276°
Posted 20 hours ago

What We Don't Talk About When We Talk About Fat

£12£24.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As organizers, our job is to build a collective vision, make sure that folks are enrolled in that collective vision, and push together in concert to make some changes. This quote: “We deserve a paradigm of personhood that does not make size or health a prerequisite for dignity and respect,” has stuck with me. Reading about this, my heart broke for fat kids everywhere who bear the burden of our obsession with thinness. By sharing her experiences as well as those of others—from smaller fat to very fat people—she concludes that to be fat in our society is to be seen as an undeniable failure, unlovable, unforgivable, and morally condemnable.

What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat by Aubrey What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat by Aubrey

Ask them what you can do to help them in the moment if you witness street harassment or someone treating them differently as a result of their size. See more videos about When People Tell U U Getting Fat, When She Tells Me Shes Fat, When People Say They Are Fat But Are Not, When They Say They Are Fat, When Someone Tells You You Are Fat, When People Think You Are Fat. In her new book, What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat, Gordon seamlessly threads a personal narrative with data and history. Everyone, but especially straight-sized individuals, and people who still hold onto ideas about weight as a proxy for health. What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fatis a crucial tool to create a tectonic shift in the way we see, talk about, and treat our bodies, fat and thin alike.Her voice felt familiar even though we had never met, and I soon realized that her online moniker is accurate: I felt like I was talking to a friend, one who understood the pain of living in a body that society is constantly trying to shrink. There’s no question that anti-fat bias, and anti-fatness as a structure, is a direct outgrowth of anti-Black racism,” Gordon says. Gordon, also known as “Your Fat Friend,” (previously anonymously), has claimed her own space online where fat stories are welcome. You hear it from your co-worker who won’t stop talking about how they simply cannot eat another cookie at the holiday party. She recommends some easy policy changes, like including body size as a protected class in schools where states have banned bullying.

What we don’t talk about when we talk about fat: by Aubrey

Anti-fatness isn’t about saving fat people, expressing concern for our health, or even about hurting us.

In a world where thinness reigns supreme and diet talk is as normal as talking about the weather, fat folks rarely have the opportunity to share their stories without fear of being bullied or berated.

What We Dont Talk about When We Talk about Fat | TikTok What We Dont Talk about When We Talk about Fat | TikTok

The marginalization and public abuse of very fat people is so commonplace that it has become accepted, but that doesn’t make it acceptable. Despite a mountain of evidence linking physical and mental health to social discrimination, the conversation about fat and health stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the possible influence of stigma in determining fat people’s health. This kind of discrimination against fat people is part of a larger cultural obsession with thinness, which has roots in White supremacy.

Leaving the religion of diet culture 🙌🏼 It’s a wild ride ✌🏼 Sources pictured: Anti-diet by Christy Harrison and What we don’t talk about when we talk about fat by Aubrey Gordon.

Fat Friend Wants You to Start Having Conversations With Your Fat Friend Wants You to Start Having Conversations With

We have managed to normalize something that is by almost every measure harmful to pretty much every person. The reviews and comments posted on this site reflect the opinions of individual posters and do not reflect the views of Cannonball Read. What I wanted to lay out in that last chapter wasn’t the end-all be-all of fat liberation, but a series of policies that would actually stem the tide of the incredible wave of harm that is visited upon fat people. One area she focuses on, which I found enlightening, was the way the body positivity movement — along with other similar areas — treat the concerns fat people raise as ‘insecurities. Like health and wellness, which many argue is the newest incarnation of diet culture, thinness has become culturally synonymous with moral virtue, thus making fatness its moral opposite.In her book, Gordon references sociologist Sabrina String’s Fearing the Black Body, in which Strings argues that fatphobia was never about health, but serves as a tool to “validate race, class, and gender prejudice,” dating back to colonization. The last chapter of Gordon’s book supplies a vision for a better world for fat people, and all people. Author Gordon, who describes herself as very fat, explores all the ways in which society fails fat people, offering suggestions for body justice.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment