276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It took me a while to finish this one because it’s a textbook, more than anything, and on an average person’s shelf, serves more as a reference book or a survey of occultism, witchcraft, or alternative spiritual practices from around the world.

A History of Magic, Witchcraft, and the Occult - Goodreads

Special features on aspects of magic, such as oracle bones of ancient China, the Knights Templar, and magic at the movies, and "plants and potions", such as mandrake and belladonna examine topics in great detail. The heavy focus on presenting facts and information without a cohesive storytelling approach made it challenging for me to engage with the content. I found myself craving a more immersive and engaging reading experience, which this book failed to provide. Like all DK books this has gorgeous illustrations and tries to cover a broad range of topics. As an introductory work, it is perfectly fine. But I have a number of problems with it as anything other than a rudimentary starting point.I also know that there is a discussion of other cultures. However, the Western idea of magic doesn’t exist in a lot of different cultures and representing it in a Magic book would be disrespectful of these cultures, and not respectful. She said this reversed a tendency in recent decades to “dismiss the study of magic and the occult”, with the idea that it is “no longer of importance to ‘modern people’”. Religion played a role in the story of Saito science and produce science, being a vital ingredient in magical thought by contributing to such thinking it also helped foster the early development of natural science. First, it is brutally Eurocentric. Almost all discussion of non-Western magic is restricted to the opening chapter on ancient magic, with a few asides on the Aztecs, Voodoo, and European reactions to magical traditions the "discovered." I know enough about East Asian religion to feel that this seriously neglects the ongoing development of ritual and folk magic in China, Korea, and Japan in favor of focusing heavily on European witch trials and hermetic traditions. I find those things interesting too, but there is much more to the world of magic. Using the methods of historical study, folklore, anthropology and psychology, we will discover why magic has haunted the human imagination so persistently, and how it continues to resonate even today.

magic and the occult British university offers master’s degree in magic and the occult

While sigils have existed for centuries, it was the influential British occultist and artist Austin Osman Spare who pioneered a method of creating sigils that is commonly used today. This involves writing out an intention, condensing the letters and arranging the remaining letters into an image. "He came up with this method of taking text and designing the text into this beautiful glyph or symbol that he then would kind of infuse through various magical techniques to try to make things happen," says Grossman. "Ever since then we've seen a lot of other artists get inspiration from him and infuse their artworks with sigils."

The perfect introduction to magic and the occult, it explores forms of divination from astrology and palmistry to the Tarot and runestones, mystical plants and potions such as mandrake, the presence of witchcraft in literature from Shakespeare’s Macbeth to the Harry Potter series, and the ways in which magic has interacted with religion. The multidisciplinary degree, which starts in September 2024, will draw on history, literature, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, psychology, drama and religion to show the role of magic on the west and the east.

A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult : DK : Free A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult : DK : Free

A History of Magic, Witchcraft, and the Occult charts the extraordinary narrative of one of the most interesting and often controversial subjects in the world--from ancient animal worship and shamanism, through alchemy and divination to modern Wicca and the resurgence of the occult in 21st-century literature, movies, and television. The library’s modern collections, much of which is on open access, are also rich in reprinted primary gothic and supernatural literature, many secondary works on the themes, and also first editions from the latter half of the 19 thcentury onwards. Writers featured include Arthur Machen, Olivia Howard Dunbar and Lord Dunsany. Adam Scovell’s Folk Horror: Hours Dreadful and Things Strange (2017) is a key text, focussing primarily on film but with literary relevance, while collections published by Tartarus Press and Swan River Press provide both reprints and new literary voices. A recent re-igniting of literary small and independent press publishing is represented by zine-like publications Hellebore, Fiddler’s Green, Weird Walk, Ignota Books’s Spells: 21 st-Century Occult Poetry (2018) and Camp Books’s poster Sigils For Queers (2019). Students will have the option to take modules on dragons in western literature and art, the legend of King Arthur, palaeography, Islamic thought, archaeological theory and practice, the depiction of women in the middle ages, the book in medieval and early modern Europe, gender, society and culture in early modern Europe and the philosophy of psychedelics. Unusual postgraduate coursesIt is possible to enrol on many of our adult education coursesafter the course has already started. For non-language courses this is subject entirely to agreement by the tutor. For language courses it is subject to agreement by the language coordinator conducting level assessment. If you want to join a course late do bear in mind there might be work you will need to catch up on, particularly in language courses. Alumni of Imperial College and predecessor colleges and institutes, including City & Guilds College Association members There are a lot of excellent photographs and good use is made of box text diving into specific practices and practitioners that needed a bit more coverage.

of magic and witchcraft fascinate us - BBC Why the secret symbols of magic and witchcraft fascinate us - BBC

In addition to the Library collection, the Harry Price Archive includes his working papers and correspondence, manuscripts, photographs, scrapbooks, film shot by Price, artwork and objects. Much of the archive documents his work in psychical research with files on some of his most famous investigations such as spirit photography, Borley Rectory, the mediumships of the Schneider Brothers and Helen Duncan and Gef, the talking mongoose. Asimismo, nos aporta información extra con un sinfín de imágenes que apoyan el texto y amplían el conocimiento. Y si en algún momento sientes que quieres profundizar más en algún tema del que se habla en el libro, no te preocupes, el propio libro te aporta una gran cantidad de bibliografía a la que puedes acudir para aprender y profundizar más. A History of Magic, Witchcraft, and the Occult" failed to meet my expectations and left me disappointed. While the book boasts visually appealing illustrations, the writing style falls short in capturing my interest. Rather than presenting a compelling historical narrative, it reads more like a dry and academic document. Special features on aspects of magic, such as oracle bones of ancient China, the Knights Templar, and magic at the movies, and “plants and potions”, such as mandrake and belladonna examine topics in great detail.A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult charts the extraordinary narrative of one of the most interesting and often controversial subjects in the world - from ancient animal worship and shamanism, through alchemy and divination to modern Wicca and the resurgence of the occult in 21st-century literature, cinema, and television. It says it will equip students with skills including creative thinking, analytical thinking, curiosity and lifelong learning. The course will combine traditional western academic methodologies and more alternative approaches, with students able to complete their dissertation through a performance work.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment