276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Marriage Act: The unmissable speculative thriller from the author of The One

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Story: The Sanctity of Marriage Act is enacted in Britain at some unidentified year in the future. It’s not just relationships that are futuristic, cars are of course self driving (which links back to the author’s earlier book, similarly with references to DNA matching). The novel follows the progress of several couples who may or may not have signed the marriage act in this multilayered plot which presents a nightmarish, frightful vision of a possible future where power over an individual seems absolute. I wouldn’t persuade you not to pick up this book, I think lots will have fun with it, love it, like it, find it thoughtful, IF you’ve not read the other book I mentioned. I listened to The Marriage Act on audio after seeing so many rave reviews for Marrs’ back catalogue on a psychological thriller group on Facebook.

When offered the chance to take part in the tour and review The Marriage Act, I didn’t hesitate – this just looked so good and I loved the high concept thriller aspect.

The One introduced the concept of DNA dictation soulmates, and this concept obviously play a large role in laying the foundation for this one. This heart-pounding psychological thriller from British author Marrs (The Minders) takes a deep dive into the mind of a serial killer. It's not so much about relationships, but about how constant monitoring impacts individuals on every level and as a society. We follow multiple characters, from both sides of the argument and see how their choices control their lives.

view spoiler) [Hi John , our book club in Perth , Australia will be discussing your book " What lies between us" next week and a few of us are of different opinions of whether or not Nina was abused by her father. I almost felt like I needed a chart to keep them all straight, but after a bit I got the hang of it. I think this is what makes The Marriage Act an utterly compelling read, it is only just a touch off the truth.John Marrs’ books are all standalones and fit within the genres of pyschological thrillers or speculative fiction. Well, I dare say if you don’t mind the presence of Audite which monitors and listens in 24/7, registering any marital problems and then sending in a relationship responder, then there isn’t one. Where you can have access to better health insurance, better schools for your children, better houses and better jobs. It has matched countless couples and it has broken up the relationships of others, who wanted to pursue their TRUE match. eventhough I found that John Marrs did take the reader as a fool for not understanding where things were leading at times and some things over the top.

I have to admit-there are very FEW likable characters, and one counselor (Jeffrey) who I absolutely detested, so I found the premise more intriguing than the relationships being monitored. the realistic dystopian near-future that he is always able to create is so unsettling and fascinating, all at the same time.A book set in the same world as The One, The Passengers, and The Minders, this book features the intriguing concept of The Marriage Act, which gives financial and other perks to those married couples who agree to upgrade to a "Smart Marriage" have an Audite (smart monitor, think Echo Dot) installed in their home. I thought that the first half of the book was excellent, but the second half felt rushed and it was a bit over the top.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment