276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Missing Pieces: The gripping and unputdownable Sunday Times bestseller 2021

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dr Rebekah Murphy went to Crow Island with her brother Johnny as he wanted to meet a researcher. She is now stranded there, having missed the last ferry before it stopped for winter, and Johnny has disappeared. As she fights to survive her big question is why. Her brother - Johnny wants to be a historical writer and has made an appointment on "Crow Island" to meet a local historian and asks "Bek" to go with him. At first she is apprehensive about leaving her two daughters for the day and then decides that it may be good to get away from everything for the day and agrees to go with Johnny. On the night Tom Brenner and his nine-year-old son Leo visit the Seven Peaks theme park, they head straight for the ghost house. They go in. But they don't come out. I’m a big Tim Weaver fan and have been eager to dive into his first standalone novel for a while. Now that I’ve read it, I can say it was certainly worth the wait. I would not label this my favourite Tim Weaver read, but it is certainly well worth grabbing. The story is set in two timelines. The time before and what led her up to her present predicament. And Detective Frank Travis who is dealing with cold cases which involves searching for Rebekah and her brother Johnny.

Missing Pieces by Tim Weaver - Fantastic Fiction Missing Pieces by Tim Weaver - Fantastic Fiction

Louise Mason, Johnny's ex girlfriend disappeared without a trace just before Johnny and "Bek' go to Crow Island. Johnny is the main suspect of her disappearance, so when they then both go missing detective Frank Travis is assigned to the case, but he is due to retire within the next week. He wants to solve the case before he retires and he knows that he is Louise’s only hope of being found alive or dead. Despite the above wonderful writing, too much passive writing, switching between characters and scenes with no section breaks to help the reader orient themselves, and constant telling what has been shown in dialogue (eg: 'If you ever got caught with me ...' He faded out-time and again, the writer acts as though the elipses don't get the message across and tells us, unnecessarily, that the speaker 'faded out'. A small enough thing done once or twice, but the whole way through the book gets a bit much. Also, some actions I just couldn't understand, and taken together, all of this put me off the read somewhat. An outstanding book, absolutely superb. The solution reminded me of a Russian Doll, where you take one apart to find another one still to be opened' 5***** Reader Review Rebekah and Jonny arrive on Crow Island but everything is closed and people are leaving the island. They realise that Crow island will be totally shut down after the last ferry leaves. Johnny thought it was the next day when it would close up. So they hurry to meet Stelzik. When they find him something is not right and they are thrown into a nightmare. Someone wants Rebekah dead and will stop at nothing to kill her! At this point she discovers that the last ferry to the island for the winter was on 30th October, not 31st October as Johnny had mentioned. You never find out why Johnny lied about this and you never find out whose grave it was under the roots of the tree that they saw when they found the historians body.The then lets us know Rebekah's current relationship, stressors, family life, the now is her trying to survive on a deserted island, harsh elements, loneliness. There are twists, timeline jumps, little nuggets *missing pieces* of information as you delve further into the story. Someone is trying to kill Rebekah Murphy because she knows a secret but doesn’t know what it is. She i Tim Weaver is a master of the crime genre. You'll be gripped by the intricate plotting and whiplash- inducing twists. I couldn't look away' GILLY MACMILLAN Rebekah decides to join her older brother Johnny on a trip to the remote and uninhabited Crow Island, only to find themselves being hunted. She has no idea why anyone would want to kill them, and with Johnny missing, Rebekah struggles to cope. All across the USA, people are showing up dead. The deaths don't appear to be connected in any way until one particular death occurs and gets the Secretary of Defense's attention. He arranges for a task force to investigate.

Missing Pieces - Penguin Books UK

Meanwhile Detective Frank Travis is looking for missing Louise Mason who disappeared three months ago without trace. Frank is due to retire next week and knows that he is Louise’s only hope of being found. Are these two cases connected and will Frank be able to solve them before it is too late.

Publication Order of Standalone Novels

When Rebekah Murphy was three, her mother walked out and never returned. Nearly four decades on, Fiona Murphy is still missing. Until a letter arrives in the post, claiming to be from Fiona. I liked main character, and she came alive for me. The setting and description were done well too. Here are some lines I loved: Rebekah is running, running for her life, she is hurt - she is desperate and other than that we don't really know what is going on, that is the opening chapter. We flip to the before and learn about Rebekah, her life and what takes her eventually to the Island, where she is now present day. The chapters flip between Rebekah trying to survive and then, the past as we run up to the present. Someone wants Rebekah dead, she is stranded on an Island alone and can't imagine why anyone would want to hurt her let alone kill her. Rebekah wasn't alone when she arrived so where is her brother and where is the person she is running from?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment