276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Growing in to Autism

£18.975£37.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are probably a lot of adults who may be having the same thoughts and feelings you were when considering exploring an autism diagnosis. This was a profound awakening – throughout her life she had been masking her true self and this effort had come at great physical, mental and emotional cost.

I realised that I had spent so much time and energy masking who I was so that I could meet the expectations of other people that I had lost sight of who I actually was. She is also careful to explain that her experiences are not universal; each Autistic person has different strengths and support needs. This is an important book for neurotypicals in understanding autistic behaviours for what they are, and for other autistics to gain some self-insight possibly. For a long time I didn’t think I needed a formal diagnosis because I was at a stage in my life where I assumed it wouldn’t make much difference.This is a comprehensive study of one woman's autism and, as such, it will be extremely helpful for anybody who thinks they might be autistic themselves or who knows somebody who has been diagnosed with autism.

My relationship with masking has changed fundamentally since my diagnosis, although I would have to say that it is still evolving. Growing in to Autism is a book for everyone, not just those adults seeking a clinical diagnosis of autism. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and looked forward to reading about Thom-Jones' experiences as an Autistic woman. We are not alone in our every day struggle against the complexities and multiple facades of a layered world.

It was an absolute life-changer, and the beginning of a journey into being comfortable with myself as a human being. I thought I had likely done such a good job of masking in front of him that he would reject the suggestion as ludicrous. It is no surprise that what is emerging from her "lived experience" is "professional expertise", allied with her six degrees each of which in some way contributes profoundly to the conversation. I hope that the book gives non-autistic readers some insight into what it is like to be an autistic person. Inevitably, in telling tells her considerable skills and successes as facts, the author comes across as boastful, as indeed her autistic son warned her.

I wanted information to be easy to find and accessible to people with different levels of knowledge and experience of autism.When autism was mentioned as a possible diagnosis for her older son, her knowledge was like most people’s—based on stereotypes. This book is for everyone especially those wanting a comprehensive understanding of Autism or for those experiencing it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment