276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Vision of Loveliness

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book was an unexpected gem. I took a chance on it after seeing a review in one of the Emerald Street newsletters from some time ago. Because of my obsession with The Hour, I've found myself really interested in reading books set in that period, 1950-60s London, and especially those with interesting female characters. To audiences the club was sold as a product of the women’s liberation movement. Women who worked all week could now follow the example of the men and go out in groups to have a good time, no harm done. Money was rolling in, more so when the parade of random strip acts was ditched in favour of a Broadway-style show, complete with a story. But the business was growing too far, too fast and bigger personalities than even Banerjee wanted in on the action. This was not going to end well for some. This books certainly manages to create a vibrant atmosphere of London, and the world in which Janey and Suzy immerse themselves. I like that it doesn't try and sugar coat the truth - it lets the audience reach those conclusions on their own. It is a great peek behind the facade of female roles in the 50s-60s: expectation vs. reality. When she finds a crocodile handbag left in a pub, it leads her to Suzy St John, a girl-about-town with the glamour, confidence and irresistible allure that Jane has been practising for so long. Suzy takes Jane under her wing, and Jane becomes Janey, a near carbon-copy of her new best friend and a delighted adventurer in an easy, sleazy, sixties West-End world of part-time modelling and full-time man-trapping.

There’s a certain seediness wafting around A Vision of Loveliness: The Read (BBC4, Sunday, 8pm). If you haven’t come across The Read series before the idea is wonderfully simple. It’s one actor reading one story over one hour, in this case an adaptation of Louise Levene’s 1960s-set novel. Think Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads with sound effects, illustrations and short filmed scenes. The text is interspersed with snippets of advice about the way a girl should behave and dress from a book called ‘Lady be Good’. Suzy seems like the embodiment of all the book’s advice and Jane is more than happy when she takes her under her wing. What follows is an entertaining and dark story of girls about town living on next to nothing in borrowed flats and trying to get as many meals paid for by other people as possible – bearing in mind that they have to eat very little to maintain their svelte figures. Blurb - Jane James knows that she must have been born to better things than a dingy bedroom in her Aunt Doreen's house in Norbury and evenings spent eating gala pie and Heinz tinned potato salad in their 'sitting-cum-dining room'. So, armed with her well-thumbed copy of Lady Be Good, she practises her French turns, her killer smile and precisely how much thigh to show when crossing her legs, and dreams of a time when she can be a part of the world she glimpses through the Mayfair windows of the cashmere shop where she works. The couple moved outside her field of vision (= total area you can see from a particular position). Aside from Deloume, most of the narrative voices belong to the road's residents, during a late summer in the 1990s. Initially their lives seem unconnected – a Ukrainian butcher who struggles both with English and his eyesight, an ageing Native American artist, a pregnant Korean widow, and a mentally disabled young boy. But history brings them together.I loved the writing style in this book. There is a dry wit with some fantastic descriptions and one-liners of people and situations. A walk-on character is described as ‘some old trout called Felicity in what looked like a short-sleeved stair carpet . . .’; Jane is described when talking to Henry, Suzy’s lover, as ‘[making] no effort at all at normal conversation- as if she’d taken her batteries out to save power. . .’ Jane is not always a terribly likeable character but she does have many good points and I found myself sympathising with her because she wanted to make more of her life in an era when it was very difficult for a young woman to get anything like a well-paid job. This is biting social satire, drenched in extravagant shoes, jewellery and clothes. Levene has a pitch-perfect ear for dialogue, and while her two young heroines are vain, materialistic and manipulative, she deftly illuminates the psyche of this era – when women who wanted to "better themselves" had to make themselves appealing to men, married or otherwise. sight, view or vision? View is more literary than sight or vision. It is the only word for talking about how well you can see: I didn’t have a good sight/​vision of the stage. Vision must always be used with a possessive pronoun: my/​his/​her, etc. (field of) vision. It is not used with the prepositions in, into and out of that are very frequent with sight and view: There was nobody in vision. • A tall figure came into vision. Patterns Louise Levene is the author of A Vision of Loveliness, a BBC Book at Bedtime, which was also longlisted for the Desmond Elliott first novel prize, Ghastly Business and The Following Girls. She was the dance critic for the Sunday Telegraph for sixteen years and before that a dance writer on the Independent, but now works for the Financial Times. She lives in London with her husband and their two children.

Jane is not a your typically likable character but her sharp inner monologue is hilarious and her determination to make something out of herself is commendable, especially considering the era when it was hard for women to get a foothold. Jane takes every chance she can get.

Reviews

I raced through A Vision of Loveliness, taking great delight in its sharply resurrected period detail... It's a delight - funny, sad and clever' Barbara Trapido It was only after the first few chapters I remembered I had already read this book, but I recalled liking it the first time so I carried on. This book highlights very different situations for Jane; her life in Norbury with her narrow-minded, judgemental Aunt, a grimey, freezing flat in London filled with beautiful gowns and jewels to a short lived beautiful flat in Mayfair full of forgotten property of past mistresses. While glamour is prevalent to the story, none of the situations in the story are very appealing by the realistic descriptions Levene gives of the underbelly of 60’s London.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment