276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Of Love and Other Demons

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Estos son sólo dos extractos de los tantos que posee el libro y que demuestran por qué Gabriel García Márquez, lo más maravilloso que nos regaló la literatura de Colombia y que a mí me sigue sorprendiendo con cada libro que leo de él. El obispo encargó a el padre Cayetano Delaura, que se hiciera cargo de los exorcismos de la niña, pero terminó obsesionado con ella y el obispo le retiró el cargo y lo mandó a cuidar leprosos. A pesar de eso, Sierva María y Cayetano se veían todas las noches a escondidas en el convento y se enamoraron locamente envueltos en un éxtasis indescriptible.

Which is why I was surprised that you came,' said the physician.'I am no more than hunted prey in the game preserve of the Holy Office.'The sun has always been the sigil of a pristine presence, a God,an indomitable focus of energy. The Bishop could see the eclipse through the smoked glass and said that wherever he looked he could still the see the eclipse. His faith in God was undoubted and his arguments supporting his faith were insurmountable. He always came up with the most cleverest and undeterred of arguments favouring his position. He had faith, he had focus, he closed one of his eyes and through the smoked glass could relish the sight of the Eclipse. He requested me to look at the eclipse but with focus and using only one of eyes as the eclipse will go away in a few hours. In my state of perpetual distraction I looked at the eclipse with both my eyes without using the smoked glass and ended up nearly burning my retinas in the process. I covered my afflicted eye with a dark patch. Another one of his novels, El amor en los tiempos del cólera (1985), or Love in the Time of Cholera, drew a large global audience as well. The work was partially based on his parents' courtship and was adapted into a 2007 film starring Javier Bardem. García Márquez wrote seven novels during his life, with additional titles that include El general en su laberinto (1989), or The General in His Labyrinth, and Del amor y otros demonios (1994), or Of Love and Other Demons.

The striking aspect is, for greater part of the novel, whether the protagonist, has actually contracted rabies or not, and the reason of her imbecility, is not disclosed. Es muy difícil hacer una reseña de este libro a pesar de su corta extensión, ya que el autor supo en pocas páginas plasmar una historia muy completa, bien narrada y con personajes sólidos e inolvidables. Simplemente increíble.

Of love and other demons”, written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (GGM), is a fictional story, constructed around a real event, when a skeleton of an adolescent female with long hair, is discovered from the crypts of a Convent (in Santa Clara). GGM, relates this incident with a legend told to him by his grandmother, about a 12-yr old girl, a miracle worker, believed to have contracted rabies, with her copper long hair continuing to grow post her death! It is a concise plot, a classic work of magical realism, where reality (the excavated skeleton) blends with imagination (the legend) 😊 In the prologue, García Márquez claims the novel is the fictional representation of a legend the author was told by his grandmother when he was a boy: of a 12-year-old marquise with long flowing hair who had died of rabies, and was believed to be a 'miracle-worker'. In this frame-story, it was only after an excavation of tombs that García Márquez is witness to the grave of a similar young girl with long red hair still attached to the skull, that he was inspired to write Of Love and Other Demons. Los personajes secundarios son un complemento excelente, aportan lo necesario a la historia y el autor les da el protagonismo que merecen. I had always loved reading books ranging from the religious ones in Latin to the forbidden 'books of chivalry' until one day I was deprived of my decrepit copy of 'Amadis of Gaul' and was coerced to devote my absolute faith in God rather than immersing myself in frivolities of chivalry. Fact number 2. The author's grandmother told to little Gabriel the story about a 12-year-old Marquis with long hair to the ground, died because of a bite from a rabid dog, and revered in the Caribbean for her many miracles.

Los personajes están muy bien construidos, creo que lo mejor es como el autor en su momento va explicando por qué actuaban como lo hacían, qué los llevó a estar donde estaban, además sin extenderse demasiado, un desarrollo perfecto. Eso sí, el marqués Ygnacio y su esposa Bernarda son de los peores padres que he leído en una novela. Simplemente detestables. Sierva María appears completely unscathed - but as rumours of the plague spread, the Marquis and his wife wonder at her continuing good health. In a town consumed by superstition, it's not long before they, and everyone else, put her survival down to a demonic possession and begin to see her supernatural powers as the cause of the town's woes. Only the young priest charged with exorcizing the evil spirit recognises the girl's sanity, but can he convince the town that it's not her that needs healing? Algunos pasajes de este libro son realmente maravillosos y es en ellos en donde el realismo mágico explota con mil colores, como en este caso: Sierva Maria, the protagonist adolescent, is raised by her father, Don Ygnacio de Alfaro y Duenas, and her Indian mother, Bernarda de Cabrera, who rejects Sierva, at an early age. She spends her childhood in slave quarters, learning their languages and culture. As a precocious child, she learns to dance before she could speak and drinks rooster’s blood before breakfast. Being alienated and raised by the slaves, she starts behaving weirdly from the rest of the children of her age. Her father, seeks help of the church, attributing her violent reactions and imbecility, to the contracted rabies! Le dijo que el amor era un sentimiento contra natura, que condenaba a dos desconocidos a una dependencia mezquina e insalubre, tanto más efímera cuanto más intensa."

Select a format:

No recuerdo casi nada de la película (2009). La vi hace más de una década y la califiqué 4 estrellas en IMDB, así que supongo que eso explica porque no conservo ningún recuerdo. Obviamente es bastante olvidable, y no voy a obligarme a verla otra vez. ¡Una vez ya fue suficiente! A violent surfacing of adolescence (which has little in common with Tarkington's earlier, broadly comic, Seventeen) has a compulsive impact. An ash-grey dog with a white blaze on its forehead burst on to the rough terrain of the market on the first Sunday of December'

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment