276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Past Caring

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have something to tell you. It is a life and death matter and it concerns the central question of your life that you have spent years slowly destroying yourself over. Also, this involves the Prime Minister and his family and I think someone is following me."

Robert Goddard (novelist) - Wikipedia Robert Goddard (novelist) - Wikipedia

Edwin’s memoir covers his time as a politician and his experiences of the women’s suffrage movement. I found this to be very interesting reading, though as it’s a time of history I don’t know much about I couldn’t comment on it’s historical accuracy. A wonderful read …the satisfying climax weaves together the strands of past and present.…A poised telling of a complex tale.” Publishers Weekly Into the Blue (May 1990), ISBN 0-593-01808-7. (Harry Barnett, Book 1) (adapted as a TV film in 1996 starring John Thaw) One of the rare books that gave me 'book daze' for several hours after it ended. A masterpiece of its kind - and an author who can seamlessly weave Hardy's poetry and Jacobean tragedy allusions into a brisk narrative without the blessedly unencumbered (and wiser for it) ignorati noticing a thing. Such a light touch you immediately trust the writer and allow a few suspensions of disbelief. Perhaps for me, that's my sign of a great book or a great 'read'. I'm forgiving and trustful and allow myself to be swept away rather than antagonistic and 'demanding' to be won over.Tim Harding, the hero of this smoothly plotted novel of suspense from British author Goddard (Play to the End So, for the first half of the book one is continually wondering what revelation could possible cause her (and Asquith) to behave in the way they did, and for the second half one is incredulous at the frankly bizarre and insipid behaviour of two people supposedly deeply in love. Strafford left an unpublished memoir which is much of the novel’s first half. The more Martin reads, the more invested he becomes in his subject. He uncovers an intricate far-reaching web of intrigue, including his present-day connection to events started decades before. He becomes friends with Edwin’s intended, Elizabeth and together they try to right the wrongs of the past, the stakes of which are higher than either could’ve imagined. This breathless and unending case takes Max to London from far North of Scotland and all the way to Paris, where the world’s government are still but bartering over the spoils right in the aftermath of the Great war. The stakes here are so high and it is a matter of life and death to everyone involved.

Robert Goddard Books | Waterstones Robert Goddard Books | Waterstones

I’ve read Robert Goddard’s Long Time Coming which I also recommend. I am looking forward to reading more of his entertaining and thought-provoking novels.

Browse reviews by Magazine.

Thirdly, it is similarly inconceivable that Elizabeth would not have told Edwin. When first told herself, her initial reaction would have been one of utter disbelief - evidence notwithstanding. She would have been quite desperate to get to the truth of the matter. She would have gone through as many scenarios as she could imagine that would have exonerated her intended.

PAST CARING one of the most gripping thrillers you’ll ever read

Combines the expert suspense manipulation skills of a Daphne DuMaurier romance with those of a John Le Carre thriller.” New York Times Robert Goddard is a true master storyteller. His normal format is to alternate between present day and past events which are interminably linked in some dark and mysterious way. This time he chose early 20th Century to set the scene. Famous politicians such as Lloyd George, Asquith, Churchill are in the story, brought to life by Goddard. British writer Goddard has achieved a steady readership here with his atmospheric novels (Into the Blue; Beyond Recall) in which characters unravel a mystery in their pasts. Photography illuminates Continue reading » I have just finished reading all Robert Goddard books except the last three that were published I thought they were all brilliant and really enjoyed reading them second time round Condition: Near Fine. A first edition, first printing published by Hale in 1986. A near fine book without inscription in a very good unclipped wrapper with one small closed tear to the top corner of the front panel A lovely copy.

Browse articles by Author

The spring of 1977 found me, newly past thirty, a bad case of wasted talent in a largely waste city -- an unemployed, divorced ex-schollteacher of foundered promise and dismal prospect. J. Kingston Pierce (28 April 2011). "The Rap Sheet: Matching Edgars with Authors". Therapsheet.blogspot.com . Retrieved 1 March 2012. Goddard's 1990 book Into the Blue was the inaugural winner of the W H Smith Thumping Good Read Award, presented to the best new fiction author of the year.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment