276°
Posted 20 hours ago

DragonFjord A-Puzzle-A-Day: The Original Daily Calendar Puzzle with 365+ Challenges for Every Day of The Year

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I always had intentions of using it in my classroom with students, but I never actually made it happen. I say all this to say that I am not sure exactly who to credit with the invention of this puzzle. But if I had to guess, I would say that the puzzle originated in Europe.

If anyone knows who invented this puzzle, please let me know so I can update my blog post with the information! Ideas for Using in Class Begin by placing the larger pentominoes within the calendar grid, as they occupy more space and can significantly restrict the available options. This initial step helps you eliminate possibilities and makes it easier to visualize how the remaining polyominoes can fit into the grid. Consider the shape and orientation of the polyominoes Overall, if you’re looking for a fun and challenging way to count down to Christmas, the Bestbase Christmas Puppies Advent Calendar 2023 Jigsaw Puzzle is a great option. It’s well-made, challenging, and a great way to spend time with loved ones during the holiday season. What We Like This keeps me from having to pass out pentominoes or from students dropping pieces on their way to their desks. I ended up printing him off his own copy of the puzzle. It took a few minutes for him to understand the concept of the puzzle, but he did eventually catch on.Family Fun: Several customers have highlighted how this puzzle has become a cherished tradition, with families coming together to enjoy a piece of the puzzle each day in anticipation of Christmas. This version of the puzzle will use all six pieces, so the limited choices of puzzle pieces definitely increases the puzzle’s difficulty level. Source of Puzzle After students can solve each date using seven pentominoes, challenge them to do the entire challenge over again with one less pentomino piece to pull from . Puzzle Instructions Easier Version I continued down the rabbit hole of google and found that the puzzle is sold commercially in Germany under the name Pentomino-Kalender. The Poycuna Advent Calendar is a fun and unique way to count down to Christmas. Each day, you can open a box to reveal a section of the puzzle. The puzzle is challenging, but not impossible, and can be completed by puzzle enthusiasts of all skill levels. The high-quality cardboard and linen texture make the puzzle pieces easy to handle, and the matte finish helps to reduce glare. If you encounter any missing pieces, the manufacturer offers support to send you a replacement item.

Keep in mind the ultimate goal of revealing the current day, month, and weekday. Focus on positioning the polyominoes so that they do not obstruct these essential calendar elements. As you progress, try to maintain open spaces around the target date to ensure a valid solution. Use a trial-and-error approach So when I discovered a simpler version of a daily calendar puzzle that used plastic pentominoes that I already had in my classroom, I knew I had to try it out with my students. The completed puzzle size is 19.7 inches x 27.6 inches, making it a great decoration for your home during the holiday season.

In this version of the puzzle, you will always have one pentominio piece which you did not use in your solution. Challenging Version

I think this would make a great first day of school math activity. You could have each student try to solve for the current date or their birth date. Adapting the Puzzle for Younger Students So for a bit easier version of the puzzle, you could provided students with an entire set of 12 pentominoes pieces of which they have to choose five pieces to solve the daily puzzle. If you’re looking for a unique way to countdown to Christmas, the Stained Glass look nativity puzzle by Vermont Christmas Company might be just what you need. With 24 numbered boxes, each containing one section of the puzzle, you can assemble the pieces in the box numbered “1” on December 1 and continue with one box each day through December 24 to complete the puzzle just in time for Christmas. Daydoku is a captivating daily puzzle that combines calendar-based challenges with the strategic placement of polyominoes. The game features a calendar grid (comprising days, months, and weekdays) along with 10 distinct polyominoes (3 tetrominoes and 7 pentominoes). Each day, players must skillfully arrange all the polyominoes within the calendar grid in such a way that only the squares corresponding to the current day remain visible. Engage your problem-solving abilities and spatial reasoning skills as you discover multiple solutions to this intriguing and ever-changing daily calendar puzzle. Strategies and Techniques This puzzle uses part of a standard set of 12 pentominoes. I use plastic pentominoes in my classroom that are made out of one-inch squares.

Polyominoes can be rotated and reflected to find the best possible position within the calendar grid. Carefully examine the shape of each polyomino and consider all possible orientations before placing it on the grid. This flexibility allows for creative solutions and increases the likelihood of discovering multiple valid configurations. Work around the current date The puzzle is made of high-quality cardboard, making it durable and resistant to bending and fading. The material of the puzzle pieces is also important to consider. Most advent calendar jigsaw puzzles are made of cardboard, but some may be made of wood or other materials. Consider the durability of the material and how it will hold up over time. Size

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment