276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fake Dates and Mooncakes: The Buzziest Queer YA of 2023

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Beeswax sets this cookie for targeting and advertising. The cookie is used to serve the user with relevant advertisements based on real time bidding.

We all know the story. No matter how convoluted the context, two people must pretend to date because of reasons, but one (or both) have very real feelings that they must suppress. Fake dating is one of my favorite tropes, which is why I was so excited for Fake Dates and Mooncakes. Sadly, while the premise sounded fantastic, I was a little disappointed in the execution. When books incorporate insight to the culture they are based on, sweetheart….I AM SIGNING! I LOVE that ish! And Sher does an incredible job of providing so much insight to the references in this book! I like books that are an experience. And this is just that! From learning phrases, baking mooncake steps, various aspects of the culture, this book is not only fantastic, but also meaningful! You can tell how much writing the story meant to Sher, as it just feels so personable and connective. This world and its culture, to which many of us don't have a ton of knowledge on, is so artfully dished thanks to Sher's fluid writing style. Overall, I really enjoyed Fake Dates and Mooncakes! The exploration into Chinese culture was wonderful, and while I was familiar with some of it already, there was still lots for me to learn!

This item contains adult content

Also, as a side note, I actually live in the area this is set in, and some of the things that happen are just not really possible, which kind of took me out of the narrative a bit. The perfect recipe of romance, riches, and really great food! Through family drama, will-they/won’t-they vibes, and one adorable corgi, Lee shows that true happiness comes from following your heart (and delicious mooncakes help, too!).”—Jason June, New York Times bestselling author of Out of the Blue and Jay’s Gay Agenda

This cookie, set by YouTube, registers a unique ID to store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen.And unfortunately, this book suffers from the dreaded “insta-love” trope, which in a romance is particularly disappointing. The thrill of a romance is the characters meeting, getting to know each other, developing feelings, realizing those feelings, communicating those feelings… Romances are all about the relationship, and building that relationship is a vital component.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment