276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Aftersun [DVD]

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Along the way we are given snippets of her father's troubles. Wells' very cleverly weaves in a subtext that works to a crescendo in the last 10 minutes which includes one of the most brilliant transition shots in recent cinema (not hyperbole, it really is brilliant). The viewer is invited to join the dots on what has happened between the two timelines and there are several clues that help. Lattanzio, Ryan (24 May 2022). "A24 Buys Paul Mescal Cannes Drama 'Aftersun' for U.S., Canada (Exclusive)". IndieWire. Archived from the original on 24 May 2022 . Retrieved 24 May 2022. I'm always happy when I see debut feature's from new filmmakers, Charlotte Wells is the newest addition to that list. After Lynne Ramsay and Ruth Paxton, here we have another brilliant Scottish Filmmaker with her feature debut "Aftersun" produced by Barry Jenkins and Adele Romanski. The story revolves around Sophie and her father Calum, a divorcee who must care for his minor daughter while coping with loneliness and mental health. While it can make for a frustrating first viewing, the clarity that comes with the film's final shot suddenly puts everything into perspective and I felt an overwhelming flood of emotion for the two central characters. There are some good scenes here. When the father and the daughter were dancing under the sound of David Bowie in the end, it was a sad and beautiful scene, especially when you listen to this particular song's lyrics. Chemistry was great, i really felt their love for each other.

Even though it is not the same case at all, I remember the times as a kid I closed the door on my dad because he would come home late from work. That because he would promise me to come home early.

See also

Aftersun had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on 21 May 2022, where Wells was nominated for the Golden Camera. It was theatrically released in the United States on 21 October 2022, and in the United Kingdom on 18 November 2022. The film received widespread acclaim from critics, who praised Wells' direction and screenplay, and the performances of Corio and Mescal. It received four nominations at the 76th BAFTA awards, where Wells won for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer. [3] Mescal was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor at the 95th Academy Awards. Aftersun was named one of the best films of 2022 by the National Board of Review [4] and was awarded top place by Sight and Sound on its poll for the best films of 2022. [5] Plot [ edit ] There are a lot of people here that got emotional watching it. This movie touched their souls. Out of respect for them, i will be very careful as i write my review.

Aftersun review – luminous father-daughter drama starring Paul Mescal". The Guardian. 20 November 2022. Archived from the original on 20 November 2022 . Retrieved 16 January 2023. Aftersun was distributed in Austria, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Latin America, Spain, Turkey and the United Kingdom by Mubi and in the United States and Canada by A24. [19] [20] It was released in the United States on 21 October 2022 and in the United Kingdom on 18 November 2022. [21] [22] Aguilar, Carlos (21 May 2022). " 'Aftersun' Film Review: Charlotte Wells Debuts With an Achingly Stirring Coming-of-Age Tale". TheWrap. Archived from the original on 23 May 2022 . Retrieved 23 May 2022. Earlier, there were signs as he danced in silence on the balcony while smoking that his mental health wasn't great because it was off-kilter, an inappropriate moment to dance in silence, and to dance oddly as if self-comforting, nearly talking to himself, but not quite. Daniels, Robert. "Writing Inside Out: Charlotte Wells on Aftersun". RogerEbert.com. Archived from the original on 18 October 2022 . Retrieved 16 January 2023.

You may also like

Reception [ edit ] Critical response [ edit ] Paul Mescal received widespread critical praise for his performance as Calum Paterson, and received his first career nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor. Suffering happen more often than not in silence, and it's the cumulative of this film's many quiet moments that drive home one of the most effective, nuanced messages of compassion that I've seen all year.

Subtlety is great when the director is skillful. But never go full subtle. This is a movie, not a poem. A certain level of connection with the events and the characters, is necessary. I love poetic/dream like/art movies. But in this case, i need a strong imagery, deep meanings, substance over style, beautiful cinematography etc. This movie didn't provide me anything of that. Secondly, kudos for Charlotte Wells as she cleverly registers emotions though it is never explained in dialogues. In fact, very little is explained in this atmospheric film. I loved the staging of a particular scene, Sophie takes a small glance through the keyhole as she watches girl "hand job" gesture while she brags about it with her friends. So many things would have gone wrong here but i appreciate Wells for drawing a line and keeping things delicate throughout the runtime.

Vlessing, Etan (25 May 2022). "Cannes: 'La Jauria' Tops Critics' Week Prizes". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 25 May 2022 . Retrieved 26 July 2022. At their last supper Colum pays for a polaroid snap of them together. While Sophie wistfully wishes they could stay at the resort forever we watch the photo slowly developing, firming up to clarity, a miniature of the slowly revealing montages we have been absorbing. Don't think this is is yet another traumatic arthouse film with ambiguous narrative that drags out and goes nowhere. I promise you that this plot is smart, will immerse you avidly, sometimes choking on what is happening on the screen. Because it is very difficult to resist drawing parallels with real life. Some might feel this is a personal story or the life story of your friends is woven into the film. Halligan, Fionnuala (21 May 2022). " 'Aftersun': Cannes Review". Screen Daily. Archived from the original on 23 May 2022 . Retrieved 23 May 2022.

I will go against the tide with AFTERSUN and say I don't think it's a great movie. Written and directed by Sophie Wells, AFTERSUN tells the story of Sophie (Frankie Corio) reflecting on a summer holiday with her father (Calum, played by Paul Mescal) 20 years before. She reflects on a few key moments from the holiday while trying to reconcile the difference between her father when she was 12 years old and the father she has come to know since. Paul Mescal on getting into the 'Dad' mindset while filming Aftersun". YouTube. Archived from the original on 11 January 2023 . Retrieved 11 January 2023. A teenage girl (Sophie) and her father (Calum) journey to a seaside resort in Turkey for a brief but momentous vacation. Since her parents are separated and she lives with her mother, Sophie rarely gets such an opportunity to spend time with her dad. As they swim and snorkel together, share meals and a room, and talk about important things in life, the two begin to truly bond. Happy and cherished memories are formed, yet problems such as depression, alcoholism, and doubt surface as well. Sophie and Calum attempt to ride the waves that lift them up but just as easily take them under.

Similar titles suggested by members

National Board of Review Announces 2022 Award Winners". 8 December 2022. Archived from the original on 9 December 2022 . Retrieved 8 December 2022. Hopefully I will be able to share my love and gratitude my parents as Charlotte did here with such elegance through some way. Since, it's not easy to recapture feeling this instant or in any...

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment