276°
Posted 20 hours ago

House in the Cerulean Sea, The

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is also Klune writing in this particular moment in time - of growing stress, hate, fear polarisation and evil on the part of those in power. But I came across something known as the Sixties Scoop, which was in Canada during the fifties and sixties, where indigenous children were taken from their homes and put into government sanctioned orphanages, for lack of a better word. His direct manager and supervisor spend their time mocking him and his colleagues have no respect for him, considering him a joke even though they are all the same cogs. These children are different and, therefore, for some reason, must be treated as outcasts by those who are considered normal.

My taste aside, it just doesn't seem like something that could get so popular, and be so universally loved. What I mean by this was that for all the neat or quirky ideas in the book there was little to no exploration of them. I read this in one sitting (I do read quickly) when I was unwell and it totally cheered me up - a fantastic tale of love in all its forms and how difference doesn't need to be something to be afraid of. He will spend one month in the island and he will not examine the well beings of the children but he will also investigate the master Arthur Parnassus and the way of doing his job.The House in the Cerulean Sea is a love letter to those who should be allowed to feel small and cared for when the world seems dark. I love that TJ Klune has developed these characters really well and given them characteristics that we as readers can relate to. There was no clash in the story and the big decision the main character makes to change his life is painfully telegraphed by the cliched nature of the story up to that point.

The House In The Cerulean Sea is not a novel I would normally read as I often struggle with books in the fantasy genre. Why, in God's name, is he not being monitored 24/7 or perpetually doused in holy water if he really is a threat to bring about the end of the world? Initially, it’s obvious that Linus feels like a fish out of water, floundering and desperate for oxygen. The love that grew between Linus and Arthur was a beautifully written sub-plot that was subtle, yet vital and they were simply perfect. The good guys were clearly just and right, the antagonists (which I suppose could be the system instead of individuals) were very passive and absent in the story.Never quite clear what the difference is between the two — at one point the narrative mentions bars on the windows at schools, but then, it sounds like that’s the case at some of the orphanages, too. It’s a lovely lens to tell the story through, and I am so glad that Klune decided to tell it this way. It was dry and sarcastic and witty, poking gentle fun at work and bureaucracy and taking things too seriously. I can’t tell you how much I relish stories that don’t believe that blood makes a family, but that kin is the circle you create, hands held tight.

But I actually had a good time reading this, and it actually served as a good palate cleaner between the more dense books than I am used to. As a Case Worker, Linus is sent to the Marsyas Island Orphanage, and has to set aside his fears to determine whether or not the Orphanage should remain open. I think these days more than ever, with a pandemic ravaging every corner of the world, I understand more keenly how absolutely necessary it is to find the escape hatch in reality, to seek out a pleasant corner and while away the hours inside a story.The characterizations of the various children were well-written and I felt sympathy for all of them. even had i not been informed of the at-least-partial inspiration behind this, there's no way this would have been higher than a 3 star read to me.

The story itself is eminently charming and while it is very clear with its message of tolerance, it's a message that really deserves to be heard. Klune’s tale is, for sure, a fantastical one, filled with lovable magical children and endearing magical creatures.An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place – and realizing that family could be yours. Now that I’ve read The House in the Cerulean Sea I can’t believe it took me so long to read it, but I’m so glad this story was my first novel of 2021. The main character, Linus Baker, works for the department that is apparently in charge of taking magical children from their parents and imprisoning them in orphanages or schools.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment