276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Client Centred Therapy: Its Current Practice, Implications and Theory

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is what eventually leads to the easing of tensions that grew from inconsistencies in experience and self-concept. I think a *casual* reader would probably prefer to start with his other work, but anyone learning about or working in PCT itself really needs to read and understand this psychological classic.

I am glad that I persevered and finished it and I will be reading more of his work, but perhaps in smaller chunks at a time. It took me a while to get through, not because I found it difficult or boring, but because it was thought-provoking and challenging.

Zen of course claims to also not be wholly transmitted through words but I would at least approximate it to experiencing experience. This book is a mature presentation of the non-directive and related points of view in counselling and therapy.

Client-Centred Therapy crystallises the great progress that has been made in the development the techniques and basic philogopy of counselling. Essential reading for me right now, I love Carl Rogers but am feeling a little bogged down by his language in this book. For Rogers, the warm attitude of the practitioner for the client, the love (if he dares to go that deep) is felt by the client, and that love assists the client in the scary process of exploring his inner depths.Personally, I found this the "easiest" of Dr Rogers' own works to read - however, bear in mind that other people respond quite differently!

As this process continues, we carve a model of reality that becomes more and more refined, more and more accurate. C]lient-centered therapy, with the intense focusing upon self which it involves, has as its end result, not more self-consciousness, but less.That being said, there are some areas where the reader can apprehend that vagaries will be rife and grasping difficult. One might say that there is less self-consciousness and more self…That the self functions smoothly in experience, rather than being an object of introspection. Presenting the non-directive and related points of view in counselling and therapy, this book defines the progress recently made in the development of the techniques and basic philosophy of counselling. I also feel like the chapter, "A Theory of Personality and Behavior," provided me with a new way of viewing personality that I connected with and will continue to refer back to in future study. Where other schools of psychology had a flavor of armchair philosophy, Rogers meticulously studied transcripts of his therapy sessions, trying to identify what worked and what didn't.

An example would be when someone has convinced himself of being a genius, yet fails to get decent grades at school.

It is not just a formulation of a theory, but (following indications of the full title) is an overview of practice and application of client-centered therapy overall. Maybe this approximation is only my own but I found Rogers' view to be similar to that of Zen Buddhism.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment