an epoxy that binds the assembly together. A lovely book about electrical and electronic components that will delight those who have ever wondered what the insides of them look like.This energy-efficient design helps maximize the battery life of cellphones and other portable electronics. Connecting wires are attached using solder, and the whole assembly is dipped into a porous coating material that dries hard and protects the capacitor from damage. I sectioned the glass envelope and the electron gun separately – each took several hours to wet sand. Apart from their more popular ones like Eloquent Javascript and Automate The Boring Stuff, i have discovered several nice gems in their catalogue which they keep small and of really high quality.

Artist Moki branches out into new mediums in her latest monograph, which features flat yet evocative images picked out in black, white and many tones of unpainted wood that serves to make its audience question their own definition of shelter. This lovely book is organized into six sections: passive components (resistors, capacitors, fuses, etc. Some of his better-known projects include the MOnSter 6502 (the world's largest 6502 microprocessor, made out of individual transistors) and the Snark Barker (a retro recreation of the famous Sound Blaster sound card). This is a visually stunning and highly informative book on the inner workings of electronic components.

This high-stability film resistor, about 4 millimeters in diameter, is made in much the same way as its inexpensive carbon-film cousin, but with exacting precision. I have already read through the PDF, and there are so many beautiful illustrations that help show what is actually happening inside a component. If you have ever wondered how an electrical or electronic part looks like or works, you may find yourself mesmerized by the details in the book. From resistors to LEDs, USB cables to headphone jacks, the book's arresting imagery transforms more than 130 components into delightful works of art.

This transformer has multiple sets of windings and is used in a power supply to create multiple output AC voltages from a single AC input such as a wall outlet. There's never been any mystery about what is in one – stacked layers of metal electrodes – but it took us a lot of experimentation and cutting into different capacitors to find one where you could literally see and count the individual layers.Our phones, computers, and appliances are made of hundreds of internal components, each precisely engineered to perform a certain function, but none intended to actually be seen. Produced annually, this compendium highlights a selection of work from the disciplines of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning and design, and design engineering. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment