276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Possession: A Romance

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A marvellously layered book and a masterclass in ventriloquism: I don’t think I’ve ever read a book so full of alternative voices, all pulled off so perfectly – from a contemporary 3rd person narrative, to the poetry of two quite different authors, to letters written by three individuals (four if you include a suicide note), and journals penned by two separate women; even a pastiche of academic feminist criticism from the 80s which is hilarious.

And, as the cover proclaims, it is a romance--a set of entwined love stories written with impossible precision and believability. Did you not find it as strange as I did, that we should so immediately understand each other so well? Ash's marriage is revealed to have been unconsummated, although he loved and remained devoted to his wife. This may seem petty, but I was so swamped by how many and how often they cropped up that I want a list for future reference. The clock ticked, motes of dust danced in sunlight, Roland meditated on the tiresome and bewitching endlessness of the quest for knowledge.

Ash liked his characters at or over the edge of madness, constructing systems of belief and survival from the fragments of experience available to them.

She speaks in tongues of fire and torrents of poems spring from the briny seas of her feral imagination.Alongside the different voices are various tones: the brash academic comedy of Cropper waving his American cheque book around as he negotiates small English country lanes in his unwieldy Mercedes; the more affectionate humour associated with Leonora Stern and her 80s feminist-theoretical readings; and the sad archivist Beatrice Nest who has been working on an edited edition for the previous twenty-five years and has nothing much to show for it. Different read as I saw the parallels between the Victorian p,it and the modern plot far more clearly.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment