276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Japanese Kimono Gift Wrapping Papers: 18 x 24 inch (45 x 61 cm) Wrapping Paper

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As I try new zero-waste substitutions, I appreciate the things I use more. I’m more hesitant about buying things I don’t need or will throw away. My individual choices may not save the planet, but for there to be enough pressure on governments to legislate reductions in carbon emissions, and companies to reduce their output, it will take massive cultural change that everyone contributes to. To start furoshiki gift wrapping, first choose a cloth with a diagonal length about three times the length of the gift. It needn’t be exact. This Japanese wrapping proportion technique gives you just enough cloth to cover the gift without much extra flop on the sides. Many fabric sizes are available for this important cultural ritual, from a few inches in length and width to a few feet. However, two main sizes are typically used in furoshiki fabric wrapping: 17 x 17 inches and 28 x 28 inches.

Or, head to your local fabric shop and buy some gorgeous fabric—even lovely Liberty floral prints, if you’re feeling fancy—and turn it into your own DIY wrap. While the fabric originally used in furoshiki and also bojagi—the Korean cloth wrapping tradition— can represent a lot of labour to manufacture, the spirit of both is to use what you have and respect the workmanship and usefulness of fabric. I tried it out—here’s how. 1. Get a big square cloth Yuzen Washi also known as Japanese Chiyogami Paper is a type of traditional Japanese decorative paper. Its beautiful and vibrant patterns are inspired by nature throughout the seasons and have their roots in Kimono patterns. Its ability to be thin yet long lasting is achieved by mixing long fibres, making it a more durable alternative to standard wrapping paper, whilst still maintaining flexibility and a soft touch. It is often used as a crafting material, bookbinding, endpapers, parts of the home interior like origami modules, box making, collage, wedding party invitations and a variety of other art forms around the world. Like yuzen dyeing, it’s a technique that allows for the use of multiple separate colours on the same cloth. This produces intricate patterns or scenes that appear to be hand-painted. Zero-waste cloth wrapping todayI laid my scarf flat on a large table, diagonally, and positioned the gift in the centre. The square’s pointed edge was facing me. I tried to think of the long ends as handles tied up at the top of the gift. It’s a bit like beginner’s origami, or neatly wrapping a book in paper. If you are feeling a little blue about the carnival of wrapping paper discarded over the holidays, or bothered with all the fussiness of paper wrapping, furoshiki gift wrapping is a lovely alternative. You may even find yourself thinking of other furoshiki or bojagi-style uses for cloth around the house, as Canada moves away from single-use plastics. It’s nice when “being good” environmentally is so simple; an ecological alternative can be a joy in itself. And you won’t hear any tape rolls squeaking.

Continue reading to learn about the art of furoshiki cloth wrapping, a beautiful gift-wrapping style (and cloth) in Japanese culture and Japanese art. How to Wrap Your Gifts Furoshiki Style Furoshiki were originally used to carry clothes, towels and belongings to and from the bathhouse. It allowed you to keep everything wrapped up, clean and separate from others’ belongings. Furoshiki showed off innovative fabric production techniques that were also used in silk kimono. Olsen+Olsen sell made-in-Canada furoshiki cloths in both 50-cm and 90-cm squares, so you can wrap small and and large gifts in a variety of styles and colours—including this gorgeous reversible number. Many people compare origami and furoshiki as they share multiple similarities. However, they are different, as furoshiki is primarily used in Japanese gift wrapping now. In comparison, origami has shifted from its initial purpose as Japanese paper wrapping for religious or ceremonial events to purely decorative purposes. Yuzen Washi also known as Japanese Chiyogami Paper is a type of traditional Japanese decorative paper. Its beautiful and vibrant patterns are inspired by nature throughout the seasons and have their roots in Kimono patterns. Its ability to be thin yet long lasting is achieved by mixing long fibres, making it a more durable alternative to standard wrapping paper, whilst still maintaining flexibility and a soft touch. It is often used as a crafting material, bookbinding, endpapers, parts of the home interior like origami modules, box making, collage, wedding party invitations and a variety of other art forms around the world.

Furoshiki Wrapping Cloths We Love

Folding isn’t as important as making sure the gift is actually secure. 3. Narrow the sides that will be tied up Multiple methods exist for wrapping a square object; this gift wrapping technique is called otsukai tsutsumi. It is a basic way of wrapping that you can use for everyday items or bento boxes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment