276°
Posted 20 hours ago

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700) Dual Band WiFi 6 Extendable Gaming Router, 2.5G Port, Gaming Port, Mobile Game Mode, Port Forwarding, Subscription-free Network Security, VPN, AiMesh Compatible

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Avoid the initial major release (*): This is the first firmware version of a model where the 3xx number changes, such as from 384 to 386 or from 386 to 388. Generally, the latest minor update of the previous major firmware release is always the most stable. Operating mode : Wireless router mode,Access point mode,Media bridge mode,Repeater mode,AiMesh node mode The new Pro router on the inside reminds me of the similarly-specced GT-AX6000, part of Asus's ROG Rapture gaming hardware. Would one or two more RT-AX86S do the job or would RT-AX86U Pro be better for main router? Also I imagine the current extender would do just fine in the basement for now?

RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) - Tech Specs - ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) - Tech Specs - ASUS

The 86u pro experienced none of the issues seen with the 88u pro. Kind of disappointing. The only positive thing I can say .. The 88u pro did show a slightly faster wired/ethernet DL speed, but not worth the aggravation and other issues I experienced. Subsequently, Asus released the RT-AC3100, which shares the same Wi-Fi specs but has four fewer LAN ports. Since the RT-AC88U is an AC3100 router, folks were confused between the two at the time — and probably still are today. So to test its Multi-Gig connection using its two 2.5GbE ports (WAN + LAN), I used a double NAT setup via another 10Gbps router, and the router did quite well, producing a sustained rate of over 2000Mbps. (A port has to deal with more overhead when working as a WAN port than a LAN.) Asus RT AX88U Pro: Wired performance of the Multi-Gig ports

Now I already have one RT-AX86S (it was a steal last year for 100) on the 2nd floor and RP-AX56 extender on the 1st, but signal is so-so in the basement. Now due to the way the cables are run through the house the main router will have to be in the 1st floor, main living space is 2nd floor and computer room/office will maybe one day be moved to basement/garage. The router features an indication light and LED indicators for LAN, Power, WAN, and WPS, providing users with visual status updates at a glance. Additionally, it includes an on/off switch for convenient power control.

RT-AX86U Pro|WiFi Routers|ASUS Singapore RT-AX86U Pro|WiFi Routers|ASUS Singapore

I knew I’d never, ever see that couple-hundred Mbps the RT-AX88U Pro supposedly offers over the RT-AX86U Pro for 802.11ax, and I really only use 2.4 GHz for low-bandwidth IoT devices that don’t support 5 GHz anyway. Due to the different power supply requirements on USB external hard disk and 4G/5G Modem device, to ensure that the external device can be used stably, if the USB external device exceeds the standard USB 2.0 (5V/500mA) and USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5V/900mA) power supply requirements, you need to use it with an independent external power supply. I don’t have a gig or more internet connection (it is 200Mbit on optical at the moment and it works fast enough for now). As soon as I replaced my old RT-AC68U with the RT-AX86U Pro, I gained over 100 Mbps on a wired connection, thanks no doubt mainly to the faster processor. I’m now getting ~945 Mbps (up and down) on a connection rated for 1 GHz. In fact, the new Pro router has everything you'd expect in a top-tier ROG Rapture router, save for the bling -- there's no Aura light. And that includes a built-in client for WTFast gaming private network, which is normally only available in top-tier gaming routers, such as the GT-AX11000. The Asus RT-AX88U Pro, running an official firmware as pictured here, includes all gaming features available in Asus gaming routers.

This post will help with those questions. The gist is if pricing is the same, then there’s no reason not to get the Pro version. And The RT-AX86S can be a good choice for a non-demanding home. The company’s select models — including RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AXE16000, GT-AX6000, ZenWiFi Pro ET12/ XT12, and ExpertWiFi Series — also support a more advanced VLAN feature allowing users to customize their network ports accordingly. Additionally, these models generally share the same Pro-only features on top of the standard set available in all Asus routers. The takeaway

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment