276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shine

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Soon she finds others look at her different. Some do not like her color. They are mean and mistreat her. All her hopes and dreams are soon shattered. Ruth happened to be on the outskirts of the universe. This book really did my heart some good, this week. I wasn't sure what to expect, based solely on that cover. But was easily a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating from me! It was engaging and everything I hope for from a middle grade novel.

Luna's Little Library. Shine has a charm that I love so much from fairytales. I was really happy reading and think it’ll be one of those books I’ll re-read on a regular basis. Recommend it? Absolutely. Read the Review. Da ich schon immer sehr gerne die Bücher von Jodi Picoult gelesen habe, war ich schon sehr gespannt auf die Kurzgeschichte "Das Mädchen mit den roten Schuhen". Diese Kurzgeschichte ist ausschließlich als eBook erschienen und ist die Vorgeschichte zum Roman "Kleine große Schritte", der am 2. Oktober 2017 erscheinen wird. Erz��hlt wird die Geschichte aus der Sicht der achtjährigen Ruth, die in den späten Siebzigern auf eine neue Schule wechselt. Dabei fällt sie direkt auf, denn sie ist die einzige schwarze Schülerin an der Schule, was zur damaligen Zeit leider noch oftmals ein Problem darstellte. Dies bekommt Ruth auch zu spüren, denn obwohl sie sich sehr um Anschluss bemüht, wird sie oftmals nur von ihren Mitschülern abgewiesen. Kim Gruschow, Readings (Australia). Shine is a cleverly addictive and mysterious novel filled with warm characters and moments that do ultimately shine over menacing presences. Read the Review. Piper is not sure how she feels about going to this new school, but she is eager to make her father happy. After she arrives, she learns that she not only has a bully in another student, but also a wonderful group of like-minded friends. When a teacher challenges them to think of who they want to be- now, not just when they grow up- Piper begins to think carefully about who she does or doesn't want to be.Survival horror novels work best with strong characterisation and the four main protagonists (three women and one man) play off each other beautifully, each dealing with varying degrees of trauma and loneliness. However, my favourite is without doubt the parrot which Mina is hired to transport in the opening stages and refuses to abandon (I love her for this) when her car breaks down. It would have broken my heart if anything happened to this lovely and expressive creature! SHINE! is an absolutely beautiful story about deciding who you want to be, kindness, and finding your own path. Piper Milly is the daughter of an aspiring musician who dreams of writing and producing his own musical but teaches middle school choir to make ends meet. After his a capella group wins a big competition, he is offered a newly vacated job at the fancy private school, Chumley Prep. As part of the deal, he gets free tuition for Piper, which he eagerly accepts. Ms. Mina is her mama’s employer and Christina's mom. Ruth's mama is a housekeeper for the wealthy white family. They were a good family and helped her attain a full scholarship, but she had done the work, taken a test and done well. She was grateful for this incredible opportunity and wanted to make her mama proud. She wanted her to have a good education, so she could make something of herself.

Philip Ardagh, The Guardian: “ Gourlay has created something very special here; a precious and important novel that also explores exile from neighbours, family and country. The book is about reinvention and the faces we present to the world, whether it be in person, on a postcard or on the internet, all wrapped up in an exciting and perfectly paced story with a disturbing and dramatic climax.” View Shine books introduce us to six character with SEN: Alice, an Aardvark with Autism; Charlie, a Chimpanzee with ADHD; Dylan, a Dog with Dyslexia; Emma, an Ele phant with Epilepsy; Ollie, an Otter with OCD; and Priya, a Panda with Dyspraxia. Just when you think it might be getting a little bit samey around the 50% mark, it makes a very clever plot revelation which livens things up and later on about 75%, there is another very sneaky plot shift which changes the direction of where the book heads. The ending was not what I expected, but it is beautifully worked, as the author fans the story out into a much bigger picture and a potential sequel. Often in novels of this ilk, frustratingly many questions go unanswered, but this is not the case in The Watchers, where there are a refreshing number of answers. Dabei beschreibt die Autorin auf erschütternde Art und Weise aus Kindersicht, was Rassismus und Vorurteile bereits im Kindesalter anrichten können. Gleichzeitig macht die Autorin auch Lust auf mehr, denn "Das Mädchen mit den roten Schuhen" ist nur die Vorgeschichte zum Roman "Kleine große Schritte". Da Ruth in "Kleine große Schritte bereits erwachsen ist und auch da mit Rassismus zu kämpfen hat, bin ich sehr gespannt darauf, wie es Ruth im Laufe der Jahre ergangen ist. Nothing broke my heart in this book, and I loved it! It was such a cute, dynamic story that kept me wanting more (even though it only took me a day to read).Christina and Ruth had been friends for a long time; however, this was something new. There would be no one who looked like her. How would Christina treat her around her friends? This story follows Ruth, who we already adore, in a story from her childhood. I loved getting more of this amazing character from Small Great Things, which (if you weren’t aware) is one of my favorite books of all time.

I read fast, and this book is for the middle grade audience, thus why it only took me a day. For younger readers, it would probably take a few days to a week to finish. There are a few heavy topics in this book, but nothing that children won’t understand. A special young girl you will fall in love with, as she learns at a young age the injustice of a cruel world of prejudice, race, and privilege. That was all it took. That chink in the foundation, that work of a question—for Ruth to peek behind the fancy wrapping of the story she’d created in her own mind. The justification, the wishful thinking—it swept away by the broom of doubt, like so much smoke. “ Rosa suffers from a rare condition that renders her mute. She lives on the strange island of Mirasol where the rain never seems to stop.This was an all around 5 star book, no question. Many of these quotes will make my FB personal profile over the next few weeks as inspiration to my friends and family to realize their full-potential is not in what they accomplish by awards, or what their financial status is, but instead in how they treat others and the value of their relationships. This is a lesson many adults still have yet to learn, and one that would change the world we live in if practiced by all.

Charlie (A Chimpanzee With ADHD) immediately became our favourite character – and one we could relate to! Charlie is a happy chimp, full of energy, initially misunderstood and labelled ‘naughty’. The book highlights the difficulty children with ADHD face in class, when sitting still and listening for any length of time is so difficult. We love the explanation the teacher gave to Charlie and his friends when he was diagnosed with ADHD – ‘he was a bit like a bottle of fizzy drink, and every now and again he just needed to take the lid off and let the bubbles out!‘ Charlie’s teacher and teaching assistant provide Charlie with some excellent coping and learning strategies which result in Charlie enjoying school, and making some great friends too. Emma (An Elephant With Epilepsy) covers more visible conditions, and Emma’s embarrassment over her epilepsy is reflective of how many children with more obvious needs and disabilities may feel. Her classmates have been advised about epilepsy and know what to look for as early signs of an impending fit, and how to help on a practical level when Emma does have a fit. ‘They were very proud that they had been able to help her.’ Emma’s classmates emotional support and empathy is touching. This book really highlights the positive impact gained by childhood knowledge and understanding of specific conditions such as epilepsy.Ruth was a good student, the best reader in the class and loved astronomy. She was a good listener, a willing friend. They were studying about stars. The reason stars look so small in the night sky is because they’re so far away from us. Piper only has her father left now that her mother has passed away, and she learns how to make a family out of him. She learns to enjoy his company, because after all, he is her father, and he will always be there for her. Our hope at Shine is that our books can help to normalise a range of SEN (special educational needs) conditions within society. Shine Books w ere created primarily for 3-8 year olds, but there is no set age limit! We are passionate about taking away the stigma that often comes with them, and we believe that educating children from a young age in this area can have a positive impact on acceptance and understanding across society.​​​​’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment