276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Moana (Little Golden Books)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Could this all be a very long drawn out and clever marketing ploy to in fact promote this new Hawaiian resort alongside the movie? Thought to be set within Samoa, the story of Moana centres around a female Pacific Islander (the first central Disney character to ever have this description) who wishes to explore the world by sea. We must also remember that teaching different ways of life and cultures to children can never be a bad thing. As for the story itself...I just absolutely adored it. I felt Moana's frustration, fear, hope, and daring. I was supremely irritated with Maui a few times, but then, at others, I almost CRIED. Y'all, he was really just looking for a little gratitude to feel like he was actually DOING something for humans, and he JUST WANTED SOME LOVE, BC WE ALL NEED LOOOOOVEEEE!!! /endcrazytirade

I believe it’s important to understand other people’s cultures. I love reading travel blogs, watching movies and documentaries about a place and scanning news articles to help me better understand all of the incredible cultures found in every corner of the globe.

We know that cultures across each of the Pacific i slands differ (as should be expected), but I’m really struggling to understand why there was such a heavy focus on this research, only for a Hawaiian actress to be cast and a Hawaiian Airlines partnership to be created. Her people believe the demi-God, Maui stole Te Fiti’s greenstone heart, which means that ocean life is dwindling all around them. If you’ve been keeping up with the news over the past year or so, you’ll know that the internet has been awash with many different views on the concept of Moana and whether it has been authentic and sympathetic to those cultures it was hoping to promote. This is so cute ahh!! I'm gonna give this book to my cousins! Can be used as a bedtime story, vocab lesson, and comprehension/cross-media analysis tool for kiddos in ELAR classes.

It’s very clear to anyone watching the movie that these core values have been tied closely to the narrative.Moana and Maui said goodbye. Their journey together was complete. Maui transformed into a hawk and flew away. It was time for Moana to return to her people. The young girl from Motunui Island now knew exactly who she was meant to be. She was a daughter, a leader, and a way-finder. She was Moana. You may also like to read, Princess Aurora.

Art of Disney Animation • Castle of Magical Dreams • It's a Small World • Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana I’ve always been in awe of cultures that centre around faith and a deep respect for human life and nature. That‘ s just one of the reasons why I’ve always been fascinated by the Japanese culture, (and hope to visit one day), and why Hawaii stole my heart. Maui’s tattoos. They were personal and meaningful to HIM in the film’s context. HE gave island lands, better air and sky, produced greater quality sun and even provided the dietary staple of coconuts AS GIFTS TO HUMANITY: tattoos showing incredible personal feats of selflessness by the neglected hero missing his lost place in humanity. Trophies and somber memories. It’s very clear from marketing campaigns that Disney had partnered with Hawaiian Airlines to help promote the movie. In fact, this partnership even went so far as the airline producing three Moana-themed Airbuses! This is with the intention that the people from her hometown may then once again live off the land and the sea and sail beyond the barrier reef to discover new places.To be honest, I'm not sure what, exactly, I expected the writing quality to be, but it really was stellar. The story is told in chapter form, with legends from the past intermingled between a few of the chapters. The vocabulary was higher than expected, for sure (turns out, it's a level 6.0), as I rather thought at first that it would be watered down. Boy, was I wrong. Perhaps Disney should have settled on just one culture rather than trying to tie them in with one another? This was Disney’s attempt at countering any racist perceptions of the corporation, so surely it should have been an important project to get right? Many Polynesian cultures place importance on tattoos, considering them to be deeply meaningful as well as personal and a constant reminder of that person’s values and identity. It’s considered a taboo to wear markings of that which you are not spiritually or physically connected to.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment