276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Forgotten Garden

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Forgotten Garden" was my first book by Kate Morton, and I think it's going to be my last as well. That's because I have a feeling that once you've read one of her books, you know what her stories and her writing style is like. It's not bad at all, but it's reminiscent of so many other authors and books I've read which seem predictable and bland to me and don't really leave that much of an impression. Her reluctant helpmate in the garden is Harper, a teenager whose own life is in disarray. As the three work together, bonds are formed and plans are made – but will any of them come to fruition in the newly discovered garden?

Morton whisks the reader into scene after vivid scene, sometimes frightening us, often perplexing us, and always providing us with a great deal of entertainment.’ — Star Telegram (Fort Worth, TX) Bonus: Frances Hodgson Burnett, author of the beloved book, "The Secret Garden," makes a cameo appearance. and experience goes into seed choice. We save as much of our own seed as possible, which means you can grow vast amounts, select colours and form and it has adapted to the conditions of the field and Cassandra learns that the secret garden is where Adeline buried Eliza, under the tree that Eliza and Rose planted. Update this section!I have to say, I was quite surprised at some of the dark themes that played a part. This especially concerns the ending, I really didn't expect this revelation. It was (surprisingly) fitting though, and I'm glad the author didn't shy away from going down this route. Some of Eliza's stories find their way into the text of this book, and their symbolism and autobiographical qualities help to unravel the mystery of Eliza's life and how it connects to Nell's and Cassandra's. Toward the end I was able to guess the main mysteries of the book, but at least they didn't come out of left field. A foundling, a book of dark fairytales, a secret garden, an aristocratic family, a love denied — are all elements pulled together to build a tale that is compulsively readable.’ — Good Reading I really enjoyed it. Gosling is a very competent writer, which is always reassuring, I think. It's so nice to read something by someone who knows what they're doing.

Morton excels at creating absorbing mystery. This tale, like the maze in the garden of the title, is a fine place to lose yourself.’ — People (****) Cassandra is in the current time and she has lived with her grandmother, Nell since she was little. Cassandra's mom wasn't a good woman. Then I didn't read on. I didn't read on because this book is based on an idiot, and I have a short fuse when it comes to idiots. Let's just say that I don't suffer them lightly.

Kate Morton

I would give this book a 10 if I could. Loved it...absolutely amazing....the writing is a masterpiece.

The book centers on a young Australian woman named Cassandra (along with her grandmother, Nell O’Connor) whose life is turned upside down when she learns that they adopted her. She learns that they found her grandmother Nell alone on a wharf holding a suitcase and a book of fairytales. These are her only clues to her real identity. Cassandra learns that Nell had a secret house on England, and her curiosity urges her to move to find more about Nell. A lovely story with a strong plot. Young widow Luisa is a skilled landscape gardener, but tragedy has caused her to lose faith in her own talent and dreams. Now she has the chance to work on an ambition she and late husband Reuben long cherished – to build a community garden, from old factory land. For one thing, this book should have been half its length - so many and not particularly beautiful descriptions, detailed rendering of unimportant gestures and unnecessary talk. And the secrets were not really secrets, I could glimpse at several possibilities, one of which turned out to be true in the end. If the mystery were deeper, the writing more alert, it would have made a perfect easy read. I made sure to be a fast read though, as I couldn't waste too much time with this book, seeing that it didn't please me the way a good book should.

More from The Author

A beautiful and heartwarming new story of secret passions, tragedy and a long-ago romance’ Lancashire Post Its another one of those books --where you'd love to see the move come out. (knowing of course that the book will be better) ---but at least we get to be part of this story again).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment