276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine All-in-One Router

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The amount of customizability can be overwhelming. But you can start with default settings and gradually change over time as your needs grow. Excellent traffic management and VPN support You can do virtually anything you'd want to do with the UDM-SE's ports or connected clients, and in comprehensive ways. And the console has everything you can think of regarding network, Wi-Fi, and mesh configurations. Source: Harish Jonnalagadda / Android Central (Image credit: Source: Harish Jonnalagadda / Android Central) However, it's also the least secure. It's better than no VPN at all, and it does its purpose of making a remote device part of a local network. On the other hand, the AmpliFi family, represented by the HD Wi-Fi system or the Alien, is for the home environment. They are simple Wi-Fi routers, easy to use but with a limited feature set.

It took me quite some time to finally review the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition (UDM-SE). I generally cover consumer products, and this is an advanced device designed for pro-consumers, SMBs, or even enterprise environments.

An affordable security gateway that can take care of a wide range of security needs

While the UDM doesn’t have all the flexibility of the older UniFi products, it makes up for that in being convenient and cost effective. If you went out and bought all the equivalents, you’d end up spending more and getting less in a few ways. The USG and USG-Pro can’t match the performance of the UDM. You still have the option to expand your UniFi network, even if the UDM is where you start. UDM Expandability Network: All things related to the function of a network, including network settings/features, Wi-Fi, mesh, and the support for extender/access points, etc. First implemented in Windows 95 and has been part of the Windows operating systems and many other platforms since PPTP is well-supported and the easiest to use.

This is where the UniFi Dream Machine shines: it is powered by a 1.7GHz quad-core Cortex A57 chipset, and has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage. That's eight times the RAM of the RT-AC5300 and 128 times the amount of storage. The beefier hardware is because the Dream Machine also has UniFi's network controller built in, as well as a managed switch. Create new RADIUS profile. This will allows you to enable a RADIUS assigned VLAN for wired or wireless networks, and specify a RADIUS server if not using the UDM. In fact, coupling the UDM-SE with the U6 Enterprise and you'll get a better Wi-Fi solution than the Dream Wall with a couple of hundred US dollars to spare. (The console can manage any UniFi APs via the Network application.) Short for Layer 2 Tunnel Protocol is the second most popular VPN protocol -- it's also a built-in application in most modern operating systems -- and an interesting one. Also, perhaps this could be a great idea for another post from you where you can recommend the Unifi UPS and also which splitters and link it to your excellent PoE article which I just read as well. Also, would you recommend any specific splitters on the market? I’m always worried about buying something cheap that will fry my equipment at worst, or just degrade its life at best due to poor and ‘noisy’ power delivery.Despite it’s all-in-one nature, the UDM has most of the expandability options the UniFi line has. The built-in controller can adopt downstream network devices. You can add a switch if you need more wired devices or PoE out. If you need more wireless coverage, you can connect an UniFi AP. Since the UDM does not provide PoE, make sure you have a way to power those devices, either with a power injector or separate PoE switch. The initial setup of the UDM is very simple, and I won’t cover it in too much depth here. If you want a visual guide to how to adopt and get started with the UDM, refer to my UDM Setup Guide for the basics. I show how to setup a remote access VPN and portal-based guest wireless network below. Connect (currently in Early Access): A fully integrated "Enterprise of Things" hardware and software solution that works with UID to simplify IT management for organizations. The UDM-SE (as well as the UDR) got the UniFi OS 3 treatment in November 2022. The UDM-Pro will likely get the OS later in 2023 but still be lesser in terms of power and ports.

Also, since the router has just one 10Gbps LAN port, I put it in a double-NAT to copy data from my 10Gbps-capable server via its other 10Gbps WAN port. This setup is also not ideal for performance.The UniFi family -- represented by the Dream Machine (UDM), UDM-Pro, the Dream Router (UDR), or UDM-SE... -- aims at business/pro/enterprise users. They are comprehensive consoles acting as the central controllers of various products, of which networking devices are only part of the picture. UniFi can also be self-hosted on a Windows/macOS/Linux machine, but this is only recommended for users proficient with network administration, because it requires constant and precise attention. You’ll need to manually configure your network for sufficient communication between UniFi Network and all of your networking devices. Success hinges on your ability to continuously navigate various third-party software, firewalls and other networking devices.

You can get Wi-Fi 7 router today, but the standard is not yet ready, and nobody knows how exactly it will be when it's eventually certified.

In case you're wondering, the storage space is not user-accessible. The UDM-SE doesn't function as a mini NAS server. If you want to use them with a non-Ubiquiti device, such as a managed Multi-Gig switch, set the third-party device's SFP+ port in DAC or Auto (and not SFP+) mode. Else, no SFP+ copper cable will work.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment