276°
Posted 20 hours ago

1800 Tequila Silver 100% Agave 70 cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It would take some time for the Cuervo family to embrace their distilling calling, but by 1880 the family had started commercially producing their spirits for sale. Known originally as “mezcal de Tequila” (mezcal from the town of Tequila), the Mexican government eventually — after much lobbying — allowed them to designate their spirits as a unique appellation known simply as “tequila.” The very first bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila rolled off the line in 1906 and a massive new category of distilled spirits was born. Silver is 100% blue Weber agave, so don't worry, you're in good hands. Although agave is a spikey plant, it certainly creates smooth beverages. Mexico has the perfect climate for the species to flourish. Agave plants respond the best to lots of sun and rain and require loose soil for their root system to grow horizontally. In Jalisco's lowlands, the soil is enriched by lava from the nearby Colima Volcano Complex, which consists of three volcanos — two of which are active. Volcanic soil is fertile because it's infused with nutrients from lava and ash. My education and training include a thorough knowledge of agave spirits creation from planting agaves to bottling, including distillation. In fact, tequila is more popular than you might think. According to BevAlc Insights, tequila has been steadily growing in popularity since 2020 and has even replaced whiskey as the second-highest-selling spirit. It's not only leading "premiumization," but is on pace to become the most valuable liquor category in the U.S. in 2023, according to the article. Since its release, 1800 Tequila has not only shaken up the tequila world, it's amassed numerous awards as well. In the 2021 New York International Spirits Competition, for example, 1800 Silver was awarded a silver medal. The brand's reposado also took home silver, and if that isn't proof of the brand's quality, its añejo won a coveted gold medal. Most recently, it won a silver medal in the 2023 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Its flavor profile and reasonable price point make it suitable for both traditional and flavored Margaritas, such as Mangoritas. Jose Cuervo quite literally set the standard for tequila, and 1800 follows that same process. The spirit starts out with a crop of 100% blue agave plants which are harvested and have their leaves sliced off, leaving the hard core behind. That core is then cooked for about three days in an oven to convert the plant material into sugar, and then placed into large vats to ferment and allow yeast to convert that sugar into alcohol. Silver Tequila is as premium as tequila gets. Deviating away from traditional distillation methods, this expression is not aged but instead rested for only 15 days in American oak barrels. An ample amount of time for it to form its stunning silvery hue and rich body of flavour.

Silver is an excellent choice for a Blanco Tequila shot for two key reasons: its affordability and being made entirely from agave. Joven is a blend of aged and unaged tequila. It carries a mild taste of vanilla with spicy notes that are balanced with fruity accents. Reposado is aged in oak or white oak barrels for at least two months, giving it a complex yet subtle woodsy flavor. Premium brands will age tequila for up to 11 years. Añejo is aged for one year at minimum, and it carries a more robust flavor of French or white oak barrels. Despite its full-bodied flavor, it has a smoother taste than blanco, joven, and reposado. While it may not be a standout Tequila that will impress the most discerning aficionados or win prestigious awards, it provides a decent drinking experience. In 1758, Don José Antonio de Cuervo was granted a plot of land in the (soon to be Mexican) town of Tequila. Here, he would build a farm with his family where they would cultivate the blue agave plant that was native to the area and, in 1795, the family distilled and produced their first bottle of mezcal (side note for those who don’t quite understand the differentiation: scotch is to whiskey as tequila is to mezcal).

My journey has seen me as an owner of sophisticated bars and renowned liquor shops, and even as a Mezcal distiller, honing the craft from scratch.In the United States, Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia, 1800 Silver is bottled at 80 proof (40% ABV). However, in Mexico, it is bottled at 76 proof (38% ABV) due to tax reasons. So often I find that when reviewing whiskey, ice is the enemy. The only flavors in whiskey that survive are typically the results of the aging process. But with this tequila everything survives through the ice — all of the aromas, all of the flavors… they are still there and in full force. While higher-end sipping Tequilas like Don Julio Blanco or Patron Silver may be in a different league, 1800 Silver offers good value in its mid-range category. Alcohol content

The tequila that we enjoy today is a far cry from the kombucha-like taste of pulque — and way stronger. Honoring the legacy of their forefathers, 1800 Tequila chose a trapezoidal-shaped bottle that's reminiscent of Mexico's Mayan pyramids. Existing as early as 2000 B.C., the Maya were industrious people that constructed massive temple pyramids that still stand to this day. The pyramids were made of step-like platforms — a feat of genius at a time when modern machinery didn't exist. The folks at 1800 have been brewing tequila for over 200 years… we think that’s just enough time to formulate the perfect tequila right? Limited run, in bottle made of Belgian crystal with pewter trim in a suede and leather case, an extra añejo tequila aged over three years in charcoal French Oak barrels [11] [12]

I like that I can really see the contents of the bottle, and that it isn’t obscured or masked. Especially with something this clear and pure, being able to see the spirit through the glass is something I appreciate. So, for me, the use of clear glass and minimalist labeling is a huge plus. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or just dipping your toes into this world, I invite you to join me as we explore the fascinating realm of these legendary spirits. If you’re looking for alternatives to 1800 Silver, consider Altos Plata, Espolon Blanco, Jose Cuervo Tradicional Silver, or Gran Centenario Plata. There isn’t really a whole lot that you expect from a blanco tequila. By definition, it’s pretty much just fermented and distilled agave juice without much additional processing, so you are getting the very essence of that spirit. And with the 1800 Silver I especially don’t really get any of the flavors you might expect from the brief stay in the oak barrels. Remember, spending a lot on Tequila isn’t necessary for a good Margarita—the right taste and punch are what matter most. Is 1800 Silver good for shots?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment