276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands: One of Barack Obama’s Favourite Books of 2022

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

NINTH ANNUAL CHILDREN'S CHOICE BOOK AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED DURING THE 97TH ANNUAL CHILDREN'S BOOK WEEK". The Children’s Book Council . Retrieved 25 April 2021.

Ducks by Kate Beaton | CBC Books Read an excerpt from Ducks by Kate Beaton | CBC Books

On her way to a better paying job at an OPTI-Nexen camp, where workers stay 24/7, Kate’s Somali taxi driver tells her: “You be careful, young girl. You live here, they don’t. Do you know how people treat a place where they don’t live?” Of Scottish descent, Beaton grew up with her three sisters in Mabou on the isle of Cape Breton. [2] She went to a small school for K–12, only having 23 people in her class. [3] She graduated from Mount Allison University in 2005 with a Bachelor of Arts in history and anthropology. [4] In the afterword, Katie Beaton is incredibly generous sharing about her experience from working in the oil sands between the years 2005 to 2008–(for 2 years).issues still facing the Athabaskan Chipewyan First Nation, Fort McMurray, Mikisew Cree First Nation, as well as the Métis communities in Northern Alberta. If I'm rigorously honest with myself, I perhaps felt a twinge of disappointment that this doesn't play to some of her key strengths. Not to say that this is a humourless book – it isn't – but her sights are clearly set on different things here. It invites comparison not with her earlier history strips, but with other great comics memoirs of recent years like Fun Home or Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?. She's shown that she can absolutely produce that kind of work with the best of them, though to be honest what I liked about her stuff is that she always seemed to be trying things that were completely different from that.

Jeopardy! super-champion Mattea Roach is ready for their next

I knew absolutely nothing about Canada's oil sands before reading this graphic memoir. Truth be told, I know very little about Canada in general and hadn't even heard of the oil sands. Beaton paints a very bleak picture. The Canada Reads debates will take place on March 27-30. This year, we are looking for one book to shift your perspective. Walking through the OPTI-Nexen camp at night, Kate hears a man playing guitar and singing a familiar maritime song alone in his room. At times the narrative is a little choppy the large cast starts to blur together, but the book held my attention throughout, making me so mad and sad and sympathetic.The highway, which links the Edmonton area to the oil sands plants north of Fort McMurray, has become infamous because of the high number of injuries and deaths on the narrow but busy roadway”.

Ducks by Kate Beaton | CBC Books

The lines between laughter and hysteria, despair and rage — with frequent painful revelations about human behavior —had me ‘only’ slowing down my reading so that I could stare longer I see outstanding graphics. Alberta’s oil sands are the third-largest oil reserve in the world. The mines are large enough to be seen from space. They’re also considered some of the most environmentally destructive oil fields in the world, and Indigenous populations say the mines have been ruinous to their way of life.

Retailers:

a b c Armitstead, Claire (2022-09-15). " 'We had to leave home for a better future': Kate Beaton on the brutal, drug-filled reality of life in an oil camp". the Guardian . Retrieved 2022-11-07. There is a lot of history to try to understand….(Indigenous rights, misogyny, environmental issues, capitalism, the complexity of real people)…. Though the book is entirely from Beaton's perspective, there is significant subtext throughout, [4] and many moments in the story reflect larger movements in Canada around the environment, politics, culture, and economics surrounding the oil sands. [6] Beaton is a migrant worker; growing up in an economically depressed part of Canada, she understood that she would have to leave home to make money and repay her student debt. [2] She and many other workers are forced to take on difficult and undesirable jobs, and there are undertones of class resentment towards those who chastise oil sands workers while their economic standing shields them from making such a difficult compromise. [4] [2] Most of the other workers are men, outnumbering women 50-to-1. [7] Beaton is subjected to frequent sexual harassment, but because of her need to pay off her debt, she does not report others and continues to work. [4] [8] They will be hosted by Ali Hassan and will be broadcast on CBC Radio One, CBC TV, CBC Gem and on CBC Books.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment