276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ficciones

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Each person has a complex set of turns in a ridiculously intricate path that I think represents every decision we face – right, left, X, O, date, dump – whatever. Though, principally, the reason he decided to steal the book from the parcel (he was hoping for a new video game or Blu-ray to sell on) was because Jorge was very close to his own name. Borges prides himself on reducing entire unwritten novels into condensed kernels, and at a mere 170 pages Ficciones is itself the kernel of something much grander.

No me gustaría decir que Borges no es para todos, Borges es de hecho para todos los lectores, para quien quiera aproximarse a su literatura y encontrarse ante una experiencia única y singular. Thousands of the greedy abandoned their sweet native hexagons and rushed up the stairways, urged on by the vain intention of finding their Vindication. Borges is fascinated by the concept that if something has been thought about, has acquired meaning through that contemplation, then that something has become real.Fortunately Borges, a man who Kerrigan says “has made the acquaintance of all religions… knows Madrid, Paris, and Geneva… [and] has read all the books,” seems to know his way around the block. On the one hand we have a serious and sincere proposition; on the other we have the realization that what the narrator describes is trivial and meaningless. These stories are often elusive, twisting out of your grasp or revealing unexpected depths just when you think you’ve got a handle on them. This twenty page story (the longest in the book) is so abstruse and heavily laden with philosophical ideas and allusions that I found it almost completely impenetrable.

In 1955, he was appointed director of the National Public Library (Biblioteca Nacional) and professor of Literature at the University of Buenos Aires. In 1948, the story "The Garden of Forking Paths" was translated into English by Anthony Boucher and published in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.Me recordó a aquellos días en que tomaba el subte hacia Constitución con el fin de tomar posteriormente el tren en dirección hacia el sur, principalmente para dirigirme a La Plata a visitar a algún amigo o simplemente para pasar un agradable fin de semana. An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain” ― This is another satirical review piece, purporting to review four (non-existent) works written by a (fictional) author.

Ahora mismo recuerdo uno de los cuentos, El milagro secreto, del que no entendí casi nada, pero de verdad, nada. Thought creates its own reality, and reality is composed of varied systems of being and behavior; thought becomes the way that reality is interpreted - and therefore enacted. If you read one of these tales out of context you might mistake it for a non-fictional essay, albeit with quirks. These parallel or successive universes repeats themselves as a hand of card does after multiple runs. Dicho lo anterior, y dejando un poco de lado la parte objetiva, esta recopilación de cuentos me ha parecido algo muy diferente a lo que suelo leer, y la sorpresa que me llevé no fue la más grata en términos generales.

Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius is a story that gives us imaginary countries and worlds that get into encyclopedias and take on a life of their own.

There’s a twist to this tale, echoing the Irishman’s portentous comment that “[w]hat one man does is something done, in some measure, by all men. He also received a letter from a Louis, saying that the man he had stolen the book from was very much real, and not how he had imagined.As we say one overdoes something until one perfects it, Borges has developed a much serene, subtler prose from the baroque style employing strained and startling metaphors from his early days, and mind you that quieter style has beauty of undertones which may take you to so many avenues in so little words. In any case, the countries Borges described became entirely new territories for me, places I have never visited or could never visit. The oddest thing about that odd story is that, as I read it, I remembered reading it before though I had been certain that this volume of stories was my first experience of reading Borges!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment